Full ride + 10k Eng. Scholarship? What happens to the 10k?

<p>Hi, I got a full ride that includes everything (meal plan, study abroad, OOS tuition, room) thanks to bring a NMSF and probable NMF.</p>

<p>I just recently found out I got an additional 10k at 2.5k a year and I may be getting more scholarships.</p>

<p>My question is where would this money go? Living expenses?</p>

<p>Please help me ASAP as I’m touring tomorrow so I need to get my facts straight.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! :)</p>

<p>jsyk, NMF doesn’t cover meal plan.</p>

<p>The NM scholarship at Alabama does not include the meal plan. So you could use the additional scholarship money to pay for your meals, fees and of course, books. </p>

<p>My son, for example, is a NM student. He earned additional scholarships while in high school, and he was able to use that money to pay his fees (course and lab fees are not cheap, as his will run about $250 next semester) and meal plan during his freshman year. Over the course of his two-plus years at UA, he has won additional scholarships, so he used that money to offset his airfare en route to his study abroad last summer. </p>

<p>Should you have a credit to your student receivables account (which will show your semester costs), the university will refund the difference.</p>

<p>:O thanks for the info about the meal plan!</p>

<p>Momreads, since you have a son who has already been through this, are there any other nice scholarships worth applying for or worth asking about during my private tour/talks tomorrow? (I’m going into Engineering)</p>

<p>Thanks for answering so quickly :)</p>

<p>I doubt that you’d be eligible for any additional scholarships from Bama, since you’re getting the NMF and eng’g scholarship.</p>

<p>However, apply to scholarships in your hometown. Ask your GC about those. And, look on your school’s website (in the GC area)…sometimes scholarships are mentioned there.</p>

<p>Thanks :-)</p>

<p>All of y’all who know about UA and the honors program, what makes it “special” and “above the rest”?</p>

<p>I’m trying to see like internships, class sizes, other good people/non-partiers to live around, and just what kind of campus feel does it have.</p>

<p>Any insight would be greatly appreciated! =)</p>

<p>Any extra money you have remaining comes back in the form of a refund check to be spent as you desire!</p>

<p>Bama’s Honors College is amazing for several reasons…</p>

<p>1) The LAC-like classes that it offers. If you pull down the current course listings, there are just so many that will catch your eye. And, every semester, new ones are added. </p>

<p>2) the small class sizes - intimate, discussion-based. Usually taught by the best profs.</p>

<p>3) The Honors College Directors - they’re just so student-focused. And, they’re like having extra parents on campus. They aren’t just interested in you “school-wise”. </p>

<p>4) The Honors Dorms - they’re on the north side of campus which is typically more quiet. The honors students are often more academically-focused and usually in the more challenging majors.</p>

<p>5) Priority Registration - Honors students get to register for classes before the other students.</p>

<p>6) The Honors College Assembly - the multi-pillar “umbrella” organization which coordinates:</p>

<p>•leadership and professional development opportunities
•student research opportunities
•study, service, and research abroad opportunities
•student/faculty interactions
•social and student life and cultural interaction activities, such as football block seating, pre-game tailgating events, intramural teams, thematic guest speaker series, etc.
•community service and civic engagement opportunities</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the info! :)</p>