German fencer moving to USA looking for a fencing school

Hello everyone, I will be happy for any information that I can get!
My son is 16 and he is German-American. He was raised in Germany and is currently in the 11th year. He is a very competitive Epee Fencer here in Germany and we are looking for a High School for him to attend in September 2022. Normally in Germany he would get his Abitur next year but for his Fencing it would be better for him to go to High School so that his chances would be better to get into an American University. His goal is to get into a DIV I school but due to the fact that he is travelling almost every weekend, his grades are not as competitive as his American counterparts. Also one of the reasons for him wanting to redo is 11th year in the US.
Can anyone please steer me in the right direction how to begin this process.
My sister lives in NYC and he will be living with her until we figure out where to send him.
Are there any full scholarships for High School(Boarding Schools) Fencers ?

Thanks for your help

Calling @SevenDad !

Your best bet is to develop a plan that will allow him to train with a top coach and compete at an elite level. That is more likely to a day school than a bs. Or it might be something like Professional Children’s School.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! From what I hear training outside of a Varsity situation is extremely expensive in the US and that is just not an option for us.

You may get better answers if you ask in the boarding school forum.

What is the budget for US boarding school?

1 Like

Moved to prep school parents and paging @SevenDad

@SevenDad is definitely the subject matter expert. Until they get here…

Hello and welcome. First let me begin with the difficult news: most (though not all) of the competitive schools are already well into their admissions cycle for Fall 2022, and in fact many of the application deadlines have already passed e.g. many were Feb 1. Also note that the applications require many things which take time…teacher recommendations, writing essays, and in some cases specific tests like the SSAT (though many schools are currently test-optional).

I would also note that the financial aid requirement makes things that much more challenging as an international applicant (though, my sense is that applicants from Germany aren’t all that common so that may help somewhat).

THAT SAID, a few things:

1. There are schools with rolling admissions…you can find them on Niche using that as a search criteria. You can also use the site to search for schools with fencing programs.

2. Given that your son is a competitive fencer, it’s possible that a school with a competitive fencing program would be willing to review his application after the deadline, particularly if you can engage the school fencing coach(es) to review his fencing skills/achievements and advocate for him.

3. The Hackley School is one often cited as great for competitive fencers because they have a 5-day boarding option which allows students to go into NYC on weekends to train at/with the very competitive fencing programs (i.e. private programs not affiliated with academic schools). That might be a place to start, though I see your comment about private fencing programs not being viable.

I’m sure @SevenDad will have great insight into what’s possible. Good luck regardless!

1 Like

You might also look into boarding schools that offer a post-graduate (PG) year. This is basically grade 13. Many students use the extra year for athletic purposes. But financial aid will likely be an issue.

I can’t add much, but you should take a look at this fencing recruiting thread that has been going on for years. Would your S be a 2023 HS grad?

Also, do note that college fencing scholarships are limited…I would advise you to not go in thinking that fencing will pay for college in the US. Most fencing scholarships are partial, and are a percentage of tuition, say 25% or so. Will you qualify for need based aid at US colleges?

These are all very helpful! Thank you all so very much.
Since our situation is so unique it makes everything very challenging. My son is German but he is also an American Citizen and most schools that I have spoken with really did not know how to handle his admission and wanted to get back to me. Almost all High Schools in NY said that he would have to repeat the 11th and that is fine but… What would happen to his fencing career. We will travel to the US after the European Championship and the World cup to look at some public schools.
I am familiar with the NCAA recruiting process as we have spoken to several coaches however my son would have to take the GED and I don’t really think that it would be a good thing for him enter College at 17. If he were to stay in Germany, he will complete his education in 2023.
You are all really awsome. Thanks

3 Likes

I was paged, so here I am.

As people have noted, the usual window for the boarding school application process has passed. But, as I have stated elsewhere, I don’t think boarding school is necessarily the best route for a high-level fencer with D1 aspirations. For several reasons…one of which is that boarding schools, generally speaking, are fairly restrictive about letting kids off campus — especially for the frequency and duration that competitive fencers require. Just look at the roster of any of the better D1 schools and you’ll see that few are boarding school graduates.

