Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I am not saying you are not fluent and am not making a statement as to your fluency. I apologize if I came off that way as that was not my intention.

I was honestly and seriously trying to determine how somebody (not you specifically) can be called “fluent” in a language, because I consider my own daughter to be fluent and she disagrees with me. My post was not a critique of you, I promise.

1 Like

I meant to say all that at @SouthYankie - not you!! You’re perfectly fine. /sheepish, laughing a little at my own klutziness

1 Like

Even those who know a language at an advanced level typically do not consider themselves at the level of an educated native speaker. Language is at times about culture and multiple meanings and allusions and more. This might be what your daughter means by not being fluent.

2 Likes

I just read this whole thread and am glad you seem to be sorting thru things and will go with just one major.

The other thing I want to say is that multiple times you have said things like ‘they’ tell me, or recommend I take XYZ when talking about advising, the academic catalog, etc…but it’s YOU who are in charge of building your schedule every semester and I encourage you to drive the process each and every time you meet with an advisor. Your 4 year course plan will help with this.

If you have an advisor you feel is not listening to you or you just aren’t simpatico with, get another one. You may not have that option with the pre-health advising, so start building a good relationship this summer with someone there.

Good luck to you, /rooting for you as part of you CC team :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I did not make any determination, Northeastern did.

As for me, I took 2 semesters of introductory French decades ago.

Again this is how school works. Many times you don’t take the next class for a semester or three.

1 Like

I’m a bit like your daughter. My father was a native speaker of a foreign language and spoke it to me (but due to cultural reasons, it was not the same amount of talking as might be expected in a US-envisioned father/child relationship). I attended an immersion school for three years, was taking lit classes at a local college while in high school, majored in the language, studied abroad for a year in a country where the language was spoken (and only spoke the foreign language), and even went to grad school in the language for 2 years (dropped out of the PhD part). I never considered myself fluent in the language, though I did consider myself proficient. Others considered me fluent but, like your daughter, I have a very high bar for fluency.

For me, being fluent in a language is having very-near to native fluency in all aspects of the language. Sure, I could talk about history, literature, and politics in the language. But if you asked me to go to the hardware store and ask about a bunch of different tools, I’d be pulling out a dictionary. Or talking about baking vs. roasting vs. broiling? Again, back to the dictionary. Or talking about finance and interest rates and spreadsheets, etc? Nowhere near fluent. Unless I was able to go into pretty much any environment and was able to speak using the appropriate vocabulary (and not work-arounds) the way I would in my own native language, I would not consider myself fluent.

/Realizing that I’m swerving OT, but producing my own personal definition of fluency with no reflection of whether @premed_equestrian is fluent

ETA: Missed this while I was writing my post

That could be what OP’s daughter meant. But one time when I was traveling in a different foreign country, I came across a group of people who’s native language was the same as my father’s. Because I knew certain idioms and allusions, they argued that I should consider myself fluent. But because of what I wrote above about the practicalities of language and not just intellectual uses of it, I continue to disagree. :slight_smile: And mind you, I’ve used the language very little over the past many, many years, so my language skills are definitely not at the level they used to be. Unfortunately, if you don’t use it, you lose it!

2 Likes

I guess to deviate from fluency, how exactly should I map out 8 semesters of the English major w/premed? If we exclude French (for now.) because I am very confused on how I should be looking at doing that. /honest

You need to speak to your advisor and the pre health careers advisor. They will help you lay out your course of study. Important because they will know the course sequences, etc.

Are you planning a four year course of study, or do you plan to do a coop option.

3 Likes

Planning to do the coop option, although I think it’s possible to do 4 years with coop. /thoughtfully

I think it’s not very easy to graduate in four years if every other term at some point becomes a coop. You need to find this out.

@TomSrOfBoston do you know if a coop student at NEU can actually finish in four years if doing the coop option?

1 Like

Here is a sample 4 year plan for English off the Northeastern website, so you can use this plan as a template.

https://catalog.northeastern.edu/undergraduate/social-sciences-humanities/english/english-ba/#planofstudytext

3 Likes

Advisors should be able to help. Also figure out how many credits of pre-med requirements you need and how many of English. Assuming they are about equal, half of your credits every semester should be related to your major and half to pre-med. adjust if they are not equal. Also take some of the other requirements like foreign language and writing etc in freshman year.

1 Like

changing my major as we speak, emailing admissions because my stinkin’ “change major” button got removed from my portal /whelp

1. Create a checklist of your course requirements (so your general ed requirements, major requirements, premed requirements). (Either with actual checks or where you can strikethrough, or change the color or something, to indicate when you’ve actually placed the requirement.)

