Hampshire “Seeking Partner”

Regarding “rich kids”, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=hampshire&s=all&id=166018#finaid says that Hampshire has 30% of undergraduates receiving Pell grants (close to the average for all colleges, higher than the highly selective private schools that most forum posters like to write about). Also, 92% receive some form of grant or scholarship money (far higher than the approximately half at the highly selective private schools that most forum posters like to write about).

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg06_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=415 says that the 4/5/6 year graduation rates at Hampshire are 47/60/62%. This appears to be about average for students at all colleges, where the 6 year graduation rate is about 60%.

https://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg02_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=415 indicates that Hampshire recently admitted 63% of frosh applicants (so not “almost anyone”), with HS GPAs across the whole range, median around 3.5, test scores not considered.

Hampshire will always be an easy target for those who have an agenda that includes fostering traditional education and so-called “conservative values”. Yes, tuition is expensive and the attrition rate is higher-than-desirable. Yes, there are no established ‘majors’ and students get to plan their own concentration toward graduation. However, both of our children graduated from Hampshire and both were powerfully transformed by the experience. Both are successful in their fields of choice, one spectacularly so. Hampshire’s ‘partnership’ announcement today was saddening to me, and I really hope that they figure out a way to come out of this in a strong enough position to continue their innovative approach to teaching and learning. Goodness knows there are so few higher-education institutions that pursue similar student-centered techniques, it would be a real shame to lose one.

It is almost always easy to identify the ignorant nay-sayers. They typically start with a snarky comment about rampant drug abuse, then move on to ridiculing privileged ultra-liberal students who earn worthless degrees while never attending classes. And, there will probably be just enough kids who match that profile to allow Hampshire’s critics to feel validated.

However, anyone who has actually attended or been a member of a family with someone who actually attended, knows the truer story. It is hard to earn a degree at Hampshire. Rather than lying around smoking weed all day, students have to meet with a committee to lay out a detailed and coherent plan for pursuing a concentration that will yield a meaningful degree. They continue to meet with that committee, to report on their progress and ensure that they are on track. Students with poor attendance patterns receive negative course evaluations from their professors, yielding a transcript that will not reflect well on the recipient. For serious students, the work load is high, particularly in the areas of reading and writing. My kids report that none of their peers, some of whom went to more prestigious institutions, had to read or write as much.

So, I’m going to continue to root for Hampshire, so more students will be able to take advantage of this unique educational opportunity for another 50 years.

The admission and graduation rates are roughly the same as many of the SUNYs and better than many CUNYs, so if it’s “a joke” then there are lots of colleges that are “jokes,” I guess.

Most of the liberal arts colleges outside the very top (oldest and most competitive) schools are struggling. On another thread, I posted a thread about the relationship between awards, finances and sustainability for LACs. It’s a shame about Hampshire and some others currently on the edge so to speak. They usually do a great job educating students and are the only institutions dedicated to that mission. Hampshire is just one of quite a few whose futures are up in the air. I’ll repeat the link here: https://www.ilr.cornell.edu/sites/ilr.cornell.edu/files/CHERI%20WP181.pdf

Hampshire will always be an easy target for those who have an agenda that includes fostering traditional education and so-called “conservative values”. Yes, tuition is expensive and the attrition rate is higher-than-desirable. Yes, there are no established ‘majors’ and students get to plan their own concentration toward graduation. However, both of our children graduated from Hampshire and both were powerfully transformed by the experience. Both are successful in their fields of choice, one spectacularly so. Hampshire’s ‘partnership’ announcement today was saddening to me, and I really hope that they figure out a way to come out of this in a strong enough position to continue their innovative approach to teaching and learning. Goodness knows there are so few higher-education institutions that pursue similar student-centered techniques, it would be a real shame to lose one.

It is almost always easy to identify the ignorant nay-sayers. They typically start with a snarky comment about rampant drug abuse, then move on to ridiculing privileged ultra-liberal students who earn worthless degrees while never attending classes. And, there will probably be just enough kids who match that profile to allow Hampshire’s critics to feel validated. To mock Hampshire attendees as not even real students, and to assert that none of them are serious about social justice could be a new low, though. It leaves me wondering why someone would revel in the difficulties that a small liberal arts college is facing.

However, anyone who has actually attended or been a member of a family with someone who actually attended, knows the truer story. It is hard to earn a degree at Hampshire. Rather than lying around smoking weed all day, students have to meet with a committee to lay out a detailed and coherent plan for pursuing a concentration that will yield a meaningful degree. They continue to meet with that committee, to report on their progress and ensure that they are on track. Students with poor attendance patterns receive negative course evaluations from their professors, yielding a transcript that will not reflect well on the recipient. For serious students, the work load is high, particularly in the areas of reading and writing. My kids report that none of their peers, some of whom went to more prestigious institutions, had to read or write as much.

