General airline travel thread

If you’re traveling for only a few days that works I’m sure. Two weeks in Europe, I couldn’t do that without a suitcase.

I booked a recent trip using miles on United. Low miles, made me happy. 2 stops on the way out, 1 on the way back. 1 stop is almost always a given - so wasn’t bothered by that.

For the flight out, I get to the airport and check one bag. This was Aer Lingus. They couldn’t check the bag all the way to the final destination, since the last leg wasn’t theirs! No amount of arguing with them helped - I didn’t even get a boarding pass for the last leg. So, overnight flight to Shannon, Ireland - went through immigration, grabbed a quick breakfast and then hopped onto the flight to London. Got to London, had to retrieve my bag and go through checkin/security again for the last leg. But made it with lots of time to spare. And my connections were not long - only about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. So, it is possible for things to work smoothly.

3 Likes

S, DIL and 15 month old GS had a heck of a time getting from DC to Greece this past weekend. Original flight to London was cancelled 90 minutes before take off. Several hours later they got on another flight to London, but to Gatwick, not Heathrow, the original destination. By then, they’d missed their next flight to Athens. They found another flight from Gatwick. They all boarded and then spent 2 hours on the tarmac. They finally got to their hotel 26 hours after they’d left home. Oh, and GS was a lap passenger. Apparently, he did really well and everyone was still speaking to each other by the time they arrived. I hope their return trip in 10 days goes much smoother.

3 Likes

Our flights this year Mar/Apr, HNL to Narita and then osaka to narita to hnl were fairly on time. All luggage arrived intact (ANA). Also our flights May hnl to den to nyc and nyc/lga to hnl went without any hitches as well (UAL).

Not 25, on a 2 week trip, and had no trouble taking the train with my suitcase to the airport. Avoided the uncertainty of rush hour traffic.

4 Likes

I prefer direct flights and living near a very busy airport it’s usually possible. But when there’s a layover, I don’t understand how airlines decide on connecting flights. I feel like a 1 hour stop at CDG is too little as you have to change terminals and go through passport control. Anyway I made it in time but my checked bag didn’t.

1 Like

Oof on the closure but we see people with luggage on the train all the time in Chicagoland.

1 Like

I NEVER said people don’t schlep luggage on public transit, what I meant was that I couldn’t do it.

2 Likes

You’re actually making my point! You did use a suitcase for a 2 week trip, as opposed to a single backpack. I wasn’t questioning your ability to schlep a suitcase on a train, just that I would rather not.

VRBO helps us avoid checked luggage because you can have laundry!

2 Likes

So-called “extended stay” hotels all have laundry facilities. They’re becoming more popular as nearly all major hotel brands are expanding their offerings in that segment of the market.

2 Likes

I have done two week trips with carry on only. It is easier to do in warm weather (no bulkier winter clothing).

3 Likes

I am not arguing carry-on vs checked bag, I am discussing suitcase (of ANY size) vs just a backpack!

I am sure someone will chime in that they spent two months overseas with just a small backpack—good for them, but that’s not the subject of my comments—I am simply saying that I (not anyone else, just me) could not go 2 weeks with just a backpack, as some have advocated for.

4 Likes

You can get backpacks that are the size of carry on limits. The lack of wheel hardware means that they weigh less and have more interior volume than rolling suitcases that fit in the same overhead bins. Plus, no hassles with cobblestones or uneven surfaces.

1 Like

But the question is whether what fits into a suitcase could be carried easier (through airports, train stations, across local roads, on uneven sidewalks, up/down steps/curbs, to the AirBnB or hostel) on your BACK rather than pulling your arms out of your socket.

We’re not talking about a small “Day Pack”, or a backpack designed for outdoor adventures (e.g., designed to hold tent poles and sleeping bags) that you need to be able to carry for 20 miles a day.

Instead there are special “urban backpacking” designs, some open up like suit cases, have compartments to keep things neatly organized, or designed to hang on a cloth rack – so you wouldn’t have to unpack at every stop. Your hip belt will have zipped pockets on each side, for cell phone etc., a special secured compartment is for important documents, etc.

Some even come with a detachable day pack, when sightseeing in town, enough to fit a bathing suit and towel and water bottle.

While it is intimidating the first time you try to get it on your back, chances are you get used to it very quickly and then would love the increased mobility.

1 Like

That is precisely the point I am trying to make----you and @ucbalumnus are describing something totally different than what I am talking about.

What you and @ucbalumnus are describing is a suitcase that has been designed to have backstraps instead of wheels and a rigid collapsible handle. That is a piece of LUGGAGE designed to function as a backpack. You would not use it for anything else but travel.

I am talking about a BACKPACK , the kind of thing a college kid uses to haul around a laptop, books, and workout gear, that you would use to lug your stuff to the beach, to take a hike, to take your lunch and other odds and ends to work, etc.

Since we are talking about two completely different animals, I see no reason to discuss this any longer.

6 Likes

Following up on comments about animals on flights, this just popped up in my feed: Delta affirms it’s policy on fake service animals on flights. Delta Clarifies Position on ‘Fake Service Animals’ onboard Flights

2 Likes

Go to the north side and go down Rte 1 from Revere.

Easier said than done. Rt. 1 will be overloaded with cars, as will the Ted Williams Tunnel from the west/south. There is no good solution. If you live on the south shore that is a LONG way around.

We plan to use the water shuttle. Parking is so much cheaper, and the ride in is great.