Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I think there are definite benefits to a Plan B. But I think that’s been discussed repeatedly and as @tsbna44 has indicated, won’t have an impact on this semester’s schedule. If the schedule is able to be changed to what I suggested upthread, OP will be able to do go down any path desired. I think continuing to bring that up at this juncture is is not helpful. Right now OP is just trying to get a grasp on college and getting a first semester load that won’t be overwhelming. Discussions on anything beyond the fall semester might want to be put on pause until OP knows how the first semester is going.

/Sincere

I believe that OP uses he/him pronouns, but @premed_equestrian can confirm.

/Reminder if I’m right

5 Likes

Everybody is different. Some feel less anxious knowing there are options in the event they need to slow down. Others do not want to think about it.

It’s not necessary to solidify a plan b today or 6 months from now. However, I do think it’s helpful to know they exist, especially given the extremely rigorous and competitive path that this student wants.

I actually think it will help this student focus on the present, but that just my opinion. It’s likely that he/she will not agree, and that is their choice.

1 Like

But OP has said otherwise - that’s what I’m getting at.

Thanks @AustenNut for understanding.

I’m not saying there won’t be a Plan B…just that it’s not helpful for the student to have it this early. They want to focus on their dream.

5 Likes

Yes you are right in that they do not appear to want to think about a plan b, agreed.

Their choice. I am suggesting a plan that could make the dream happen, that’s all. And yes, maybe it will happen without that plan, but an md/PhD program needs a plan, imo.

And again, it does not need to happen now or in the near future.

1 Like

This student is just 18 years old, chasing a lifelong dream, and doing so thoughtfully. I think this thread has been a bit harsh.

Totally agree that this “plan B” talk has been beaten into the OP in the last few days. They certainly by now fully understand there are alternate paths should that ever be of interest, but I suggest this thread should go back to helping OP as they feel they need at this time. I hope OP can be reminded how capable they are and what a great road is ahead! Starting college is so exciting!!

/ kindly to all

5 Likes

I will get back to the goal, which is to transition to a new school, make friends, meet people, join clubs, and create a realistic first semester schedule (which seems to be happening-yay).

OP your optimism and grit will get you far.

6 Likes

No need for Plan B now. All efforts should be going into making Plan A work and the OP’s heart sing. There will be time to pivot -’ with all the new info about what is interesting, challenging, etc. after this semester and year if needed or wanted.

Plenty of kids who end up with the grades and MCAT scores decide against med school too because something else called out to them along the way.

A college journey can show you destinations you may not have imagined at the outset as well as take you to the one you originally planned.

10 Likes

he/they, but yes. thank you for remembering!! actually studying rn so i’m glossing over this while I have my 5 min break. /happily

EDIT: it’s fine if you use she/her since sometimes i just use all pronouns for the sake of simplicity, so i won’t ever have an issue. just he/they is preferred is all. <3

4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying!

1 Like

yup. hence why i’ve decided to step away bc it got too much. it was too harsh, and while I know everyone is well-intentioned, drilling something super hard isn’t going to help much. I’m just trying to focus on things one step at a time as I go into a new chapter of my life. /warmly

now if you’ll excuse me i gotta go study <3

6 Likes

I’m not going to get involved in the Plan B discussion other than to say, having/not having a Plan B will not make any difference in first semester course choices. My daughters didn’t pick their Plan B until their junior/senior years.

However, if @premed_equestrian wants to apply for a MD/PhD, their choice of major is going to have a serious impact on their competitiveness for MD/PhD programs.

MD/PhD programs are substantially more competitive for admission than MD-only programs and carry a whole different set of expectations for applicants. While the typical pre-med ECs are still expected, what MD/PhD applicants are heavily judged on is their research experience and productivity. Why? Because MD/PhD candidates need to be independently accepted by both the graduate program and the medical school.

MD/PhDs need to hit the ground running when they begin their post-grad program. MD/PhDs will be taking both med school classes and also graduate level science classes in their area of research interest starting their first post-grad term. Any MD/PhD applicant who needs to remediate undergrad science classes to get them ready to take grad coursework simply aren’t going to be considered. To be considered for admission to a science PhD, an applicant needs to have a bachelors degree in the same discipline or a closely related subject area.

An English major just taking the minimum med school pre-reqs isn’t going to be a competitive applicant for MD/PhD program. They lack sufficient academic preparation to start grad level coursework on day one of their program.

Additionally, it’s going to be harder to find a research lab as an English major. And you will need extensive hands on lab experience, preferably an independent research project or senior research thesis if you want to be taken seriously as a PhD applicant.

in short, if a MD/PhD is your goal, then you’re sabotaging yourself by majoring in English

9 Likes

Question: Does the choice of major matter for the OP’s first semester? Can he stick with English for now and change next semester or next year, if that is what seems best?

As long as they graduate with a BS in a biological science field it doesn’t matter what their first semester class schedule looks like.

Statistics for MD/PhD matriculants vs. MD-only matriculations

Number of applicants 2022-23
2093 ⎮ 55182

Number of positions offered 2022-23
709 ⎮ 22712

Median GPA of matriculants 2022-23
3.82 ⎮ 3.75

Median sGPA of matriculants 2022-23
3.79 ⎮ 3.68

Median MCAT score of matriculants 2022-23
517 (94th percentile) ⎮ 511 (81st percentile)

Acceptance rate 2022-23
33.8% ⎮ 41%

5 Likes

Thank you for posting. Those acceptance rates are actually higher than I thought.

Thank you for discussing choice of major.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the md/phd information. Is the average age of matriculating md/phds also 24-25, similar to MDs? Meaning it can be difficult for college students to be competitive applicants spring of/summer after junior year?

1 Like

So then only a biological sciences major would be sufficient? Does that mean I’d have to change my major again to be given a good shot? /curious but also now extra stressed

Yes, MD/PhD applicants tend to be 24-25 yo when applying.

It is now the norm for MD/PhD applicants to spend 2-4 years engaging in post -grad research to beef up their research credentials before applying for a MD/PhD. 2 year NIH research fellowships are a fairly common post grad activity as is working as a full time research associate at a research intensive medical school or R-1 university.

A 2022 research piece in JCI Isight showed that over 75% of MD/PhD matriculants had 2-4 gap years before starting the graduate program.

The increasing prevalence of gap year before med school, plus longer research track residencies and fellowship that MD/PhDs take, and the almost mandatory post-docs has increased the length of the training pipeline for MD/PhDs with 43 being the typical age for a first junior faculty non-tenured appointment

4 Likes

Another question! If I did MD and then later decided to do PhD, would it be okay to keep the English major? /wondering

1 Like

If you want to apply for MD/PhD programs you need a science (or engineering if pursuing engineering type research) bachelor’s degree that is directly relevant to the research field you wish to pursue as a PhD candidate.

Another question! If I did MD and then later decided to do PhD, would it be okay to keep the English major? /wondering

Theoretically possible, though you would need to convince the doctoral admission committee you possess the knowledge equivalent to a specialized biology bachelors–which a MD alone won’t provide.

You would likely still need to take additional formal grad-level coursework before applying to a PhD program.

1 Like