Graduate in 4 years?

<p>I am curious if most students graduate from Purdue in 4 years. More specifically do engineering students? Is there a problem with getting the classes needed to graduate? I know there are several schools that students are unable to get the classes needed so the more realistic time frame is 5 years.</p>

<p>Since my S is not getting any financial assistance this plays greatly in his decision.</p>

<p>Thanks for any comments.</p>

<p>I think that’s the norm</p>

<p>CrusaderMom</p>

<p>You are asking the right question. Graduating in four years is not really the “norm”. But the stats would be misleading. It is entirely possible to graduate in four years- your son simply needs to follow the laid out suggested curriculum working the advisor. However, many many underestimate the difficulty of engineering. Another factor is many do co-op–which is paid in many cases and that will help. But you might do an internship and though many are paid, some not so much in the economy. I have a friend whose son stumbled just a wee bit–and it took one more semester–so that was not too painful. He graduated this past December–and the good news within 45 days or so --found a job–which is the most critical piece.</p>

<p>I understand the cost completely. My son did actually get a trustee award for Purdue–but he prefers either out of state at Michigan–or one of two privates in the mid-west. We would be full-pay–so that is a major concern for me. My heart wants to send him where he wants to go–my common sense says–he should go to Purdue for just the cost of room and board–and then have options for grad school. </p>

<p>By the way, he is not in engineering at Purdue since he wants to study CS. At Michigan, he would be in the engineering school. The whole out of state decision is a tough one for many parents right now. And I can’t make up my mind at this point. </p>

<p>I am an alum from Purdue, I know the school real well. I see alot of questions about dorm rooms, first year experience etc. It is a good school. And, for some areas–engineering and CS ,etc–you really can’t beat it (a bargain for instate whether you get dollars or not). It is tough though. Purdue begins with attending class and doing homework. Do not get behind. Calculus is tough–some TA activity here–so be sure to advise those to get help as soon as they run into trouble. It is there–just ask. </p>

<p>By the way, I think I saw your name appear on Baylor. My son applied there as well. A very different kind of school. He applied to Michigan, Wisconsin, USC, some Ivies and midwest privates. All a bit different. But money is a real factor for us as well. Our students change their minds about majors–and that can certainly set you back a semester or two–depending upon the school–another factor. Parents do not have it easy in helping guide their children.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>one way to verify the statistics on graduation rate is to actually go to each school’s Common Data Set – very useful information on admission criteria/stats, demographics, financial aid and graduation rates.</p>

<p>We have not focused too much on the graduation rates – many schools now use a 6-year figure, which is completely depressing. Our son is looking at CS at several schools and as ComputerDad states, adding coops, study abroad, a minor, etc. can all add time.</p>

<p>We have tried to look at each school’s department program to assess how much wiggle room there is in scheduling classes via AP credits or using summer classes along the way. The risk with AP is getting too far ahead in classes in your core program – as we ask the questions in our final round of visits at the accepted programs, we ask the students what they did vis-a-vis skipping Calc, etc.</p>

<p>Our generation is approaching this process very differently than anyone my age did that I know of! Perhaps knowing that we are full-pay no matter where he goes is contributing to the overkill of analysis.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>nuum83</p>

<p>Thank you for referencing the Common Data Set. I did not know that this data existed. It is a fascinating resource that I will look at for many schools, and not just for graduation rates. There is a ton of information about many aspects of the school! Thanks again!</p>

<p>Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Yes my S has applied to Baylor, TCU, USC, Vanderbilt and a few others. He has received $ from a few schools which make some a bargain at around $30k (I can’t believe I am even saying that). He knows he wants to go to grad school so we are suggesting looking at the less expensive schools for undergrad.</p>

<p>Since we live in the northwest, my S is really looking at getting away from here and towards the sun. Purdue is the only hiccup but it is such a good engineering school that he just can’t take it off his list. At $42k and no $ from Purdue extra semesters definitely play into the equation.</p>

<p>we are in a similar situation – in Chicago and my son wants to study computer science. He’s finalizing from his choices of Purdue, Wisconsin, UT Austin and Georgia Tech. None of those options gave him money even with National Merit, 34 ACT, etc. UT is close to $48k a year and his top choice at the moment; less expensive than top privates but the most expensive public option for him.</p>

<p>I will say that Purdue has a very impressive job placement program. We visited it again during Scholar’s Day and were convinced that there is scholarship money for future years undergrad in CS as well as paid summer internships. I would imagine that engineering has similar opportunities.</p>

<p>You really do need to be strategic in making sure that they start off first semester with a good advisor to ensure that all credits are counting toward the graduation requirements to help with watching the timeframe to complete the degree.</p>