Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I am saying this gently, but as an adult you need to understand every med you are taking and why, as well as what meds may interact with those, and then what allergy meds are options.

1 Like

And you probably should be carrying medication info on your person at all times. Do you have something like a medic alert thing?

1 Like

…yeah. I’m going to do that. /sheepishly

I have a medical ID on my phone, but like. I use a drug interaction checker to see what interacts with my meds and what doesn’t. But yeah, I do have a medical ID on my phone. /sheepishly

Get something printed out and keep it on your person. Is your phone locked? If it is, no one will be able to access this info if you are unable to give it to them. Be prepared.

1 Like

I’ll do that. I’ll just print it out and keep in my school bag and in my purse as well. /sheepishly

2 Likes

Keep it with your identification.

I would assume that cat dander from last year’s cats and the previous years’ will be in the lounge, so you may react there even if this year’s cat doesn’t go in there.

I guess this is part of learning to manage your way in the world. It’s harder for someone with allergies and health difficulties, but you can do it.

4 Likes

5 Likes

My husband has severe allergies when around cats. He also has allergies when the cats are removed and the house is cleaned, but the allergies are much, much less severe. He’s not 100% comfortable, but he’s ok.

OP if your allergies are severe enough that your throat closes due to secondhand allergens, then you need to get this taken care of before moving into the dorm. What you are describing sounds dangerous.

2 Likes

Definitely not saying to solely rely on it (can’t guarantee that everyone will know how to access it) but definitely a good tool.

1 Like

Excellent…if the phone is working and there is service. A back up in writing kept with the ID is a good idea…in my opinion.

One thing will help with the cat allergy— masking in the public spaces of your dorm. A N-95 or similar or even a regular procedure mask will prevent any inhalation exposure to cat dander.

1 Like

Totally agree! Just listing it out as one viable option out of many that can/should be used and making sure to note that it can be used when the phone is locked.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely do that. And yes, I’m in the process of getting it addressed with the school + Housing. I appreciate everyone’s concern. /warmly

Edit- to avoid confusion on the severity of my allergies (cat-specific)- my throat can close up (it has before due to the hives), I get severe hives, lots of sneezing and coughing, and watery itchy eyes.

I will try wearing a mask in the hall, as well as going out of Hastings to study instead, as well as keeping a medical ID on me and my allergy meds. They have stated the cat is not in a room near me and I will not have to be near it at all, but I have asked about what other options there are in terms of my allergies and the cat. /hoping this is a good explanation

3 Likes

I’m… all moved in. And tired. Really tired because I didn’t sleep much last night. And a new era begins. /happy, excited, but also exhausted

I’m so excited, y’all. But I’m probably going to nap first. /happily

9 Likes

mini update: hi I think I’ve actually made a few friends but that’s not my update- I dropped Gov and added Intro to Religious Studies instead because it worked with my schedule and I heard a lot of good things about the professor from some students- also requested + set up accommodations for the semester and I’m excited for classes to start on the 6th! that’s it, go huskies! /happily

11 Likes

Excellent news. Enjoy!

1 Like

Glad your schedule is set. Focus on meeting people now. The first two weeks, everyone wants to find friends in an intense friending frenzy.

4 Likes

Never heard the phrase “intense friending frenzy” before - perfection.

2 Likes