Greek Life for the Class of 2014

<p>I'm becoming more and more interested in pledging; specifically to Alpha. What do you guys/gals think about sororities and fraternities? Are there any other prospectives who are interested? What are your opinions on traditionally White, Black, Hispanic, exc. Greek systems ? What are you hoping to get out of the experience? What are your fears?</p>

<p>Delta Sigma Theta :slight_smile:
Most people say I look like an AKA, so I got to know the Deltas and their sorority (ironic, right?) and want to pledge for them.</p>

<p>omg i think i wanna be a delta too lol, well either that or a zeta since i admittedly know more about zetas. </p>

<p>i just love the traditions of black greek life and i really wanna be apart of it, but im scared about the whole pledging process lol</p>

<p>Lol I’m a pretty adventurous person so I wouldn’t mind the whole process too much. I’m the same person that got hit by a car walking across the street…and laughed. Figures.</p>

<p>yeah i’m not too concerned about the hazing . as long as the activities they want me to do aren’t life-threatening, then i’m cool. i’m a pretty social dude and at tier 1 schools, it’s nice to have a central network of like-minded peers to hang out with and do some great stuff for the community. but i’m really interested in that fantastic alumni network alpha phi alpha has! =D </p>

<p>but i heard some things about the AKAs … horrible stories about brown paper bag testing and elitist snobbery. i don’t know if it’s true though.</p>

<p>just a question, </p>

<p>would any of you ever consider joining a traditionally white sorority/fraternity? why or why not?</p>

<p>^^In some places AKAs are snobbish and in some places Deltas are. </p>

<p>I don’t think I’d join any sorority. I’m just not into that sort of thing. Deltas are big in my family, but my brother is Omega Psi Phi, so he’d be happy to have an AKA sister. </p>

<p>As for non-Divine Nine sororities, well, I don’t really know anything about them. I’m not more opposed to joining one of them than I am opposed to joining a black one.</p>

<p>i wouldn’t hesitate with joining traditional white fraternities but honestly, they would probably be my last resort. it depends on the legacy of the fraternity and the type of guys that traditionally pledge to it. all frats/sororities provide some sort of feeling of belonging and everyone shares something that unites a group of students. </p>

<p>throughout my whole life though, i’ve always been around people who look like me with the same background as me. essentially, i’ve been around very few whites. i’m excited to be attending institutions that have student populations which are reflective of the actual numbers we have in our nation’s racial groups. but walking into it is going to be something very new and different for me, so it’ll take enough time for me to adjust as it is. i can’t wait to seriously intermingle and make great friends with amazing people outside of my race. throwing myself into a traditionally white fraternity at the first jump, however, might not be a very good idea for me initially. i would probably have to warm up to the student body a little bit more before i do.</p>

<p>in general, traditionally racial greek frats/sororities do things a bit differently, as far as social liasosns go. i’m not too sure about how they differ with the nature of hazing, but that’s another thing. like i always see the typical white frats on tv doing things that are really embarrassing, involve toxication and things of that nature. i’m not holding all white fraternities to those standards, nor am i neglecting the probable fact that black frats probably do them too. but there’s always something small in the back of my mind that makes me want to refrain from the thought of joining a traditional white frat because of what the media has made it out to be. nonetheless, as long as the frat can persuade me why i should pledge and i like how the frat presents itself, i’m open to anything! that’s what college is about, afterall.</p>

<p>My brother just completed his initiation process for Alpha. The worst “hazing” that occurs = the paddling in simulation of bondage and all of that. But from what I can tell, it wasn’t that severe.</p>

<p>Though I’m used to being in the permanent minority (i.e. only black student in the entire Honors class at my school :frowning: ), I think I might consider pledging to a black sorority. I’m on my school’s track team (majority = black), and it’s worlds apart from the cold shoulder I get from my classmates during the day. But I’d really rather join the manga club in college. :D</p>

<p>whatever you guys decide to do… remember discretion is key!</p>