Good news for UW undergrads

<p>UW may be in the middle, but it offers less in merit scholarships. </p>

<p>I've forwarded the information on the Business and Engineering tuition differentials and the Initiative surcharge to our high school's Guidance Department. They need to be able to advise students that the combination of the two have ramped up UW's costs significantly. Unfortunately my D2, like travelfun's S, decided on UW before the Initiative was announced so we too will have to "suck it up and pay." We still like UW, but our enthusiasm has been tarnished by the fact that either we or our D2 will have to take on another unexpected $7,500 in loans so that others can benefit free of charge.</p>

<p>In four years they will see all of the benefits. It might take two years to ramp up the faculty hiring but the staff and other improvements can be done in one year. Also temp (adjunct) faculty to handle more sections of large classes can be added very quickly until permanent staff are hired. </p>

<p>Which B10 schools actually offer much merit aid to OOS students? UW gives quite a bit--but much of it goes to upperclass year students as the funds are owned by the departments.</p>

<p>Purdue - higher ranked Engineering School and a very slightly lower ranked Business School than UW
Indiana - very slightly higher ranked Business School
Ohio State - very slightly lower ranked Business School</p>

<p>All three offer $9,000-$10,000 per year merit scholarships for entering OOS freshmen who have a high school GPA of ~3.8+ and an ACT ~30+/SAT ~1310+ (Verbal, Math). Scholarships are for 4 years. Check schools for specific GPA and test score requirements, they vary slightly.</p>

<p>Thanks I'll check those out. For one I would say neither of those schools overall has the prestige and quality of UW. Those stats are just above average for UW students and far above average for those schools so they are paying to attract better students UW already has plenty of.</p>

<p>Here's another article that mentions how the new program could help. And what separates UW from those other schools. It seriously strives to be very good in ALL areas. Purdue if fine for engineering but nobody would go there for liberal arts. Indiana is good for liberal arts and business but has no engineering. OSU does it all--just not as well.</p>

<p>As</a> biology booms, students flock to the lab (May 14, 2009)</p>

<p>What Barrons said, the '...seriously striving to be very good in ALL areas', is what may justify this increase for me when all is said & done.</p>

<p>We're OOS & have no choice but to pony up if D wants to stay. Yes, it's still cheaper than Ann Arbor, Northwestern, and a host of Eastern schools, and more pricey than Illinois, Purdue & Indiana--all of which she refused. </p>

<p>But my D is purposely going undecided into her frosh year, will be taking advantage of the Cross-College Advising Service (CCAS), and wants to make use of it to tailor a double-major to her liking. If the UW-Madison website is not blowing smoke, this is precisely the university to make that happen.</p>

<p>You both have valid points. I just don't like the way this initiative is designed to specifically hurt the middle class the most: -- low income = freebie, wealthy = no big deal, middle class & students who pay their own way = pretty big financial blow.</p>

<p>When any broad fundraising/tax program does not hit the middle/upper middle class hard it will be news. That's where the big numbers are. Most really upper class kids (income over $300K or so) are going to privates anyway unless they live in the few states with highly regarded publics. Low income kids have a growing number of programs available if they know where to look. The UW can't solve all these problems with one program. But overall this will be a great help to students and if they can graduate one semester sooner even the parents will come out ahead. Also by ramping up the charges over several years I think the benefits and costs will be pretty well coordinated in time. You won't be paying for the full upgrades for four years.</p>

<p>Pay a supplemental UW-Madison tuition charge that grows cumulatively by $250 per year over a four-year period.</p>

<p>That means that for the 2009-10 academic year, the supplemental tuition charge will be $250; for 2010-11, it will be $500; for 2011-12, it will be $750, and for 2012-13, it will be $1,000.</p>

<p>Out-of-state undergraduate students will:
Pay a supplemental UW-Madison tuition charge that grows cumulatively by $750 per year over a four-year period.</p>

<p>That means that for the 2009-10 academic year, the supplemental tuition charge will be $750; for 2010-11, it will be $1,500; for 2011-12, it will be $2,250, and for 2012-13, it will be $3,000.</p>

<p>How are this fall's freshmen going to graduate sooner if the bottleneck is in the prerequisite courses, and staff/faculty and increased course offerings won't be in place for another year, or two, or more? </p>

<p>Just because the middle class is the largest percentage of the population doesn't mean it's okay to foist most of the financial hardship on them. Obama understands that, why doesn't UW?</p>

<p>Obama is trying to give everyone (almost) something for nothing. Check the MASSIVE deficits he’s running for the next few years. Interest rates already have headed north and that is just like a tax on most of us. But let’s leave politics out of this. </p>

<p>I actually looked at the IU scholarship deal and I liked it. Obviously it’s just a discount on tuition for good students but it’s clear and simple. Nice. Currently UW is not allowed to discount tuition in that way and must use separate funds to pay the tuition to the other side of the house. IU is just eating the lost tuition. Lots of privates–especially second tier ones have similar tuition discounts for good students. </p>