Additionally, to your point about costs….most financial aid for boarding schools is in the form of need-based aid, not merit or athletic “scholarships”. And AFAIK, FA for internationals is rather limited. There are certainly no FULL scholarships based on fencing (or any sport) — that I am aware of. At least not that a school would actually admit (they’d say it was need or merit or geographically based or something else).

One more thought…you cite a heavy travel schedule as being detrimental to his grades. Frankly, I don’t think your son’s travel/competition schedule is that unique…and yet lots of US-based fencers seem to be able to keep their grades up sufficiently to be admittable to Ivies and other very selective schools. At her peak, in season, my kid probably had competitions 3 out of 4 weekends a month…with at least one being a NAC (national competition) in another state (requiring flight OR 6-8 hour drive one-way) PLUS 1 or 2 international events a season. If he’s struggling now, what makes you think he won’t struggle with college-level courses? And an athlete who struggles academically is not an asset to a coach/program.

FWIW, I see more recruits from international schools than I see from U.S. boarding schools. I don’t see why that approach isn’t appealing to you (meaning, just keep him in Germany). Look at rosters to see what colleges might be more open to an international recruit.

If you are committed to a US high school, I think going to a NYC-area day school (or even a public school?) could work. Many of the top men’s epee fencers are based in NYC (affiliated with Fencers Club, Peter Westbrook Foundation, or the NYAC), plus of course the various colleges in/around NYC.

In addition to Hackley, which someone already mentioned, I would suggest looking into The Masters School…which has a dedicated fencing salle at the school and whose long-time coach (now retired) was Francisco Martin, once the captain (administrative/leadership role) of the US team. Masters also has a boarding program, and in our experience with the school was very flexible about not only my daughter going to NYC to train (there is a Dobbs Ferry train directly to/from NYC) a few times a week but also her travel schedule in season.

One last thing. You state, “From what I hear training outside of a Varsity situation is extremely expensive in the US and that is just not an option for us.” In the US, high-level fencing is ALL club based. It CAN be expensive (coaching fees on top of club/group class fees — not to mention all the travel for competitions). There are high school varsity teams (at private as well as public schools), but none, IMO are that strong nor is the training all that rigorous. EVERY top US fencer trains at a club. To give you some indication, my daughter, who while a very good, nationally ranked fencer was still not in top 5 of her recruiting year…yet as a skinny freshman in HS went nearly undefeated and won both the scholastic league’s individual season title as well as the one-day individual title and anchored her epee squad to an undefeated season and championship title. My point here is that “Varsity” HS fencing is not that strong…even at an elite school like Lawrenceville.

4 Likes

Well thank you very much, that was extremely insightful and good to know! Now I understand why everyone paged you. Again Thank you.
To address to point about his grades…he is not a C,D,or F student, his grades are just not Ivy worthy and since this is a new option that we are exploring, we quickly noticed that American Fencers generally have a higher academic level as our fencers; meaning that education and a competitive level of sports go hand in hand there whereas here in Germany it is either one or the other. My son is a solid B student and he not only fences but he also plays Golf, Drums and the Piano. Our focus was just different. The timing is very important for us because we see that during this entire COVID-19 off-season, half-season his fire for fencing is dying a little and that would be such a shame. Training went from 5 days week to 1 and he has been fencing for 10 years and it is hard for us as parents to watch his frustration. We have remodeled our basement to look like a gym with Planche and all but it is not the same. Not being able to fence in Salt Lake City in the World cup crushed him and when Novi Sad started to become questionable we started looking for other options for him. We are just here looking for helpful information to guide us.

May I suggest that he consider D1 fencing schools where his grades would be less of a hurdle to admission? Schools like OSU, PSU, and St. Johns? Another good thing about these schools is that they DO have partial (and possibly full for the right recruit) fencing scholarships available. All of these schools send fencers to the NCAA Championships (indicating strength of fencers/program) and have also won the team championship before.

If he is interested in fencing in college, these could be good options.

6 Likes