2. On your checklist, note if any classes have to be taken concurrently or have certain prereqs.

3. On your spreadsheet, have the 8 columns, one for each semester. I noticed in looking at some of NU’s planned courses of study that they often include summers part 1 & 2, as that often came into play with co-ops. In which case, you could have 14 columns (1st year fall, spring, summer 1, summer 2…repeat for years 2, 3, and 4, but with no summer on year 4).

4. Begin placing the classes from your checklist onto the spreadsheet, making sure to indicate on the checklist that I class has been placed. Keep doing that until all the classes have been placed onto the spreadsheet, and there’s your 4-year plan!

1. Go back and double-check that all classes on the checklist were really used and that prereqs are taken before the classes that require them (or that corequisites were taken together).

Alternatively, you could also do this with pencil and paper if you prefer doing physical work. Or you could even have an index card or post-it note with each class (or class w/corequesite, as it would need to be done in concert regardless). Then have a sheet of paper denoting each semester (a la 8/14 columns in step 3), and then place the index cards where they fit (perhaps do this on a poster for ease of moving your schedule around). Then if you want to move a class around, you can just physically move it. Afterwards, take a picture of it and then type it up in a table or spreadsheet.

/Hoping what makes sense in my head makes sense typed out

5 Likes

I’m a longtime lurker in your two threads, OP, but I wanted to jump in and say that as an incoming freshman, it’s difficult and overwhelming to map out a four-year plan like the one you’re proposing (it’s not impossible to carry out the plan – just to map it when you might not have a real grasp on the programs, gen ed requirements, etc.). I really recommend that you work with academic advisors in the English department and in a pre-med advisory office (assuming one exists – there’s often a premed advisor housed in one of the relevant departments) to come up with a rough four-year plan that includes your major (and maybe a minor), a premed track, and university general studies requirements. Sequencing courses and balancing your schedule will be second-nature to these academic advisors, whereas it will often be baffling for you as an incoming (or even continuing) student. I recommend meeting with these advisors every semester to plan courses and adjust the four-year map as you go, because not every course will be offered every semester. You might want to work with someone in disability services, as well. It’s easy to make a mistake that might cost you a semester (because you don’t take a prerequisite course early enough, for instance), but these advisors will be experienced enough to catch these kinds of pitfalls.

7 Likes

Thank you! We’re supposed to hear from our advisors next week to schedule a time/day to meet, so I’ll make sure to speak to my advisor(s) about it. /warmly

7 Likes

In other words, you are more fluent (speaking) than literate (writing). This is not unusual among heritage speakers, although you are not a heritage speaker.

It does not look like Northeastern offers French for heritage speakers that focuses mainly on writing skills for fluent speakers, unless FRNH 2900/3900 is used for that.

Yup. My reading, listening, speaking scores were all C1- and on the AAPL (for Seal of Biliteracy), the highest score you can get is A1, which is what I got for those sections. So I’m fluent in speaking/reading/listening, just not in writing/grammar. /shrugging

All curricula at Northeastern are now designed to be completed in 4 years with two 6 month coop periods, although the 5 year option remains in most programs. It is easy if a student comes in with AP credits. Even without AP credits it can be done but would likely require a student to do a summer session or two. The summer session seems to be anathema to some students/parents prior to enrolment but not after the student gets into the swing of things.

Here are some generic sample class/coop patterns:
Co-op Options | Employer Engagement and Career Design (northeastern.edu)

As an entering freshman it is way too early to worry about the specifics of coop. The earliest a student would do a coop period is second semester of sophomore year.

5 Likes

Don’t worry about mapping out your major now. Your stated dream is to become a doctor, and for that you need A’s in the premeds, so set yourself up for that. Assuming that NEU offers a slower 2 semester gen chem sequence that is acceptable for premeds, start with the first semester of that with lab, and do the modernstates chem course this summer. Calculus, if you can get yourself ready for it this summer, by doing the modernstates Calc program, and if you’re not ready for that, do their precalc program first, and then their calc program, 'cause guess what? College math at a good school begins with Calculus - anything less than that is remedial. The reason not to wait on the Calc is that the farther you get away from high school math, the tougher it will be to resurrect that, but meanwhile, you don’t have math by itself on the MCAT (although a semester of Calc and a semester of Stats is required by some med schools), and you really only need a little bit of Calc for Physics down the road. A highly-rated English class. And if you have a language requirement at Northeastern (I think that they do), then that first semester of 2nd year French class, which should be very easy for you. That would be a reasonable course load for your first semester.

The college application process is not a fairy tale, or a Victorian novel, where the ending is a happy wedding, and they ride off into the sunset together. You don’t want your biggest accomplishment to be that you got into the main campus of NEU. You want to set yourself up for a first semester with straight A’s, 'cause that’s what you’ll need to get into med school. You can worry about your major after you’ve gotten off to a great start in your first semester.

5 Likes