Get All Your ED Questions Answered! Exclusive ASK ME ANYTHING w/ NYU on Thu, Oct 20 5-6pm ET

Hello from Hanoi, Vietnam! My name is Nhat (Thomas) Ngo, and I plan to apply to Early Decision in Stern’s Business & Political Economy program. My other questions are:

1. What kinds of students are NYU Stern admission officers looking for?
  2. What aspects of a student’s application would appeal to Stern’s admissions officers?

@Alexandra_Abramson, for all of our schools including Gallatin, we look for students who have demonstrated significant academic achievement, and who desire to be part of a large, globally-oriented university.

1 Like

@Dhruv_Malhotra, the most important aspect when it comes to internally transferring is first semester grades/GPA.

1 Like

To confirm, can you be released from the ED agreement even if FAFSA/CSS show $0 financial need?

Hello from Hanoi, Vietnam! My name is Nhat (Thomas) Ngo, and I plan to apply to Early Decision in Stern’s Business & Political Economy program. My last question is,

Does NYU incorporate a policy where if a student applies to all 3 NYU Campuses & the admission officers really like this student but run out of slots/have better candidates, the student will get pushed away from his priority campus to another campus?

Thank you for the response to the previous question I asked.

As a follow up you mentioned that NYU focuses on the first choice major and it is possible to be considered for the other 10 majors chosen in common app. Does this mean if one is denied for the first major of choice it is not likely to be reviewed for the other majors chosen? Especially since it is a Tisch portfolio, if I were to get denied, what would be the likelihood of being considered for the other programs I selected such as the liberal studies core?

Thank you once again!

@devpatel2, thanks for your question!

Individual school acceptance rates fluctuate from year-to-year, but our general university acceptance rate is 12%. Stern and CAS are typically considered our most selective colleges, but like I said, numbers fluctuate over the years depending on student interest. NYU does not track demonstrated interest- we think it’s interest enough just to complete our application! Enjoy your visit to campus, and let us know if you have any questions.

1 Like

@Adarsh_pillay, great question! This cycle, we are test optional meaning if one does not submit scores, this will not hurt them in any way. Good luck!

1 Like

@CharlieLA, thanks for being here! Nope, we admit students with similar profiles in ED1 and ED2. The biggest difference is the deadline itself.

1 Like

Can you provide some guidance for a student who doesn’t believe his own identity (white, middle-class, straight) would contribute much to diversity - but who is very much in favor of increasing racial, socio-economic, and other types of diversity in society - can tackle the supplemental essay?

@Nicole_A, hank you so much for your question! We look for your authentic self! Be yourself as we want to hear about YOU from YOU! So do not write in a way that you think we will like, write about what you desire in a way that showcases your individuality. Good luck!

1 Like

Do kids get deferred to RD?

@SaishreeDevineni, at NYU, which includes NYU Gallatin, we do not look for any type of person. At NYU, we pride ourselves in our diversity which means that we are looking for YOU! So be yourself and showcase your unique application in a way that only you can do! Good luck!

2 Likes

@Pre-college, yes, it is possible to be “deferred” to RD. Good luck!

1 Like

@clockila, thanks for being here!

That’s a great question. Increasing application numbers speak to larger trends in the higher education landscape, but for NYU this basically means we have more students applying with higher test scores than we did 5 and 10 years ago. We don’t consider financial need in our review process, but I wouldn’t say we’re 100% need-blind. We do have some need sensitivity for a very small percentage of our applicant pool.

1 Like

Another question I had was how much having a legacy contributes to the application. My father went to NYU for both undergraduate and graduate studies and has been working at NYU for over 10 years now.

Does NYU consider any first semester/term of senior year grades for Early Decision I? Is senior course rigor considered in Early Decision?

Hi @CC_Jon and Reddit, thanks for being here!
I’m an admissions counselor, so I can’t really speak to the question of “why” NYU has particular institutional priorities or makes particular choices about publishing our data set, but you’re welcome to reach out to university leadership about those bigger-picture questions. I’m happy to answer any questions about the ED application process!

1 Like

Thank you!

@kush22, thank you for your question! From my understanding, there is no dual degree program of this nature but we offer a minor in collaboration with titiled “The Business of Entertainment and Media”. Good luck!

1 Like