Fully vaccinated - How or Will Your COVID Routine Change?

Now the infection rate is going up, I am going to mask up again whenever I am out. I was going without mask while in the office, but now I am going to wear a mask whenever I am in the same room with people. It’s nice I have an office and not out in an open space.

1 Like

I never wear a mask outdoors jf I’m not in close contact with other people even at the height of the pandemic, but I’ve never taken off my mask indoors when I’m uncertain that everyone around has been vaccinated.

3 Likes

I like that camp protocol! Around here (one of the lower vaxxed areas in my state, and my area includes 2 places with very low vax rates), the parent grapevine shares where local camps, dentists (!), etc. don’t require masks. Our governor announces the state vaccination rate, but it isn’t emphasized enough in my area that we don’t have that rate.

There are plenty of antimaskers/antivaxxers in my area, and that is why my routine really hasn’t changed since I’ve been fully vaxxed.

Since the CDC isn’t tracking breakthrough cases unless there is hospitalization or death, they will be missing a lot of breakthrough cases. What is very concerning to me is that there is no information as to whether breakthrough cases have the same incidence of long covid.

Unfortunately, that’s not possible. MIL lives far away, and she really wants to see the baby. SIL is bringing her. I already got out of having D stay overnight where they are staying (family cottage), and I made arrangements for meeting outside, halfway. I told H last night that he has to take care of it in advance. H can pick up his mom & bring her if SIL’s nose gets out of joint. My hope is that she will be understanding, but I think talking to her in advance is key.

4 Likes

We’re currently at doctor son’s place enjoying time with him, his GF, and the grandkitties. We’re all vaccinated, but he and his GF both work with Covid patients at times - fully suited up, of course.

At this point I can say we’re definitely ready to trust the vaccines, except that we won’t go to FIL’s within a short time afterward, just to be sure. He’s fully vaccinated too, but he’s 93…

What’s incredibly annoying to us is BIL and wife, plus friends of his choosing, go to FIL’s quite a bit. They were originally open to getting vaxed, but since have bought into the anti-vax crowd’s lies so won’t and think we’re foolish to have done so. There’s nothing at all H can do about it. They’re convinced they are right, and FIL just shrugs his shoulders and says nothing.

Que sera, sera I guess.

100% this. Which is why those of us with natural immunity, who’ve tested positive for antibodies, are frustrated that we’re being completely ignored.

1 Like

My mother is ‘only’ 86 but she doesn’t want to waste one day. She had her vaccinations in Jan/Feb, she sorta wears masks when required (always falls below her nose), but she doesn’t want to restrict any guests or decline any invitations or opportunities.

She doesn’t care if others are vaccinated, she wants to see them, eat with them, talk with them.

Here is the wild thing. My D had Covid in late Nov, and finished her vaccines by April 1st. So natural immunity and vaccine. She worked at a camp last week and got tested all week up until Thursday, left Sat morning, yet by yesterday (sunday) she was sick with fever, headache, etc . She hope it was some other camp virus, and is going to get tested today…
If she ends up with Covid again , and not just asymptomatic, what does that say about Delta–with someone who had Covid and was vaccinated. This also then tells my Covid vaccine resistant S, that even if he gets vaccinated, he can still get Covid and get sick. I was getting closer to convincing him to get vaccinated but now.

1. vaccinated are getting Covid
  2. If the vaccinated can spread Covid, how does that differ than the unvaccinated spreading it? Are we back to testing and Quarantining before we visit Grandma.
  3. He will say, why not wait until they make the vaccine better before he gets it, since its not working anyway.

The issue of protecting others just got more complicated. Does he have a chance of getting a worse case of covid unvaccinated at 20 yo than if he gets vaccinated, versus getting a side affect of the vaccines (He knows someone who got the GB syndrome from the vaccines).? Its getting harder to convince him to get vaccinated right now, versus waiting. Blah Blah Blah I know , more variants if we dont stop the spread, but if Delta is breaking through isnt that the same? . Remember I am trying to convince a 20 Yo with ASD. i have pretty much grounded him , and given him carrots and sticks, and gotten nowhere right now.

Even though some vaccinated people are getting COVID-19, the risk of getting (or spreading) COVID-19 is substantially lower for vaccinated people than for unvaccinated people. Also, vaccine protection against the most severe COVID-19 cases (hospitalization or death) appears to be even better than for symptomatic COVID-19 generally.

If he wants to wait for a 100% effective vaccine, he will be waiting forever. Even prior natural infection is not 100% protective (some studies suggest that natural infection produces antibodies like getting one dose of a two dose vaccine – which may give good but not 100% protection against the same variant, but much worse protection against other variants).

2 Likes

FIL wishes the others would get vaccinated, but knows he can’t change their minds. He’s openly said so. He doesn’t stop them from coming because his only alternative is to stay at his house and not see them at all (they are using his cottage by a river whether he wants them to or not - they never ask - they just come, including inviting their guests some of whom he doesn’t even know).

H and I think part of why they won’t change their minds is they stand to inherit quite a bit when he passes and they’re financially not the best right now. We suspect they’re hoping he will get it and are doing the best they can to let it happen. Afterward they can say, “we’re so sad, but he had a good life, yada, yada, yada.”

How about you mildly increase your socializing (ie meet for outdoor dinners with vaccinated friends who you don’t think are going to giant indoor concerts, etc), and wear N95 masks around the grandchildren? With them masked, too? Seems like that would be a very safe compromise? Perhaps throw in a rapid test before visit for some additional risk reduction?

1 Like

I’m concerned because my sis watches her 5 grandkids, all of whom are too young to be vaxed. Three of the grandkids are at summer school and/or day care and then she picks them up and watches for some hours. She also watches our 91year old mom once/week.

We are supposed to have extended family gathering with 60+ relatives at buffet in late Oct. I’m not even sure it will be allowed if case counts keep rising as they have been and at this point would NOT attend as I’m avoiding indoor restaurant dining as added unnecessary risk.

My preference is only outside dining at restaurants. Too many unvaxed people around. I also watch my 91 year old mom at least once/wk and H and I are high risk, tho all of us are fully vaxed—as of Feb.

2 Likes