Growth in Numbers and Quality

<p>It continues…</p>

<p>[Sometimes</a> numbers do lie | The Crimson White](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube – The Crimson White)</p>

<p>This whole kerfuffle is so “been there, done that.” </p>

<p>I didn’t realize we were back in 2007.</p>

<p>All I can say is wow – the level of Mr. Davis’ contempt for his fellow students is amazing – to wit:
“It’s not a coincidence that all those freshmen packing into Ridgecrest South look exactly alike; it’s because they all come from the same white-dominated suburbs where, if kids don’t go to private schools, it’s because they have nicer public schools due to better funding from higher property taxes in their districts.”</p>

<p>I am truly amused reading all this nostalgia for the smaller UA of bygone days. While I was at UA the enrollment stood at roughly 16500 undergrads. Guess what – there were long lines at lunch time. There were exactly two cafeterias on campus where you could use your meal plan – Burke and Tutwiler (where the current MTLC is located). Athletes could eat at Bryant, but nobody else could. There were no dining dollars options, no places within academic buildings where you could grab a quick bite and no meal plan options in the Ferg. There was a deli on the strip and that was about it as far as off campus dining options within walking distance. There was a truck parked outside of Bidgood where you could spend cash to buy a sandwich or a piece of fruit. All dorms were double rooms with community baths – and for the most part only freshman lived on campus. Rose Towers was considered amazing, but only open to grad students and students with families. </p>

<p>There was no rec center until the year before I graduated – and we paid a hefty “Activity Fee” to get it built. There were no buses to get students without cars to the rec center (or anywhere on campus for that matter.) The Student Health Center had six beds, if I recall correctly and nobody would have contemplated using it for anything other than emergency health care. Parking was tight everywhere. If you found a spot near your residence you tried your hardest not to move your car. </p>

<p>Of course, we never missed all the amenities that the current students enjoy because we never imagined a world where students had private rooms with baths they don’t share with twenty hallmates, dining options that didn’t involve a lady in a hairnet plopping one of the two food options for the day on your plate, rock climbing walls, jogging tracks and pools that look like resorts, and buses to transport you to class and even to the mall on weekends.</p>

<p>I guess I am sounding like an old geezer – we walked uphill both ways in the snow, barefoot – but truly I was completely astounded upon coming back to campus at all the amenities that the increased out of state enrollment has afforded the fortunate students at UA. Mr. Davis and Ms. Wyckoff may want to talk to a few of us older alums before waxing nostalgic for a UA that was never like their idealized vision of a smaller campus. The amenities they enjoy today come from the increased fees paid by the larger student population. You cannot have it both ways.</p>

<p>lol…some of these kids have no idea how good they have it. </p>

<p>And, frankly, at most colleges, most of the kids are from affluent families…because most schools cannot provide funding for most students. Even the ivies have lots of affluent kids. Look at Cornell’s FA stats…only half of the kids qualify for $1 or more aid. That means half are rich enough to pay $50k+ per year…and good number of the others are paying up to $50k.</p>

<p>M2CK… crowding at lunch is a problem in life. Restaurants do not plan for seating for their largest expected crowd. Are there options and opportunities to help students not have to wait in line? Probably. Increased takeout, satelite food kiosks… (I am agreeing with you, M2Ck, in case this comment does not come off that way! )</p>

<p>As someone that has not attended UA, it really does not sound like that much of an issue. As someone who has been reading these and other forums of many many universities, it is not something that would be a deal breaker for my student. Particularly since there are many other things that UA offers. </p>

<p>I would wonder if either of the verbal students are benefiting from the merit scholarships or other aid at UA. And I did not read anything in the opinions from them that supported the claim that student personalization was suffering because of the increase in numbers. Which supposedly was the point of the origional piece.</p>

