Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

It’s called a combined major at NEU, but technically…yes? I think it just counts as one major at NEU. /honest, a little confused

Biology and English, BS | Northeastern University Academic Catalog

I think it counts as just one major, at least. /confused

And yeah- I’m planning to minor in French. /warmly

I was going to ask about this as well. You know…there is absolutely NO reason why any student needs a second major and/or a minor. Best to choose a major, and do well in that.

I don’t know about NEU, but other folks I knew who minored in a language took it every single term for four years.

2 Likes

I understand- I just really want to pursue a French minor given how much I love learning it, and I’ve wanted to pursue it at the collegiate level since I was a freshman in HS. I could ask my advisor how the classes would line up, but since I’m in intermediate French 1, and I’m far beyond that level (only reason I’m saying this is because I know my own skill level and I’m already certified past that level, I just fell behind after not studying French this year.) /musing

Would it be unwise to take on French classes now? Maybe start later on, in a year? /wondering, curious

2 Likes

Reason for doing biology + English as official majors + French, as opposed to choosing one subject for your major + any additional pre-med courses + any electives of interest in any subject?

2 Likes

Well- I tend to do best with subjects I have a passion for and/or are interested in- I do exceptionally well in English, and as for Biology, I love medicine and it’s an easier way to get my premed requirements in, instead of doing an English major and then just having to figure out how to work my premed stuff in. As for French, I think I already mentioned why. /thoughtful

You can major in anything and take the required courses for medical school admissions as electives. You do NOT need a second major in biology to do this. Thousands of medical school applicants do just this…major in whatever they want and like…and take the premed required courses for applicants as electives.

I’m quite sure there must be a health careers advisor at NEU who can advise you how to do this.

4 Likes

I appreciate the advice! In all honesty, I want to stick with this major- I think it’ll be exciting. /warmly, appreciative

I would only major in English while taking the premed classes. The goal here is to keep a very high gpa and I am afraid you are biting off a lot. Your advisor will help you navigate what is required.

6 Likes

You need math, and only one english class. But yes, this is way too much. Chem and lab, the one credit bio overview, math (or youll forget it), easy french, and one english. That is it. You need to get A grades if you want med school, so 4 classes a semester is enough. The schedule theyre proposing is both insane and deficient, without math.

6 Likes

There’s math in the second semester- here-
Spring Semester

• MATH 1341 Calculus 1 for Science and Engineering
  • BIOL 2299 Inquiries in Biological Sciences
    CHEM 2311/2312 Organic Chemistry 1 w/lab
  • Either ENGL 1160 Intro to Rhetoric OR ENGL 1410 Intro to Research on Writing

I’m sure the schedule will be adjusted, as this is a sample schedule, as they indicated to me. /thoughtful

Huh? Only one semester gen chem, and then youre in orgo in the spring? Wow. Search northeasterns website for recommended premed course rubrics. Btw, this schedule has me having anxiety nightmares just looking at it!

4 Likes

Here’s what the website for premed/pre health advising says for requirements:

Academic policies and course requirements are school specific. Students should research requirements and plan a program of study as early as possible in consultation with both their academic and prehealth advisor to to determine the best way to successfully complete their required coursework. Please refer to the relevant information and website(s) below, as well as official admissions guidebooks, for detailed requirements.

Note: Corequisite laboratories are required for most basic science courses.

• Biology (two semesters)
  • General chemistry (two-semester sequence or a single-semester general chemistry course)
  • Organic chemistry (two-semester sequence)
  • Physics (two-semester sequence)
  • Biochemistry (one semester; prerequisites: organic chemistry 2 and genetics and molecular biology)
  • Mathematics (one semester each of calculus and statistics)
  • Writing (two semesters of writing-based social science or humanities/English composition coursework)
  • Behavioral sciences (an introductory psychology and sociology course are recommended for MCAT preparation but typically not required for admission)

I think my schedule fits with the requirements. Right? /confused, unsure

I’ll weigh in. If you take the first semester of organic chemistry your spring semester freshman year…does this mean you will take the second semester after the summer break? Don’t do that.

For courses where two semesters are required…take the first semester in the fall, and the second in the spring.

The health careers advisor should be working with you on this.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ll work with my advisors once they contact me- I haven’t met them yet. /warmly

And I’ll take your advice! /appreciative

@WayOutWestMom can you weigh in on the course requirements for medical school wannabes?

Ok, i see. That all in one semester gen chem must cover a ton of material. Please listen to what people are telling you. The schedule theyre proposing for you is way too much.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a way to do the combined major and still modify the schedule. I’ll have to ask my advisor. /musing

Remember, you can ramp it up after a successful first semester.

In all honesty, you are not doing yourself any good by even attempting a double major, and did you say a minor as well? Sorry, I can’t keep up with everything. Remember, it only takes one bad semester to tank a med school worthy GPA. I would recommend, not just to you but most freshmen, start slowly first semester. Getting used to college takes time and you seem to want to go in guns blazing.

8 Likes

This seems to be somewhat of a trend, probably so that chemistry departments can reduce the number of biology majors consuming their instructional capacity (if non-pre-med or weeded-out-pre-med biology majors take only one instead of two semesters of general chemistry before organic chemistry, that reduces the instructional load). Michigan, Notre Dame, UCB, and Stanford are other colleges where biology majors can begin organic chemistry after less than a year of general chemistry.