Gluten free?

<p>Hey guys, I’m going to Bama in the fall but there’s a slight problem, I’m gluten free. Does anyone know of any gluten free options on campus or even off campus?? Let me know!</p>

<p>Ask the folks at 'Bama Dining: [Bama</a> Dining Contacts - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/contacts.html]Bama”>http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/contacts.html)</p>

<p>I have an answer. I am celiac and during Panhellenic Preview weekend we ate at Lakeside Dining. The manager came by the table (we were on an Honors College tour) and I asked him about gluten-free (DD is not GF) and he said that they are offering lots of GF. In fact, he said he wants GF students to visit with him upon arrival on campus and he will arrange for their preferences to be served as best he can.</p>

<p>There is a Zoe’s under the stadium and they have many GF entrees. There is a Jason’s Deli close to campus and they have GF too.</p>

<p>I would suggest you contact food services as suggested above…I think you will be satisfied with their commitment to helping meet your needs.</p>

<p>Previous discussions</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1393178-gluten-free-dining.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1393178-gluten-free-dining.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1330489-1st-year-experience-meal-plan-5.html?highlight=gluten[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1330489-1st-year-experience-meal-plan-5.html?highlight=gluten&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>“Lakeside now has individual gluten free pizzas available upon request and Bryant always has a gluten-free option for lunch. Additionally, anyone can request food items without the added bread/carbs if they so desire.”</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1240113-honors-housing-dining-food-allergies.html?highlight=gluten[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1240113-honors-housing-dining-food-allergies.html?highlight=gluten&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>THANK YOU! Seriously, I also have celiac so it’s good to know that there are different options on campus. So, again, thank you!</p>

<p>Gluten free options are great at UA. My son will be attending in the fall and we meet with Ed Robertson, Residential Foodservice Director, on one of our visits. They have done a lot of research on Gluten, including hidden gluten (ie soy sauce, ketchup, etc) and they are very knowledgeable. I strongly suggest you set up a meeting with them when you go to Bama bound or when you arrive on campus. They will give you all the ins & outs and tell you how they will accommodate your diet. Here is his contact information:</p>

<p>Ed Robertson
Residential Foodservice Director
Bama Dining - University of Alabama
(205) 233-3929 cell
(205) 348-1752 office
(205) 348-0399 fax
<a href="mailto:robertson-james@aramark.com">robertson-james@aramark.com</a></p>

<p>Thanks twomutts!</p>

<p>I am just totally loving the fact that you were able to meet with the food service director to get your questions directly answered. Not surprised, though, being that it fits exactly with my perception of the student focused approach at Alabama.</p>

<p>Hi All!</p>

<p>I was hoping to revisit this thread in order to get some more specific information regarding GF dining at Bama. Our D must eat a gluten-free diet. We toured Penn State yesterday and were very, very impressed with how they handle students like my daughter. </p>

<p>Like Bama, they do post ingredients and food allergen info above the food in line. They also have a gluten-free pizza that students can order. </p>

<p>However, at PSU they have a fairly large list of foods that can be ordered (waffles, rolls, muffins, brownies, burgers, etc…) In addition, they have a weekly color-coded calendar with all food being served that week listed, letting students know which foods are GF, which contain gluten, and which might be cross-contaminated. We were suprised to find that in each cafeteria they have a GF section that has small refrigerators with foods that students can select from and then cook right then and there using toaster ovens and microwaves designated as being for use with GF foods only.</p>

<p>Like Bama, they also offered to have our daughter sit and talk with the director of food services once she arrives on campus…</p>

<p>Since being able to eat easily when away at school is a huge deal, I am just wondering if someone has anymore specific info regarding how Bama handles GF dining. I know they offer the GF pizza and list ingredinets and food allergens… Is there anything else?</p>

<p>I am celiac, and at BAMA BOUND the gal working the sandwhich counter in the fresh foods court went and got some GF bread for me, no problem. I did ask her to change her gloves and watched to be sure the condiments were not contaminated, but I try to do that everywhere I eat.</p>