<p>Well said paying4collegeX4 and I couldn’t agree more with you. Back in the day when I went to school (think Crimson but in the Big 10) we did walk through snow to get to classes :slight_smile: The union was always packed, parking was always an issue and our “dining plan” included meals at the dorm of the previous poster’s description, but you know what I got a great education, after all that is really what it is all about. As another poster earlier mentioned at least UA is building dorms, etc to accomdate the growing student population, unlike stories I have heard stories here in NC of kids staying in dorm floor lobbies and multipurpose type rooms until other accomdations are made for them. The kids at UA should be thrilled with all the University has to offer them.</p>

<p>paying4collegex4, I would highly encourage you to email that as a letter to the editor of the CW. If you email it now, it could be in tomorrows paper. Contrary to what may be implied here, the CW loves to get responses to their columns.</p>

<p>What we have here, as my son is fond of saying in situations such as this, is a first-world problem. </p>

<p>We can count our blessings or have a little cheese with our whine.</p>

<p>UA is awesome. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Well said, Malanai! You always manage to inject much needed perspective into the conversation.</p>

<p>*M2CK… crowding at lunch is a problem in life. Restaurants do not plan for seating for their largest expected crowd. Are there options and opportunities to help students not have to wait in line? Probably. Increased takeout, satelite food kiosks… (I am agreeing with you, M2Ck, in case this comment does not come off that way! )</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Oh I know that you’re agreeing with me.</p>

<p>That’s why when some kids complain about stuff that is just part of life or part of any university, I try to clarify that and offer insight/alternatives.</p>

<p>You’re right…no restaurant has enough seating for its busiest times…that’s why when you go to a restaurant at dinner time, you’re given one of those little “light up coasters” that will beep/flash when a table is finally available for you. </p>

<p>When it comes time to register, students/parents need to keep all of this in mind when scheduling the lunch break. Too many will schedule classes back to back right up until noon time and then everyone heads to a dining venue at that time. </p>

<p>* As someone who has been reading these and other forums of many many universities, it is not something that would be a deal breaker for my student. Particularly since there are many other things that UA offers. </p>

<p>* </p>

<p>One of the drawbacks of having such an active Bama Forum is sometimes too much info is given. What I mean is when prospective students/parents read about parking issues or busy lunch hours on this forum, yet they’re not seeing such on the “less-active forums”, they may wrongly think that these issues are somehow unique to Bama. Even the recent thread about Greek life has been like that. </p>

<p>Most schools have the same issues…not enough parking (OMG…the parking at my son’s grad school is unbelievably bad…and lots can be blocks away…might as well walk from your apt/dorm…and you get to pay $780 for a year’s parking permit!! Not to mention an additional $100 to park at your university-owned apt… Oh my! So, nearly $900 per year for parking!)</p>

<p>And, we haven’t yet visited a campus where the noon hour will find uncrowded dining venues…unless the food is atrocious! lol</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestion feeno – but we have a fairly distinctive last name and I am pretty sure that my freshman daughter doesn’t want her mom to end up with a byline in the Crimson White (particularly if it looks like I am beating up on her fellow students)!</p>

<p>My first year at Alabama there were roughly 25,000 students. Now there are 30,000. Along with the increase in students there should have been an increase in facilities. That didn’t happen. In fact, parking spots (surrounding the quad) were removed to make way for the bus system (which I think was a mistake). Dr. Witt expanded beyond the campus’ limits. While parking wasn’t a pleasant situation when i was a freshman, it seems as though it’s twice as bad now as it was then. The Ferg is horribly overcrowded. Getting into Lloyd Hall at 10 am slows to a crawl if you try to use the front door. I commend the administration on the aggressive expansion, but I believe they were a little too ambitious in their efforts. I have hope that when the new residence halls and subsequent parking garages are finished it will alleviate some of the problem.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, rolltide, what you are seeing is how most businesses expand. Very few have the ability to expand infrastructure, then hope to expand business. But I am still not hearing the same complaints that I have heard about other schools. And there are many schools that are boasting a much larger freshman class. Enrollment is up everywhere.
As far as parking as a freshman, many schools don’t even let freshmen have cars on campus. </p>

