Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Does anyone have information on the Summer Session? Does that boost odds in any way? I heard that several years ago, students could ask to be pushed to the summer session if they were waitlisted or rejected… doesn’t sound at all like something they would do now but just curious about what Summer Session entails in the first place.

To be accurate: waitlisted students could request to be considered for a summer start. Rejected students are out of the running and can make no requests of any kind.

Information about summer programs is here:
https://admission.gatech.edu/first-year/summer

You could check summer start, first year semester abroad, or both when you originally filed your application. My son did this because Tech was his first choice. He ended up getting in early for Fall. If you are deferred, they ask you the same questions if you’re willing to be considered for these options. You can opt in to consideration for summer start or the first year abroad then. Not sure if they offer it again if you are waitlisted.

Checking any of these options is supposed to improve your chances, but I don’t think it makes a significant difference because of the number of applications. However last year (or 2 years ago not sure which) 800 1st year students started in the summer, and 100 started in the first year summer abroad program so that is a large percentage of the class. If Georgia Tech is your first choice it’s probably a good idea to do this just in case. If you are admitted for summer, you have to start in summer. You cannot request fall start. So be sure that it is something that you are willing and able to do. If you can’t, they won’t move you. Similarly, if you are accepted into the first your summer abroad program you cannot ask to start in Atlanta, as that option is not available.

If you are rejected, that’s the end of the road.

1 Like

When my (OOS) D applied, she was not offered summer start options after deferral - only after being waitlisted.

1 Like

Interesting. Two years ago my son was offered it after deferral. I think it’s now a well-known “secret” that if you want to maximize your admission chances you check the summer box. Maybe they had so many applicants who had done so they didn’t need to add to it after early action deferral.

1 Like

Yes, he was able to log in to Oscar. He is applying to CompSci major as well.

My son got his Clemson and Georgia Tech acceptance packages in the mail today. He is thrilled with his GT acceptance but it looks like something that could have come from our accountant😂

Does anyone know if Georgia Tech uses the same formula as UGA for recalculating GPA? This may already have been covered, but I know that UGA only gives the extra point for AP scores and nothing for Pre-AP/Honors classes, so … I’m wondering. Thanks.

Per this page Academic Preparation | Undergraduate Admission

In summary: GPA Evaluation Criteria

The GPA we consider is the one taken directly from your high school transcript. We will use a 100-point GPA, if available, and weighted, if available. If not, we’re happy to consider a 4.0 GPA or similar and/or unweighted GPA.

If your high school does not provide a GPA or you have attended multiple high schools, we will recalculate a weighted 4.0 GPA (0.5 points added for AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, and AICE courses) using core courses only.

2 Likes

Did he apply Early Decision? The Early Action results don’t come out until 30 January.

No early action. Georgia residents found out on December 9. Georgia Tech doesn’t have early decision.

1 Like

Aaahhh…thanks for the clarification!

We sent official scores for both AP and SAT. But only AP scores are there. Did you send the official SAT?

We did not send any official scores

Is OSCAR and financial aid I for something accepted students can see now?

No. I hear it showed up late afternoon on decision day.

I did find it. It shows that the requested FAFSA, CCS etc have been submitted and when. Does not show a financial aid offer - says not yet or something. Assume she won’t get anything as we are In State and she will get Zell.

2 Likes

It appears for Zell. It won’t be there until the day decisions are released and they may patch it. It is a window into admission though, for at least the past two years. My middle kid didn’t get it and he was waitlisted. My current senior had it and he was admitted. Both in state.

1 Like

I’ve been looking into the summer and study abroad programs a bit more since I asked the question a few days ago and I get the impression that they don’t fill these programs directly during EA admissions but rather via RD and waitlist. Is this true or am I misunderstanding things?

I think they’re open at any time. I haven’t heard of anyone yet offered summer start or first year summer abroad this year but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. There are students that will opt into these programs. Perhaps they want to figure out who volunteers before filling empty slots. I think all are attempted to be filled by regular decision if any are left open, but they will fill by waitlist if necessary.

2 Likes