Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

The one thing I don’t know is whether you need to indicate that you are open to it to get it. I believe that you do. In that case, it should increase your chances of admission because not everybody will opt into that as a possibility. My senior checked he was open to that and fall semester abroad and still got admitted for fall, so it doesn’t mean that you won’t get the fall admit. It just may be if they are between deferral/waitlist and admission they may be able to find a place for you in one of those programs.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, on CommonApp, it was said that regardless of what students pick for their preferred term, there wouldn’t be a guarantee that they would receive it if offered admission, which is what made me think that summer and study abroad come into play later on in the admissions cycle. I still do hope that these options do increase admissions odds, seeing as the OOS acceptance rate is so extremely low.

My S just received ED acceptance into the summer start program. Checked fall and summer boxes. Great Academics and Tennis Captain and his two siblings recently graduated Tech in 2021 and 2022.

2 Likes

So that answers the question - some kids were offered summer. Congrats to your son!

1 Like

Other thing to consider is if you are accepted for summer or fall abroad, you are in for those terms only. They will not switch you to fall in Atlanta . They added roughly 900 spots through those programs last year. Georgia Tech is a small school and with a large OOS population there are a ton of applicants for not very many spots.

1 Like

Do you apply for abroad program as part of the EA application ?

The First Year Semester Abroad program has a separate application that you fill out after you have been accepted as either an EA or RD admit. The only exception was a few kids that were offered spots directly into the program from the wait list since there were still open spots after the program application deadline.

3 Likes

I think there was a check box for whether you would consider summer or first year semester abroad along with fall a couple of years ago if you got deferred. I can’t remember whether it was on the initial application. I wonder if my kid can still access his common app and see?

I believe a couple of years ago there were people that were accepted directly into the first year summer abroad program as their acceptance. There were some additional spots that were filled off the wait list.

1 Like

Yes, there was last year.
And then after waitlisting.

2 Likes

So my son poked around his portal yesterday. If you click on summer options, there was an option to opt out of Ignite which is summer start or opt out of first year summer abroad. So he obviously opted into those upon submitting his application. He was admitted to Fall. Not sure if those options are there for people waiting on admission decision.

As an aside, any firm date on dorms sign up yet?

Dorm sign up at GT does not happen until the summer. By committing early and paying housing deposit/signing contract, your son will have a low number for dorm selection. In the meantime, he can look for roommates on the social media sites.

1 Like

Yes I mean the dorm commitment sign up. Last year it was in January. When my oldest got in early it was a couple of days after early acceptance but I understand things have changed.

There doesn’t seem to be an EA thread for OOS applicants for GA Tech… anyone on here anxiously waiting for OOS decisions? S23 toured and loved it! Loved everything about the campus from the traditions to the diversity to the creative overlap between the departments - he’s interested in Computer Science - all aspects but mostly the human interaction (games and apps). He’s a competitive swimmer but not quite fast enough to be recruited D1 but very interested in Tech’s Club Swim Team. We have family who attended as recruited athletes (volleyball and football - alum for about 10 years now) and they still live just down the street (20min) from campus still. We are all on pins and needles - they want him there as much as he wants to be there! Anyway… who else is waiting for OOS decisions?!?

3 Likes

Waiting

2 Likes

We are waiting too! They haven’t given a decision date yet have they?

2 Likes

Yes, OOS and waiting for EA. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I haven’t heard anything. We are debating showing interest by sending in the mid-term transcript (it was strong with APs in Calc, Computer Science, Lit and Government). Anyone heard of doing that?

Doesn’t the high school do it automatically? Ours does.

Not sure about OP, but our school uses Naviance for sending documents which requires you to select where you would like to mid-year or final transcripts sent. I would imagine other services similar to Naviance offer similar functionality. IMO, this is the wat to go because it would be wasted time/money for transcripts to be sent to schools that students are no longer considering.

1 Like

Waiting

1 Like