<p>Thanks, TXArchitect! That is good to know. :)</p>

<p>My son will be starting in the fall, so we don’t know all of the ins & outs yet, but we have been to Fresh Food & Lakeside over the last few months on different visits. I do not remember seeing the menus and ingredient lists like you mention, but I did not look that closely for those items. All of the staff and especially the managers knew what was gluten free. They had bread, pizza, hamburger rolls, pasta, etc. Ed Roberston told me they will work with the students to help fix them GF versions of the meals they are serving that day.</p>

<p>Ed seemed very receptive to ideas and suggestions. I would recommend that you contact him (his contact info is a few posts above in this thread) and tell him what Penn State does, he may be willing to adopt some of those ideas if they do not already implement them. </p>

<p>Most of the University dining is run by outside companies and they is a chance that Penn State and UA will have the same vendor which would make those suggestions easier to implement.</p>

<p>I will know more in a couple of months once school starts…</p>

<p>When we toured TCU ( Texas Christian in Fort Worth) I was blown away by their GF stations. SMU also had a great GF station.</p>

<p>Personally, I prefer a separate GF Station as it limits the possibility of cross-contamination. </p>

<p>All it takes is a knife that has smeared mayo on wheat bread going back in to the jar, and The JAR IS CONTAMINATED. Enough to make me sick, contaminated.</p>

<p>Separate stations really cut down on this, and the handlers don’t have to change gloves, wipe cutting boards, etc., all the time. Grills and ovens can be impossible to clean. Colanders too.</p>

<p>I think you would make a great GF advisor to food services, TXA. You know exactly what is needed and could tell instantly if something had potential to harm.</p>

<p>Our DD is now a vegetarian (99% of the time - last week she ASKED for a burger! I almost had to check her ID) and I am concerned she will be relegated to the salad bar most of the time. I’m afraid DD’s favorite foods won’t be on the menu anywhere…</p>

<p>MereMom, I attempted to go veggie last year, and it was pretty easy, actually. There are vegetarian sections in Lakeside and Fresh Foods, for sure. I eat meat at home since it’s easier, but limiting my meat consumption wasn’t difficult at school.</p>

<p>Also, having had a roommate who we believe is gluten-intolerant, I can say that she has expressed satisfaction with how the dining halls have handled her requests for gluten-free options. She was really excited after she talked to some of the Bama dining folks, actually. I never knew someone could be so happy about food. :)</p>

<p>TNTide5, it’s good to hear that you didn’t have problems. DD is not too picky but also not excited about potentially having limited selection and little variety. Would you recommend she contact Bama dining to ask what they do for vegetarians, or just wing it once she gets there?</p>

<p>She’s a little spoiled as I spent a great deal of time and effort developing/researching veggie based recipes for things like aloo koftas, samosas, paneers, faux chix enchilladas, etc., so it’s going to be a change for her to eat college food…</p>

<p>We are not GF or vegetarian but totally understand the issues. DD2 and myself or lactose intolerant. Went round and round in elementary school with the head cafeteria person for forcing her to take the mashed potatoes with gravy even after DD told her no. Had to explain that YES, a 3rd grader does indeed know what they are allergic to. Also had it out with them over her asthma inhaler. So it is nice to hear that there is a school that actually takes this stuff serious. I know from planning the menu options to feed an entire high school band I always try to pick a place that offers something for the GF and vegetarian members and have been surprised at how many more options we have nowadays. YEA! </p>

<p>Just from dining out in Tuscaloosa I did notice that the Mellow Mushroom has a GF menu. I can not testify for the GF menu but the rest of their menu is very good.<br>
TXA, I know you went to Mugshots, did they offer a GF menu? Their hamburgers are really good. </p>

<p>We will be there next week so while dining out I will pay more attention.</p>

<p>Haha yes, it will probably be a significant transition for her. I never spoke to anyone about it since their vegetarian sections are pretty clearly marked, but she sounds more serious about it than I am, so I would think it wouldn’t hurt to talk to someone.</p>

<p>jason’s deli and zoe’s kitchen have GF items…</p>

<p>sometimes if I am unsure like at Mugshots, I just dont eat. not worth it to get sick snd potentiallt lose one or two days…especially on a trip.</p>

<p>^^Totally understand, TXA. I have a friend with celiacs and there are days I just want to hug the pain away for her.</p>