Growth in Numbers and Quality

<p>I think those ratios included grad students (and rounding), because Bama posts these numbers for undergrad ratios for the 2010-11 school year.</p>

<p>Males:… 47.6
Females:… 52.4</p>

<p>But when you include grad students, the ratios are…
Males…46.8
Females…53.2</p>

<p>So, with grad students included…and some rounding…you’d get the CB ratios.</p>

<p>I only pick at M/F numbers because everything else looks so good, and like Dad said…wait unit they post 2011 #'S!!!
Roll Tide!!</p>

<p><strong>They better watch that male/female ratio.</strong></p>

<p>That was my first thought when I saw those numbers. My D (who hasn’t shown the slightest interest in dating so far), won’t even look at a school where the ratio goes much above 55F:45M - she thinks it changes the dynamics of a school. A couple schools I thought might have been a decent fit went by the wayside for that reason.</p>

<p>the undergrad numbers are…</p>

<p>Males:… 47.6
Females:… 52.4</p>

<p>Which is pretty typical</p>

<p>Well, Feeno - a lot of us consider what is going at UA as exemplary. It would be nice to see your perspective in 25 or 30 years :)</p>

<p>In terms of access for students, graduates, etc… I suspect that serving a greater number of people is a good thing.</p>

<p>But, being from California when being born here (as opposed to moving here) was unusual, I confess I’d rather see this beautiful state without the ‘growth’ that has taken over its fruit orchards, beaches, etc… </p>

<p>So, from a personal standpoint, I understand what you’re saying. However, more people are living here and bring their assets at the cost of what I remember so fondly. I try to think of it as different, not wrong or bad. And, given a choice, I’d take it back 40 -50 years.</p>

<p>P.S. But that would cost growth and progress and we can’t do that. It just isn’t an option. Sigh.</p>

<p>I just can’t put the changes at UA in the same limelight. But I do empathize your perspective.</p>

<p>I don’t think Alabama is in any danger of becoming overgrown like areas of Calif…loss of fruit orchards, etc. </p>

<p>This state needed higher ranking national universities, and it’s getting them. The state is home to many high-tech companies and with one you need the other…hence Senator Shelby’s recognition that this state’s top universities needed new science/engineering facilities.</p>

<p>Well, I’m not your average student. I’ve been here at UA a long time, longer than I should be proud to admit, and I lived in town for a while before that. I first started hanging around UA when I attended SITE (Student Introduction to Engineering) as a rising sophomore in the summer of 2000: eleven years later, I will be graduating my an MS (<em>fingers crossed</em>) in December.</p>

<p>I had a much longer, rambling post of my thoughts, but, whatever, it’s not worth it.</p>