So, I’m going to continue to root for Hampshire, so more students will be able to take advantage of this unique educational opportunity for another 50 years.

Odd that people are being so critical of the school. I assume that criticism would target any liberal arts college. Yet, those schools are focused almost entirely on the mission of education. I’ll also repost a paper suggesting that people who probably know best send their own kids (when they are willing to attend) to liberal arts colleges. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.535.1119&rep=rep1&type=pdf

From what I’ve seen over years and years, from my experiences with large and small colleges and universities, public and private, LACs do the best job inspiring students.

I think it’s clear that some people commenting about Hampshire are doing so in a trollish fashion looking for a reaction. It’s too bad that they don’t look more deeply into that school before continuing to comment.

I agree @ALF that Hampshire has so much to offer, especially in this time of cookie-cutter education. Hampshire is the opposite of that and being different, looking at the world with creativity, is very valuable.

It literally has changed the world – I’m old enough to know some graduates of its early classes and these people have all done marvelous things. It’s really mind boggling! I do not want to disclose their various fields because I don’t want to identify any individuals, but it’s interesting to note that in one case, this school that’s often poo-pooed by conservatives, has gone on to change how the military does certain things, and is a regular consultant for the military. The research of this person has helped so many military members and their families and continues to do so.

I’ve known others who have done well in the world of investing. Another person I know is well-known in the design world (I won’t disclose what area of design). Another in writing–like a household name in that field.

Those are just some in the earlier classes that I know personally. In my professional career I’ve met other “Hampsters” and it’s always been refreshing.

My guess is that they know exactly what they plan to do. This announcement was written after they found a partner and before they make that announcement. This reads as though the writer already knows what the upshot is-which is a good thing. I bet they make the announcement in coordination with the June 2020 celebration-as they’d never would have mentioned the anniversary if they did not think there was a future at all-so they know what it is.

I have not been keeping up with current affairs at Hampshire, so I was rather shocked to see this. I knew that Hampshire, like many other middle-tier small liberal arts colleges, was struggling financially, but I didn’t realize the depth or severity of the problem. I am so rooting for Hampshire to find a way to continue, and also continue to despair at the joy that a few posters here seem to experience over the possible demise of this small niche college. I will always wonder why Hampshire can be so threatening for some individuals. I guess for them, to know is enough.

Sometimes statistics are misreported.

Doubtful that a solution has been found as the article states that it is uncertain as to whether or not a new freshman class will be admitted.

If Hampshire was doing so well, then why is it in this predicament–which has been publicized for several years now ?

I am serious with respect to my comments. Hampshire College has not kept these difficulties a secret. I believe that Hampshire’s difficulties have been discussed for several years now.

Some people commenting? There have only been two and did you read my posts. I am all for schools that meet the needs of their students and my only concern was for potential freshman and the kids there. No agenda on my part. Just to be clear.

From the FAQ:

https://www.hampshire.edu/sites/default/files/Hampshire_College_FAQ_01-15-19.pdf

Also:

I read that as, if they find a partner things might so substantially change that students who chose Hampshire for what it currently offers might find themselves getting something very different.

@publisher, you are the one who first mentioned “rates”. Since discovering the actual “rates” don’t fit your narrative, you now claim they are "misreported’?

Is that a fair approach to the discussion?

I’m not suggesting that Hampshire has been doing well or not. But am betting that they have some idea of what they will do but are unsure of the time frame. Just would seem very odd to talk at all about an anniversary celebration in the context of not knowing what plans might be in the works. They seem like they are planting the seeds so that whatever they announce is accepted more readily.

No, just dealing with the reality of the situation at Hampshire College. There is, and has been, a serious problem in attracting & retaining students.

When a college announces in mid January that it will decide before February 1st whether or not to enroll a new freshman class, that is not good news. Even if the answer is yes, then Hampshire’s yield will be low. Hampshire did not make this announcement in an attempt to exacerbate the problem. As stated by Hampshire, this is an ethical matter.

Hampshire stated that it had an ethical obligation to make a decision before February 1st. Seems as though they want to give fair warning to their current applicants.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
I’m working under the assumption that there will be no further dazzling us with presentation of numbers, challenging validity of the dazzling presentations, or any other debate on analytics. Present your point, defend if needed, and then move on.

My wild and completely unfounded guess is that they are hoping the dire news will reach the alumni network and public at large and they will have a Sweet Briar College-esque rescue mission.

They have some famous and interesting alums, so maybe?

Hampshire College has announced it is looking to merge to stave off financial problems. They are not sure if they will accept a freshman class for next fall. Class of 2023.