From these stats, it looks like A&M only saves 12% of slots for Review candidates

<p>Tell me if I'm wrong. Got these stats from Texas High Ed Data website. Looks to me like 87% of the people who get accepted are automatics:</p>

<p>Top 10% take up 50%
Top 25% take up another 36%. I'm assuming these are the automatic academic admits. </p>

<h1>So only 12% left for review candidates.</h1>

<p><a href="http://www.txhighereddata.org/index.cfm?objectId=27282A55-A77E-2A0D-87B58BE320C6B099"&gt;http://www.txhighereddata.org/index.cfm?objectId=27282A55-A77E-2A0D-87B58BE320C6B099&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Summer & Fall 2013
Total applied: 30,065
Total accepted: 20,745 (69%)
• # of accepted coming from top 10%: 10,596 (51%)
• From top 25% (not counted in top 10): 7,529 (36%) Probably automatic academic admits
• From “other criteria”: 2,620 (12%) Probably “reviews”. </p>

<p>Summer & Fall 2012
Total applied: 27,798
Total accepted: 18,663 (67%)
• # of accepted coming from top 10%: 9,971 (53%)
• From top 25% (not counted in top 10): 6,456 (34%) Probably automatic academic admits
• From “other criteria”: 2,236 (12%) Probably “reviews”. </p>

<p>Yes, you’re wrong. I’ll see if you can figure out where your logic was off before I’ll tell you how you’re wrong.</p>

<p>Yup, you’re wrong… first off, not all top 25% students are automatic admits. Review students can go form kids in the 11% up percentile. Also, there’s multiple forms of acceptance for A&M… so really, auto accepts: using your “51%” + 11-25% of auto-admits which is probably <20%, so leaving probably 20-30% acceptance for review students. All depends on applicant pool. </p>

<p>Thanks itscole. Hey annie - get a life</p>

<p>Heh… @bulbar, if you would like to learn how to interpret statistics, i’ll be glad to tell you what you were missing. you might actually learn something instead of having to rely on other people to spoon feed you information. (note: itscole also missed the obvious in that report).</p>

<p>The only thing obvious here @annie2018 is your condescending attitude. @Bulbar simply asked a question, he/she did not deserve your snotty response. If indeed you are the queen of statistics, perhaps your energy might be better spent explaining the flaw in the logic. Then again, at this point I think we’d all rather not hear it…at least not from you. </p>

<p>Oh yeh… I forgot that everyone on here wants things to be delivered to him/her. How dare I suggest that he try to figure it out first before I tell him. </p>

<p>Then one wonders why people feel entitled today.</p>

<p>You can only get rough estimates from the data due to the formula of rank+ scores for academic admits & they are not linked in any of the reports. The figures you pulled for top 10% included OOS & Intl, which are not eligible for top 10% admission (academic only) for 2013 the number would be 10308 TX top 10%. But, since your goal was to find the % of the accepted pool that are review candidates, it really doesn’t change much. What is really a bigger factor is the increase in top 10% applying to A&M each year, the outside factor is the huge increase in media coverage in the last few years and the increase in status of the university ( it is on the rise in most categories). The good news for you is that your twin that is a potential review admit is seeking a major that is not as popular & rolling admissions do not eliminate most of the spots, so upon review admission her chances are better for full admission. The other twin who is auto admit will need to apply very early as the word will be out regarding the major being full this past year earlier than in the past & auto/acad. admits not being able to get their major. As a side note, you can apply and continue to test - sending updates of higher scores up through December. I’d suggest that route-good luck!</p>

<p>AGmomx2 - a couple of questions. For my twin who who is not an automatic. I thought her choice of major had zero effect on her chances to get in. I thought she had to get in first, and then they looked to see if her major was full or not. No?</p>

<p>For the twin who is an auto. So Mechanical Enginnering was full for Fall 2013 earlier than usual? How much earlier? So it’s just first come, first served? Any idea how many total spots they had? </p>

<p>Her major does not have impact on her admission to the university, BUT once you are admitted then they look at your major to see if there is a slot for you. By full admission I meant with her desired major (sorry for the confusion bad wording on my part) she would not be in an ‘overflow’ situation like in Engineering & Business majors for example which traditionally are full before everyone that has applied gets a university admission decision.</p>

<p>Regarding engineering, yes, it is filled first come first served with auto/academic admits (with the math min. required) and the occasional review admit until 85% full. The remaining auto/academic students compete with all other review candidates for the last 15% of admissions to engineering. </p>

<p>A&M is a rolling admissions school meaning that students are admitted as they apply to the university & to their majors -they do not wait until the close of application period to evaluate all applications like many other schools do. In recent years, both Engineering and Business (maybe others?) are filling up before those later applications are getting reviewed for admission. Auto/academic applicants do not compete with each other for slots in their majors, once you qualify for university admission you get the next slot until the limit set for being full is reached for that major. </p>

<p>Applications usually come out August 1st. No one knows what submission date will be the cutoff date each year giving you admission to your major. There really is no reason to wait. You can always add to your file later if needed. Don’t worry, there is room for your son - you just should plan to apply early since he will be an auto admit. </p>

<p>ok, thanks so much</p>