<p>But I am still trying to get my head around the housing issue. How many students want on campus housing and can not get it? How can a student avoid not getting on campus housing?</p>

<p>Love it PAYINGFORCOLLEGEX4! </p>

<p>Thank you! More folks could invest in a loaf of bread and some peanut butter if they can’t adjust their schedule around the lunch-hour crush.</p>

<p>You won’t find me critical of an institution that is thriving and growing while I live in a state that is watching the demise of one of the finest systems of higher education…in fact, they need a Dr. Witt. For all the ‘inconvenience’ - our kids are getting a 4 year degree in 4 (or even 3) years! Roll tide.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The whole argument itself is whether the university is “thriving and growing” in a good way or not.</p>

<p>Ahh feeno…you long for the old days when the campus was smaller…lol<br>
When do you graduate?</p>

<p>* Along with the increase in students there should have been an increase in facilities. That didn’t happen. In fact, parking spots (surrounding the quad) were removed to make way for the bus system (which I think was a mistake). *</p>

<p>??</p>

<p>there have been an increase in facilities…new parking structures, more dorms, more classrooms, more dining venues. In the last 10 years, Bama has added over 40 buildings. To suggest that the school hasn’t expanded facilities while it has expanded growth is ignoring those facts. </p>

<p>I first visited the campus when older son was a junior in high school…in 05. The changes since then have been amazing. </p>

<p>And, closing the interior to make room for the Crimson Ride was an excellent idea. Schools are much safer when you have less cars driving in the interior. Anyone who has tried to drive though a school’s interior streets during a school day knows that at any minute a student might suddenly dart across the street…I know…I’ve had it happen to me and it about scared the bejeezus out of me. Closing interior streets and putting in a bus system was one of the best ideas ever.</p>

<p>As for parking…new structures have been added…and if parking was as bad as some kids complain, then Bama would do what other schools do and not allow frosh to bring cars. Bama parking issue isn’t nearly as bad as other schools.</p>

<p>*But I am still trying to get my head around the housing issue. How many students want on campus housing and can not get it? How can a student avoid not getting on campus housing? *</p>

<p>All frosh can have on campus housing. NMFs can have housing, but they have to recontract. It can get sticky as the years go on for non-NMFs…those who re-contract first have the best chances. </p>

<p>However, most kids WANT to move off campus after the frosh/soph years. It’s often cheaper to live off campus.</p>

<p>I think CB has posted some new numbers…I think the old numbers only had 2% Hispanic…now it’s 4%</p>

<p>And…42% OOS for Bama!! I think the OOS numbers for this year’s incoming frosh class is closer to 50%…we’ll have to wait to hear those numbers.</p>

<p>Percent applicants admitted: 54%</p>

<p>58% In-state students
42% Out-of-state students</p>

<p>1% Part-time students
55% Women
45% Men</p>

<p><1% American Indian or Alaska Native
1% Asian
12% Black or African American
4% Hispanic/Latino
<1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
80% White
2% Two or more races
1% Non-Resident Alien</p>

<p>43% in top 10th of graduating class
60% in top quarter of graduating class
84% in top half of graduating class</p>

<p>35% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
17% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
16% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
14% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
16% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
2% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49</p>

<p>They better watch that male/female ratio. I know UA is strictly a stats based admission, but when it gets too out of whack it really starts to knock them on ratings. (I also know the ratings aren’t worth the paper they are written on, but why stop the upward trajectory?)</p>

<p>Bring on the Freshman 2011 Numbers! :slight_smile: So excited to see the changes. Even a 1% change in key categories year over year is VERY impressive.</p>

<p>Yes…Male/Female ratio is important. However, a 45/55 ratio is not noticeable on campus. A normal class setting would still include roughly half boys and half girls…unless it’s engineering, nursing, or education. </p>

<p>It’s when the numbers get like 35/65 or worse that it becomes a problem.</p>