Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I’ll talk to my folks and figure out a plan. But yeah, I’ll figure it out. /sheepish

I’ll email the RA and see what can be done to avoid exposure. And I’ll keep my meds on me at all times. /thoughtful

1 Like

I’m going to be an optimist and hope that with knowledge of the OP’s health condition, they will inform the cat owner that her cat cannot leave her room and/or be in any common spaces in the dorm. Should she not comply, she will not be able to stay in the dorm.

It seems unlikely that the school has not encountered this before and has no way of assigning responsibility for complications.

The cat may be a reason that its human is in a single.

I recall DS’ roommate questionnaire asked if he would be comfortable living in a room with a dog. I don’t think he could request to not live in the dorm in which his classmate with a seeing eye dog lived.

The OP has said upthread that everybody is in a single, I’ve never heard of that.

Some newer dorms are all single rooms. Perhaps that is they type of dorm the OP will be residing in.

Re: secondary cat stuff…are you saying that even cat hair on a persons coat or something could cause you issues? How do you know this? I have a cat and I go on public transportation, out to restaurants, to the grocery and shopping places…and easily could be near you. And what I’m saying is…others who own cats likely have been in proximity to you someplace.

I think you need to speak to your allergist…and get some firm direction from that person.

If this is that severe, perhaps commuting from home should be considered.

5 Likes

I was wondering if this student had severe reactions in HS from kids in their class who had cats, given it might be on their coat or book bag. It seems the answer is no, which is very good but a little confusing.

2 Likes

My sister has similar a sounding cat allergy to the OP. She can’t be in someone’s house that has a cat, even if the cats are out of the room. She gets hives first, congestion, and if she stays long enough, her breathing is affected.

She obviously doesn’t come to my house very often. If she does (~5-10 times in 30 years), she stays doped up on Benadryl, only sits on hard surfaced chairs, and only stays for a little while (< 30 minutes) Houses where the cat hair is regularly vacuumed off of floors and furniture (like mine, since I’m also allergic to my cats, though nothing like her) are better than someone who doesn’t.

When my parents bought their lake house, it came with a sofa and the previous owner had cats. My parents had it professionally cleaned 3x and even then my sister couldn’t sit on that couch without becoming affected. They had to get rid of it.

So long story short… A stray hair isn’t likely to cause problems. But, if the cat is allowed to regularly lounge on a communal upholstered chair/sofa, the OP may very likely have problems the whole year.

4 Likes

Understood. My point is…there could be pet owners with cat hairs on their clothes just about everywhere where pet cats are allowed.

I think the residence life staff needs to enforce the “stay in your own room” for pets policy. But then…I would say this even without allergies!

Hastings has singles throughout, you can see so here- Northeastern University Housing Hastings Hall /warmly

-which. That’s my dorm. /whelp

It’s not really a hair issue. It’s the dander on the cat and settles. My sister has no problems when I visit, and I bring plenty of cat hair on me whenever I go. But, if a cat sleeps or spends a couple of hours on a chair, it’s going to shake lots of dander into the upholstery, and that’s when it’s hard to get out.

2 Likes

Yup, basically that’s what it is. If the cat’s been around the halls, communal study spaces, etc, I’ll get allergic even if it’s not in the room. /agreeing

I don’t know what triggers it exactly but I would think it’s the dander. /musing

2 Likes

You need to have a serious conversation NOW with your allergist.

3 Likes

I’ll speak to my doctor and see what they say. Although I’m just thinking maybe the strong allergy meds will be enough and I’ll keep them on me at all times. Hopefully the cat won’t be an issue, although I’ll need to make sure the RA and others are aware of the allergy. /sighing

Is it just cat allergies? Not dog, dust, etc?

I have dog allergies but they’re significantly manageable compared to cat allergies.(see here: I have a dog myself so immune system doesn’t flip out versus with cats) -But yes, just cat allergies for the situation we’re talking about. /hoping that’s good clarification

1 Like

Free unsolicited advice. If you have any allergies (cat plus anything else), this needs to be conveyed to the disability office NOW. If this is that severe, it should have been communicated well before now.

Anyone having an ESA has a need for one that has been documented.

3 Likes

What types of meds do you take? We take a daily like Claritin, plus Flonase, and have Sudafed (behind the counter kind) for extra help during the day, Benadryl for night or day emergencies.

1 Like

I didn’t think I’d have to deal with a cat in the dorm? So I didn’t disclose it with the DRC, but I can let them know. /sighing, whelp

1 Like

I take Benadryl, I’m pretty sure. I don’t think I can take anything else due to my medicines interacting. /i could be wrong but that’s what I remember

1 Like

For anyone else reading this thread…if you have severe allergies to ANYTHING, it is prudent to disclose this to your college.

4 Likes

I would disclose it, and going forward assume there will be ESAs in whatever dorm bldg you are in. If you move off campus ultimately, many apartment bldgs are also pet friendly, so something to keep in mind.

3 Likes