General airline travel thread

Have a couple of questions. I’ve talked about this trip before.

My kid is having a destination wedding. I purchased refundable tickets shortly after the flights were released. Thinking if they go down, I would rebook.

Prices have only gone up.

Unfortunately, there is a short layover to get to our destination.

Here’s the complication. American has added a second flight to our destination from our connection city that would give us a little better layover time. But all of the flights are substantially more expensive.

I can call American and see if they could switch us to the later flight for what we paid. Would that be feasible at all?

Or I can upgrade to first class for $200 a person. That way we would be first off and it would give us better options to get to our next gate.

Any advice? After this weekend of flying and the unbelievably rude behavior of fellow flyers, I’m afraid that this tight connection would be doomed if in economy :joy:

1 Like

I would upgrade. As you noted you would be first off the plane.

1 Like

I’d call American and ask about a change.

How long is that flight that would be first class? If it’s the long leg of your flight, maybe consider first class. But that upgrade isn’t going to help you at all if your first flight is delayed.

1 Like

How short is short, and is it international?

When we had our tight connections on our last trip (45 min!), I didn’t book first class, but I chose seats as close to the front as I could. Sometimes premium economy is right behind first class, but MUCH cheaper. I’ve done that before. First class is out of our price range…

But agree - it doesn’t hurt to call and ask first!

1 Like

In general, an airline would charge you the new rate (higher rate) if you should make a change, and plus any change fee. I have sweet talked them into waiving it sometimes, but they are usually pretty strict.
If you are looking for comfort then upgrade, but if you are just worried about the connection then I would just stick with what you have. maybe get seats closer to the front as mentioned by others.

1 Like

Connection is 50 minutes.

Thanks for all of the tips! Appreciate it

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.