<p>For this year they can hire more adjuncts to teach the intro level classes. It takes only a few weeks to hire one and they probably have long lists waiting to be called to teach a class or two. Of course with other cuts coming as per the Governor it’s hard to say where things will shake out. Maybe instead of more classes they just won’t have to cut sections like many schools are doing this year–right up to the Ivy schools. Hard to say until everything is settled. Here in Washington they are cutting with an axe.</p>

<p>[The</a> 2009-11 state budget for the UW : President Emmert’s Blog - washington.edu](<a href=“The 2009-11 state budget for the UW – Office of the President”>The 2009-11 state budget for the UW – Office of the President)</p>

<p>[Ivy</a> League Cuts: What $50K in Tuition Buys at SmartMoney.com](<a href=“http://www.smartmoney.com/personal-finance/college-planning/ivy-league-cutbacks-what-50k-in-tuition-buys/]Ivy”>Smart Money Home Page - Dow Jones)</p>

<p>That’s what it sounded like to me. We pay the UW initiative surcharge but instead of getting additional class sections in high-demand courses, the money goes to avoid cutting back any further than the salary freezes and forced unpaid furloughs. </p>

<p>I fully agree that Ivy League is not a good buy, unless you get a generous financial aid package or money is no object (AGAIN, the middle class is squeezed out). That’s what made UW so attractive - great school at a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, the annual tuition increases (justified, IMO) coupled with the new initiative (outrageously expensive for middle class OOSers) might force my D2 to transfer to something she and we can afford after her freshman year. The OOS initiative surcharge is the straw that almost certainly will break our camel’s back. :(</p>

<p>I’m sorry I’ve been horribly cranky about this. We’re in mourning… almost certainly will have to give up on D2’s dream school.</p>

<p>I also found the evidence to support my claim that research funding was well up this year and will grow under Obama. YTD (three qtrs) the total research grants received is up over $111 Million. By matter of comparison Michigan was down a couple million. That is outstanding performance.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.uwsa.edu/bor/agenda/2009/may.pdf[/url]”>Universities of Wisconsin - Unlimited Opportunity;

<p>See page 228
There also is a good discussion of the new undergrad plan in the same documents.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about the death.</p>

<p>Another place to look for some money is the local UW Alumni Club scholarship program. Usually they give several at around $2000-$4000 each. My local club just asks for an essay and copies of the student grades.</p>

<p>Our local area UW Alumni Club scholarships are - you guessed it - mostly need-based. There are always a lot more applicants than available scholarships, so they go to the kids with the lowest family incomes.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t be too sure about the continued growth of research $$$ from Obama. His intentions are good but something’s gotta give.</p>

<p>"President Barack Obama, calling current deficit spending “unsustainable,” warned of skyrocketing interest rates for consumers if the U.S. continues to finance government by borrowing from other countries.
“We can’t keep on just borrowing from China,” Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque. “We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our children’s future with more and more debt.”

[Obama</a> Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ?Unsustainable? (Update2) - Bloomberg.com](<a href=“Politics - Bloomberg”>Politics - Bloomberg)</p>

<p>Look for Social Security and Medicare to become means-tested, further squeezing the middle class which will be considered too ‘wealthy’ to qualify for benefits.</p>

<p>Regarding rankings- most students are in L&S and most who end up in other schools/colleges will take at least some courses in L&S. A lot of people have to settle for their less than top college choice due to finances. We are lucky in this state to have such a good flagship school. It wouldn’t hurt Medicare to back off on many services the rest of society rations because of cost and pays for- but that’s a whole new topic.</p>

<p>
[quote=]

Out-of-state undergraduate students will:
Pay a supplemental UW-Madison tuition charge that grows cumulatively by $750 per year over a four-year period.</p>

<p>That means that for the 2009-10 academic year, the supplemental tuition charge will be $750; for 2010-11, it will be $1,500; for 2011-12, it will be $2,250, and for 2012-13, it will be $3,000.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Is this for OOS that are already enrolled, or every OOS student during those years? I’m guessing the latter. So, I’m a rising Jr. in H.S. now, so if I go UW, I’d have to pay $5,250 extra over 2 years? Isn’t UW’s endowment over 1.5 billion?</p>

<p>You pay by the year so whenever you enroll you pay that’s year’s surcharge. I would expect the charge to become part of the base tuition after the 4 years. I doubt they could afford to go back to just the base as the state won’t be getting rich anytime soon. $3000 added to the base makes the total about $24,000 which would put UW in the lower middle of the Big 10. And that’s assuming other schools don’t follow the UW lead up their tuition.</p>

<p>$1.5 Billion is not that much for a large school and much of that is in dedicated funds often for the Medical School etc.</p>