Georgia Tech Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

We are MD resident. DS got accepted at UMD Honors with Letters and Sciences (L&S) and GIT CS. ACT 34, UWGPA - 3.96. 11 APs. With UMD L&S having a clear path to go to CS, he will be able to go to UMD CS with Honors college. Finance is not an issue. So, we have a tough choice ahead.

Question - anyone in similar situation? If so, is there a way to connect and talk about the decision making rubric to use?

Thank you.

1 Like

Anybody have any experience with the summer start? Is it worth applying to if I was deferred? (Thereā€™s an option in the deferral form that asks whether you are interested in the summer start). Are ignite decisions reserved for RD, or did EA1/2 people also get ignite offer?

Any information about GA Tech dorm for a first year OOS student? How is it allocated? Is it based on a specific criteria or student choices play part?

Thanks

1 Like

Not in a similar situation but have some knowledge. I am from MD, graduated from GaTech (not CS - many years ago with 2 degrees). I have 3 family members with CS degrees from Tech (BS, MS and Phd) and a ton of friends with kids who studied CS at UMD. You are welcome to PM me.
I also have DD at GaTech now (not CS).

So UMD did not take your child for CS, only like undecided? CS is limited enrollment at UMD. Your child can get to CS later in UMD or start with one major and add another one. However, if money is not an issue, I would go to GT in a heartbeatā€¦ But I am biased :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dorms priority is based on when student signed their contract for dorm. The best approach for your student is to find on Discord new friends and decide to room with them. EA GA resident can get best room for all roommates :slight_smile:

1 Like

no DS is a RD applicant. just hadnt seen any results or stats for this program yesterday (didnt see all obs)

Dorms are allocated based on when you sign up for housing. Housing opened on the 18th so some in state kids who know they are headed to Tech have already signed up. Info should be in your portal. You do have to pay the commitment deposit before you can sign up for housing.

You wonā€™t actually pick a dorm for months. This just gets you in line.

2 Likes

She wants medium size, warm, football culture, Greek life, and excellent academics. She liked the culture of innovation, and location in the center of the city. Maybe too bad she doesnā€™t have an interest in engineering. Likely pre med but she likes psychology/anthropology/public health more than pure biology. No interest in our in state options, so it is going to be private or oos tuition regardless.

Thanks for confirming, she did research the program but somehow did not figure out its size. I think she just assumed it was big since it is a popular major at most schools.

1 Like

Congratulations on the acceptances - maybe Iā€™m mistaken, but isnā€™t Purdue in the middle of nowhere too?

2 Likes

Good pointšŸ˜‚. We have lots of family in Indiana, my parents are from Indiana, and we have family at Purdue. Plus itā€™s just an hour from Indy so for some reason it doesnā€™t feel as remote to me. Itā€™s kind of a moot point as heā€™s committed to Georgia Tech but I do feel like Purdue and Georgia Tech have lots of culture similarities based on what we know about it.

1 Like

did anyone also get an offer for Conditional Transfer Pathway?

1 Like

@VirginiaBelle : Hiā€¦ question on # of admitsā€¦ Usually for every Fall, what is the # of admitsā€¦ Is it around 3600 or 8500ā€¦ Somewhere I saw 3575 got admitted last fall and in another place, i saw 17% of 50000 got admitted which equates to aroudn 8500ā€¦ Could you pls provide your insight ? is there any place I could see the stats ? I couldnt access the LITE website you shared earlier. Thanks

The freshman class size is roughly 3575. It has increased by several hundred students since 2019 when my oldest enrolled.

Thereā€™s a big difference between the admit rate and the enrolled number. So that 8500 or so is the number of people they needed to admit to get to a class size of 3575.

This refers to what the admissions people called ā€œyieldā€œ. The yield is the percentage of people who accept the offer, and for Georgia Tech it varies pretty dramatically between in-state and out-of-state accepted students. The in-state yield is much higher than out of state, but in-state students get free tuition which is very persuasive!

1 Like

Thank you. so, their yield is around mid 40% then ? For the college like GT, which is very reputed, it is surprising to have such a low yield though ?

My son got an Arts and Science (Biology major) pathway.

It seems like it could be really good for the right person and right situation. For example if a kid could start at say Georgia State, or Georgia Southern and then transfer to Ga. Tech then that would be a really interesting option, but for us I think he is going to try to aim for his definite at U of SC, Wofford or perhaps see how deferral at NC State goes. We are already out of state, so transferring in from out of state without merit or aid certainty makes this very unlikely for us and considering he can study Biology well at all of those schools still in the running, too.

I think it is higher for that in-state (almost 70 percent) but much lower for out of state and international. Lots of reasons for this, but one prominent one is that Georgia Tech does not meet full need and gives almost no merit. I believe there is zero aid for international students. And out of state and international students are 40% of that 3575. So it becomes not only a fit question but also a finance question.

In-state students receive free tuition due to the lottery. Almost all qualify upon entry. They have to maintain a 3.3 GPA to keep it. . Georgia Techā€™s largest competitor for enrollment of admitted students is the University of Georgia. Very difficult to turn down these excellent, competitive schools if you are admitted and in-state.

4 Likes

When will they announce financial aid?

40% yield is pretty high for a public college. Private colleges have high yield because they have ED. Normally half of a private collegeā€™s freshmen enrollment comes from ED, which has nearly 100% yield. For private college RD admissions, typical yield is in the ball park from 20% to 50%. Considering public colleges do not practice yield protection, yield rate has nothing to do with a public collegeā€™s prestige (or lack of).

makes senseā€¦ But some public colleges like UVA are introducing ED of late, to increase the yieldā€¦ But i get your point on how ED improves the yield.

1 Like