Freshman Year: Chaos ensues

I see! I’m gonna try figuring out the courseload. They said my major change is going to take a week to go through, because of the high volume of emails. That means that all the orientation sessions for the College of Social Sciences and Humanities will be full and let’s just hope they can transfer me to the session I’m already signed up for. /sighing

And thanks for the advice. /warmly

EDIT: I signed up for the modernstates precalc class because I’m playing it safe and doing a review of what I did this semester in HS. /happily

1 Like

Sometimes schools will lay out potential 4 year plans for specific majors/career goals, you may want to dig into NEU catalog and department pages to see if those are offered. I don’t think it is a bad plan to look through and plot out the different ways you can reach your goals over the next 4 years. It might help you to think more flexibly about your options.

3 Likes

I’m going to do that! I’m gonna map it out after a little bit today, but I definitely will be making a 4 year plan. /warmly

You can try this quiz to see what topics of precalculus you may need to review before taking calculus:
http://www.math.buffalo.edu/rur/rurci3.cgi

Thanks for the link. I’m actually already doing the precalc class now as I type, so I should get back to that. But I appreciate it, and given my HORRIFIC final exam grade this semester for HS precalc, I’d rather be safe than sorry. /warmly

1 Like

Good! Do the Chem too, at the same time. And then the Calc. The idea is to have already done the online courses for these tough science and math classes, so that you’re familiar with the material when it’s presented to you at a presumably higher level and breakneck speed at NEU.

I had 99th% SATs, National Merit, high school Calc, and a very good high school chem class, and I still crashed and burned when I took these two classes freshman year at an Ivy, wound up doing a completely different major, and a few yrs later did a postbac yr to finish up the premeds. You have to prepare yourself, by doing these classes ahead of time this summer, to maximize your chances of doing well.

2 Likes

So the chem and precalc at the same time, then do calc? /clarifying for the online prep classes

also the “plan of study” for my major has me SPINNING I cannot wait to talk to my advisor /sighing

I’m confused. Are you planning to perhaps take Chem online? If that is a required course for medical school admissions, please check to see if all medical and DO schools accept online courses for their applicants.

@WayOutWestMom might know the answer to this.

1 Like

I’m doing the modernstates.org precalc online prep class that @parentologist suggested I do, and the Chem as well. I’m not planning to use these classes for anything other than just getting myself strong in these subjects so I’m not flailing when I enter NEU. /warmly

1 Like

I think this is a non-credit review Course so OP can be well prepared for first semester.

1 Like

Is the chemistry course a college chemistry course? Or some remedial type of course?

yup!! /warmly

college chemistry…? i think so, yeah, college course chemistry. /thoughtful

I understand now. Keep in mind…you won’t be able to take a prep course before every single college course you take.

I agree that a strong first semester is important. You need to not overextend yourself. Plan to have a good study regimen. Learn when office hours are. NEVER miss a class…and pay attention! Get a tutor if needed.

Best advice from my kids…do homework immediately…don’t delay it. Just get it done. Than it won’t be hanging over your head…or forgotten until the last minute.

2 Likes

That’s some good advice! I’ll be sure to remember that. Now if you’d excuse me- I’m off to finish that precalc module I was doing. /warmly

I’ll keep y’all updated. Stay tuned as the weeks go by. /happily

4 Likes

Update- NEU has a program for incoming freshman who are weak in chemistry called Ramp Up Chemistry, free prep course for those who need it so looks like I’m going to do that instead of the modernstates chem class. For added context, they already added me to the program via Canvas. /happily

Also got two course assignments (teachers, halls, etc) and uh… it’s interesting. More to come once my major change is official. They’re now saying it’ll be done by the time orientation rolls around (last week of this month), so let’s see. /sighing

6 Likes

Chemistry - Modern States looks like it covers the material in college general chemistry, although it is intended as preparation for the CLEP test in chemistry rather than actual college credit on its own.

If a student takes such a course but does not take the CLEP test, then takes general chemistry at an actual college, would the student need to mark a “repeat” when applying to medical school?

I think I’ll just unenroll from the modernstates one and do the NEU prep they’re advising me to do for chem. /thoughtful

2 Likes

This is probably a review of high school chemistry that is commonly assumed to be a prerequisite for college general chemistry. It is generally a good idea to do this before college general chemistry if your high school chemistry knowledge is weak, or you did not have any kind of high school chemistry (regular or AP).

2 Likes

I took Honors Chem in sophomore year, so I’m rusty, hence why I need to do the course. /sheepish

2 Likes