GWU Financial Aid Help

I need to make my decision in eight hours. I’ve been accepted to GW with early decision 2, we won’t find out the financial aid until shortly before school starts. My EFC is $0. My family emigrated here 10 years ago. I don’t know much about the financial aid process. I used the NPC and it said my COA is $20k. I already applied to two other schools, I’ve been rejected to UMBC and I’ve accepted to my local community college. GWU is my dream school. Is there any way I can make my finances work. My GPA is 3.7.

GW is asking you to make an enrollment decision with no financial aid offer in hand? And you’ve been told that financial aid information won’t be available “until shortly before school starts”? That doesn’t sound right, and if it is right, it’s nuts.

Something here doesn’t make sense. You can’t be expected to accept admission without a full financial package — and schools don’t expect you to.

You need to call GW now to ask for an extension and for your financial aid package in writing.

Also, I don’t think GW promises to meet the full demonstrated need of students. An EFC of 0 doesn’t mean the school covers all your costs.

More about GW policies for students who need significance aid: https://www.propublica.org/article/george-washington-university-has-for-years-claimed-to-be-need-blind.-its-no

It is an early decision agreement. I mean that its a contract between me and GWU. They expect me to enroll regardless of the financial aid that they will offer me. Breaking the contract, by not enrolling, won’t be good on my part.

@ahsanhanif That’s not true. The ONE legitimate reason that you can break an ED agreement is exactly this — for lack of financial aid to the extent that you cannot attend.

What’s already been stated stands.

You need a full financial package from the school before you accept admission. You need to know how you’re going to pay for school before you accept admission.

Ohhh. Understood! Thank you.

We have similar problem.
GWU sent me accepted letter (EDII) & COA is full price without any aid ($75,570). I emailed financial aid office and hope to hear back from GWU this week.

@ahsanhanif Why do you think that you won’t get a financial aid package until shortly before school starts?

@Lakota It’s normal for you to receive your acceptance letter before the financial aid package. I don’t recall exaclty how long it takes to receive but I want to say a week or so.

My S did not do ED anywhere because he is dependent on scholarships. ED is a binding commitment if accepted.

@klevine that is not entirely true. There is a “way out,” and it’s solely due to financial considerations. The agreement that the student enters into with the university is that they will attend GW if accepted and that it’s financially feasible (I’m not sure of the exact term in the contract). That means that you’re not obligated to go if you’re not able to afford it. Note, though, that this simply does not mean the student doesn’t wish to take out loans, but that the amount up front the university expects from the parents is not possible to be covered.