Fully vaccinated - How or Will Your COVID Routine Change?

Now that I am fully vaccinated (as of March 17) the main thing I do differently is go to more than one place in a day. For example, today I got an oil change for my car, voted, went to work and went to the supermarket on my way home. In the past, I would only have done one of those things.

3 Likes

Yes, I am doing more in a day as well. The other day, went to the bank, library, pharmacy and grocery store all on the same stop. Without the vaccine I was trying to limit grocery to one visit every one week or so. All the staff there and at pharmacy are vaccinated. Bank personnel is also vaccinated. Some of library staff is vaccinated as well.

Coffee at neighbors today was fun and lovely—wouldn’t have done it pre-vaccine, even though we were outdoors in patio.

2 Likes

My mother’s hospice aide tested positive last Friday. The aide had refused vaccination. My mother tested positive yesterday.

My mother tested positive for COVID on 12/31 and was in bed for a few weeks. She had Pfizer vaccinations on 2/15 and 3/8.

I think the positive is most likely from the previous COVID. It is 5 days outside the 3 month window I have seen online. However, after rescheduling my own vaccine 4 times so far, I may have to reschedule tomorrow’s appointment because I cannot honestly say I wasn’t exposed- right?

I met her outdoors on Easter but made an exception and went into her apartment for 20 minutes, double masked (I may have opened the mask so she could her me though). She is incapable of wearing a mask due to dementia and is hard of hearing.

I have contacted her doctor, and my doctor, for opinions on her test. But noone can say for sure.

1 Like

I’ve said this many times: think back to last March, when we were seeing horrific scenes from Italy. Body bags, refrigerated trucks for overflow of dead bodies, etc.

If someone had said to us back then “I have a vaccine that can turn this illness into a mild or even moderately bad cold.” Most of us would have said “OH THANK GOD.”

The vaccine is doing its job if a very few vaccinated individuals nevertheless get a very mild course of Covid.

It almost seems miraculous to me that barely a year later, we have a vaccine that prevents serious illness and death for the vast majority of the population that takes it.

Hope your friend recovers soon.

15 Likes

From a news story: <<<More than 1.8 million Minnesotans have received at least one vaccine dose. As of April 2, the Minnesota Department of Health has identified 222 vaccine “breakthrough” cases.">>>

The vaccination does GREATLY reduce your chances of getting the virus. At the current rate of infection in Minnesota (9,356 per 100,000), you would expect there to be 168,408 cases among 1.8 million people. 222 versus 168,408. Your chances of getting the virus in Minnesota without being vaccinated are over 750 times higher than if you’re vaccinated. I guess I’ll be getting the vaccine.

8 Likes

How do you know all the staff in all those community/retail spots are vaccinated?

That is the hope but illness doesn’t always follow the rules. A family at our grade school had 3 kids vaccinated for chickenpox. They went on vacation with their vaccinated cousins. All 6 kids contracted very serious cases with pox all over their bodies including in their noses and eyes.

Mumps went through the Syracuse men’s and women’s lax teams two years ago. Something like 15 students came down with it and they had to cancel their (fall) seasons. What are the chances that 15 kids weren’t vaccinated with MMR before college?

There were definitely issues with the chickenpox vaccine. My daughter got the “first” one, which was replaced maybe a year later with a newer one (more effective).

Yes, diseases don’t follow rules. Your best hope is for the disease to really be eradicated (like smallpox and polio), so that there is no exposure for anybody.

I know several women my age who were vaccinated for Rubella as a kid and when they decided to get pregnant and their OB/GYN tested, they didn’t have any Rubella immunity (again they said certain years those vaccines were not effective).

2 Likes

Sorry to hear, compmom! So frustrating. Best wishes for your mom & you!

Mumps immunity apparently fades faster than that of some other diseases vaccinated against.

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/10/433/eaao5945

I talk with the cashiers and they’ve told me that they have been fully vaccinated. Of course, there may be a holdout or several, but those I’ve spoken with are all thrilled to be fully vaccinated. Same with the pharmacy and bank. Our state opened up to all essential workers and allowed those to get vaccinated as a group.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the opportunity to be vaccines is totally different than who actually is.

While I hope essential workers take advantage of being vaccinated I consider that personal info and I would not ask.

1 Like

DW and I are scheduled for our vaccinations on April 26. Probably Pfizer. Excited to take the first step toward full vaccination!

2 Likes

Oh @compmom how frustrating. I hope your mom does not get sick!

deleted for privacy reasons

1 Like

@silpart, sorry one of your kids and the spouse are refusing to get vaccinated and you have an immunocompromised child. Can that other child get vaccinated, for his own protection? These issues are challenging.

I generally believe most people I meet and speak with are being honest about the vaccination/non-vaccination status. Of course, YMMV. Generally, when I disclose I am fully vaccinated, they will often disclose the same or indicate they are partially vaccinated or have an appointment to get vaccinated. Our state is reportedly >90% wanting to be vaccinated. I personally have not met anyone who is not vaccinated or wanting to be vaccinated ASAP, other than one dental hygienist who wanted to wait and discuss it with the dentist (who is strongly pro-vaccine).

2 Likes

My sister’s entire family (5 adults) all had COVID, probably picked it up in restaurants or at church, which they’ve been going to w/o much masking or distancing. None of them are going to get the vaccine because they feel like they’re “all set”. I told my 90 yr old mother they still need the vaccine. She asked her doctor if they should be vaccinated–received a resounding ‘yes’. So now Mom is going to hound them until they get vaccinated. GO GET 'EM MOM!!!

18 Likes

Unfortunately know quite a few “antivaxers”. Very strange as they are in clusters. Very little independent thinking going on. My wife (fully vaccinated) teaches in a small private school and only a few of the staff claim they will get the vaccine. Hate to lay a political spin but they ALL voted a certain way and believe it’s no big deal. However, these same people have been quite active during covid including attending rallies without masks, frequent restaurants and gatherings and haven’t become ill. Not an insignificant number when you include the total exposure between staff, students, outings, etc. Strengthens their belief in it not being a big deal.

Hard to fathom but reality.

1 Like

When you play lottery, you may get lucky, or you may not. The odds of winning a COVID-19 lottery prize are not that high each time you play, but winning one of the bigger prizes can be life-changing.

4 Likes