Good News - Admitted...But to General Engineering?

<p>Well as the title hints, the application selection of program was Engineering Mechanics with an option in Astronautics, and my son was admitted, but it looks like at this point, to general engineering. Now I've been looking around, and it looks like that is standard operating procedure, and you have a limited amount of time to take and achieve decent grades in certain courses in order to apply for, and be admitted to specific engineering degree programs. Is that true? Or, as is sometimes the case, am I wrong?</p>

<p>I'm sure the acceptance materials will be here any day now, and will explain everything, but until then, I'm relying on you guys.</p>

<p>I’m afraid I have no clue why you’re worried. He got admitted to the College of Engineering, you mean? His intended major has nothing to do with his admission to the university, and they really don’t care at this point. He applied to the university (and wanted to get admission to the College of Engineering). He will not even declare his major or gain admission to the major until his sophomore year. So it doesn’t seem like there’s a problem.</p>

<p>If you’re curious about the classes he needs to take (as there are some he’ll need to take his freshman year before he can be admitted to the program, or that they suggest you take freshman year) I would look at the catalog for information on that. <a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison;

<p>Or maybe there’s something I’m not understanding, and someone else can clarify further. :B</p>

<p>I think you are right to investigate more. At UW you are not accepted directly into your major until after your freshman or sophomore year. It is contingent upon grades and even the number of “slots” open in that particular major. I would talk to some people in the Engineering dept and ask these questions since they can have a serious impact. At U of I you are admitted directly into your major…no need to transfer or fret.</p>

<p>Everyone starts in GE. You need around a 2.5 to move into most majors. I don’t think EM is heavily popular so a 2.5 should do…</p>

<p>Standard procedure- one gets admitted to the university as a whole. The specific school/college/major can be changed at any time. Getting into a specific engineering major is dependent on UW performance, as above. By stating engineering he will get plugged into that school for SOAR advising, that is where it matters.</p>

<p>Path, I’m not worried at all, just a little confused, and thanks to the responses, I’m not even that any more. The application asks for a specific program that your interested in, if I recall correctly, and I wasn’t clear on whether you were admitted directly to the program you specified on the application, or, as it turns out, General Engineering.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Balthezar,</p>

<p>Congratulations to you and your son. I am hoping to have similar news soon.</p>

<p>Thanks, and good luck Ether. They turned a decision out within 2 weeks of receiving a completed application. So, if your app is complete, expect to hear from them soon.</p>

<p>Yes, it’s standard procedure at Wisconsin for at-large engineers to apply into their specific program, but the unfortunate thing is that this means that they don’t have room in all programs for those who want them. I wouldn’t guess this to be a problem in engr mechanics, but it sure is in BME, where last semester 90 kids tried for 30 spots. BME is the most competitive of the engr programs, unfortunately. But it does open one’s eyes to the fact that this application thing is not a technicality, it can potentially really screw up a student’s plan to finish in 4 years.</p>