Good nursing programs for 3.1 gpa...?

<p>Scranton is a really great program. They’re also very successful re pre-health professions (allopathic, OD, PA). New science facility. A hidden Jesuit gem that is getting increasingly large numbers of applicants.</p>

<p>It is always useful to hear first-hand comments about students in a program.</p>

<p>One other point: U. of Scranton is one of the most expensive undergrad nursing programs in the mid-Atlantic states in regards to tuition, room and board (along with U. Penn and Villanova). U. Scranton does offer merit and need aid, but they do not claim to meet 100% of need. </p>

<p>Many private colleges with nursing programs charge much lower tuition, room and board rates. Many other private universities (other than U. of Scranton) also offer thousands of dollars a year in tuition discounts through the Sage program for students with certain 529 college savings accounts (such as PA.'s).</p>

<p>wow i didn’t know that… i might just end up going to uconn because then i can pay instate. and i hear their nursing programs aren’t bad too. but i want to go to a decent college that can give me merit based aid with my current stats.</p>

<p>also, will being a male give me a little advantage? or am i just being stupid?</p>

<p>There are some colleges that discriminate against females in most admissions, because they are trying to achieve some sort of balance in male-female ratios. There was an attempt last year to start a federal investigation on the matter, but they said it was too hard to make conclusions based upon the available information. </p>

<p>Other people have said they believe males have an advantage in nursing school admissions, but I haven’t seen any data.</p>

<p>i see i see. but i seriously want some scholarships, cause my parents cannot pay for most of my tuition (considering how expensive college is nowadays). do you think i should stick to in state (uconn, i doubt they’ll give me any scholarships) or go somewhere that isn’t as good as scranton but will offer me merit based aid?</p>

<p>One of the reasons that my D chose Scranton was because of the good merit package they offered. Scranton was much less expensive than some of her other choices because of the merit aid. </p>

<p>houstonr, it wouldn’t hurt to apply and see what they offer if you are really interested. I think that would apply to any school where you have the potential for merit aid. It may be that some programs are very interested in attracting males.</p>

<p>It is worth the time and expense to apply to a range of schools and see where you are accepted and where is the most affordable. The most expensive college based upon tuition sticker price may turn out to be the least expensive in the end. You also need to add in travel costs, as well as whether you will be eligible for a state grant. For example, in PA, an average student going to an expensive private school may be eligible for a state PHEAA grant of up to $4,000 a year. However, if they go to a college in Maryland, New Jersey or New York, they get nothing because PA. is angry that residents of those states can’t use their grants in PA. If that same student goes to college in Delaware, they may get $600. </p>

<p>The policies on the ability to use state grants in another state vary from state to state. In some midwestern states, it is possible to get in-state tuition at a state school in certain other states. </p>

<p>Just be sure to include a couple of colleges that are BOTH admissions safeties and affordable. </p>

<p>Your preferences may also change in the next few months, so you want to have some choices. Schools not only vary in how much direct aid they offer per year, they also vary in the maximum amount of work study money you can earn, as well as the amount of subsidized Perkins loans they may or may not offer. Not only does tuition vary, but also room and board costs may vary up to $4,000 a year from college to college. When you compare tuition, be sure to include fees, which can add up quickly. </p>

<p>I like using <a href=“http://www”>www</a>. collegeboard. com as a start, because it provides comparable data for each college as far as costs, aid and many other factors. You can then research further if you wish by googling the name of the college and “common data set.”</p>

<p>Typically, the most total aid money by far is provided directly by the colleges, not by the independent scholarships that everyone chases. The easiest scholarships to receive are the local ones in your own area. Schmooze your teachers, because they often nominate students for the awards. However, those local scholarships are often $100 to $500 a year, and are only good for one year. These local scholarships can help, but it is more important to present your best face forward in your college application and any supplemental application for their scholarships/honors programs.</p>

<p>wow thank you charlie &sokker and everyone else! this really helped me a lot, and gave me a fresh new insight. i’ll get back to you guys if you have any other questions!</p>

<p>You sound alot like me. My SAT scores were 1970, my ACT is a 29 and my gpa was barely a 3.4 I’ve applied to 10, so far I’ve only heard from one school and I got in! (University of vermont)</p>

<p>IMO I got in because of my extracurricular. I volunteer at a hospital, nursing home and i’m an emt. I really showed them that I was dedicated to healthcare and really wanted to be a nurse.</p>