Graduate programs focusing on choral studies? Do they exist?

I share my experiences bc I think that they are very common. And, yes, I used to get this slight feeling of pity coming from some friends and family when I would tell them about my D getting cast at different venues (admittedly more small venues at first). Like they felt sorry for me believing in my kid’s crazy dream…and were simply waiting for the day when I would say…“well she finally got a position in payroll at Big Known Company…she’s done being a starving aritist!” Only recently have I noticed that sense of pity being replaced by acceptance. It shouldn’t matter but it was definitely annoying and tiresome.

I just want @Propinquity4444 to know that they are not alone…and really…you don’t owe people an explanation. You can decide how much you want to say…or not. It really is your S’s life…so point any nosy people in that direction. Truly, he can explain it better than you (or at least that’s what I would say). Man…just give me a break…and let me enjoy myself and my wine!!

4 Likes

@Propinquity4444 I was thinking of you while reading the Walden School (summer program) newsletter; Gmail - InterNetzo: Walden news February 2022 (google.com)

It seems choral artists, directors, teachers and composers were mentioned several times. Maybe some clues!

1 Like

I asked my son. He says there’s definitely voice performance grad students who are focusing on choral music and targeting professional choirs at UNT. So yes, programs do exist. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I saw a social media post today that put this back in my head. The choral director at Frost got her DMA at UNT. She also studied at Western Michigan which seems to be strong in choral music. I think we’ve encountered other alumni from there as well.
Your son should really speak with the choral directors at Miami and get their thoughts on how to pursue the career he wants. Perhaps he is doing that already.
Best wishes to him.

1 Like

My son spent a week at the ACDA conference and absolutely had the time of his life! He worked the exhibition booth for his school, he got to sit in on amazing sessions presented by industry leaders and listen to many amazing ensembles. It was a great experience!

The highlight was singing a premier piece by Jason Max Ferdinand, currently the DCA at the U of Maryland, with the JMax Singers. They were headlining and my son was able to sing on stage with them in a packed concert hall. Jacob Collier was a surprise guest that night (didn’t know who he was until that night, but I’m learning!) There’s no turning back now! He is positive that he wants to sing professionally and it looks like he will have the opportunity to study at the University of the Redlands! He found out while he was at the ACDA that he was accepted into the program. So I guess this might really be happening!

5 Likes

Sounds like a great experience!

Jacob Collier is a big deal with college musicians! He spoke at UNT this week as well and it conflicted with my sons choir rehearsal. Son said that between ACDA, some illness, and Jacob Collier, choir was sparsely attended that day!

1 Like

My son was playing at the conference on the ‘Weather’ piece by Dilworth. He really enjoyed it - especially getting standing ovations (granted he was playing timpani) for such a powerful piece.

Sounds like your son had an amazing experience! It’s always great when they can go to industry conferences and see all sides of the business. (and meet industry legends)

2 Likes

My son saw Temple perform and said they did very well! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

I second this vote for Luther College. My D is there and has loved choral singing there—there are five choirs!

However, it does not have a grad program.

I just discovered the Yale MM with Early Music, Oratorio, and a vocal chamber ensemble, and I believe Frost has a connection with a local professional choir. Perhaps all this has been mentioned before!