Going to a state college then Ivy League?

<p>Going to a state college then Ivy League? </p>

<p>Hey everyone,
Right now I’m in the process of evaluating my academic situation and my ‘qualifications’ to attend an Ivy League University. Currently, I don’t feel as if I stand out academically and extracurricular wise because of several reasons. One of my reason is that I didn’t take AP or honors classes 9th to 10th grade because my school ‘home school’ didn’t offer them; you might be saying I could have taken them at a community college, but my circumstances prevented me to do so
(detailed explanation here <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/833829-i-m-african-american-homeschooled-i-need-help-how-get.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/harvard-university/833829-i-m-african-american-homeschooled-i-need-help-how-get.html&lt;/a&gt;)
I currently only take one AP class, but I plan on taking the majority of them my senior year. My reason is simple; I’m just not academically prepared to take AP Calculus and Physics, when I haven’t even taken standard Chemistry or Algebra II (I’m currently in those subjects). Anyways, I have this dream of becoming a neurosurgeon and I’m willing to accept the challenges that come along with it, but I don’t know if the ‘make up’ work I’m doing now will be enough for Yale, University of Pennsylvania ect. I’m just a driven and determined as any other Ivy bound, but I’m playing serious catch-up compared to everyone else.<br>
I know if a different card had been dealt to me I’d be adequately qualified to attend an Ivy League university now. However, I’m trying to make the most out of where I am presently. Is the better option for me attending a state college then attaining my medical degree from an Ivy League university? If anything I would attend the University of Florida or the University of Miami. </p>

<p>I do have questions on how competitive Ivy League universities become for graduate degrees. My ideal dream would be attending John Hopkins or Harvard University for my medical degree. Also, does anyone know of how many African Americans (females) apply to either of those schools for a medical degree?</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies, :)</p>

<p>Why is this in the UM forum?</p>

<p>The University of Miami is a private university.</p>

<p>As the others have mentioned, UM is private. But also, I wanted to say that I seriously doubt that Ivy League (or any college for that matter) will discriminate against you because your school doesn’t offer a bunch of AP classes. They require something called a “school report,” which is filled out by your counselor and shows the college what your school is like. Obviously, if you did not have the opportunity to take a lot of AP classes at your school, that will not be held against you. I am in a similar situation, because my school only offers 3 AP classes. I am applying to Cornell this year, and I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere that what they look at is that you have taken advantage of the opportunities you have been given. Some people are given more opportunities than others, but that will likely not be a strike against you. However, you should definitely take all the AP’s your school offers, but it doesn’t matter when, just as long as you take them.</p>