Hampshire “Seeking Partner”

I think they couldn’t in good faith allow students to think they could matriculate next fall, so that is probably one reason for the timing.

Although it seems like they could delay the admission notification date to April 1, in case the situation is unresolved on February 1.

Well they are not alone. Every LAC giving out merit aid has concerns about attracting strong students. Many LACs are struggling financially. Let’s hope they pull it out.

Right, but at least giving some notice now is only fair. I don’t have time to look now, but I feel like Sweet Briar went public with their issues later in the admissions cycle and it was a big problem for students who were set on going there already.

The article stated that a decision will be made by February 1st.

Well - my opinions differ from Publishers , and we have very disappointed and dismayed reactions in our house after the application process is over and we may not have a chance at this school

Antioch is still around. You’re quite the one-trick pony, @Publisher. Please try to do some research.

@Publisher re: post 14. Antioch was a Phoenix and rose from the ashes. Am hopeful Hampshire will survive too. Your repetitive unkind comments about Hampshire, especially in the Hampshire forum, are uncalled for. (ah, I see @Muad_dib feels likewise).

Antioch College closed in 2011 & reopened in 2014. Currently Antioch College has only about twenty (20) full time students & about 21 part time students.

Antioch claims a retention rate of just 59% .

A college with just 20 full time students which loses over 40% of its students each year is hardly “a Phoenix which rose from the ashes”.

I am sorry if I offended anyone as that was & is not my intention. Nevertheless, the reality is clear & seems quite clear to those charged with running Hampshire College.

@jym626: The reason that there may be somewhat repetitive comments is because this thread is a combination of two prior threads.

Did not know these were merged threads. Regardless, no need to kick a dog when it is down, IMO. And Antioch’s Ohio campus closed and was able to reopen - hence was phoenix rising from the ashes. Sorry to see it struggle too.

I have a feeling that the intent of Hampshire’s warning to students now is that IF they find a merger or a sponsor, that group/ entity might demand a significant change in educational approach. The students who choose to still apply and attend would be fully warned, in that case, that change is afoot.

In other words, once word is out, and Hampshire accepts an incoming class, and that class accepts Hampshire, all are fully informed and Hampshire can proceed with clear conscience. They seem to have enough operating funds to proceed this year.

Maybe someone else has made this point already?

@Dustyfeathers: Excellent point. Although not stated as clearly as in your above post, I think that possibility is understood by many.

There is no doubt that changes will have to be made in order for this school to survive as the current model clearly failed at least with respect to financials.( This situation is much more like Sears than like Arthur Anderson from a business standpoint. Antioch College remains the most similar situation, however.)

I do think that a partner will be found, but I wonder how much value will be attributed to the name “Hampshire College”.

If the mission & methods undergo drastic change, then I suspect that the name will go as well.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:

Actually, it was 3.

Arthur AndersEN. (Says the former employee :slight_smile: ). I’m not sure why there is so much vitriol toward Hampshire, and glee about their troubles. Their model is not like other colleges. But for some students, it is a model that speaks to them. I can see how a smart kid who isn’t a fan of punching tickets just to say you did (and a fair amount of getting a college degree from most collleges involves that) and with a healthy dose of intellectual curiousity might thrive there.

I think it has little in common with Sears. And I have no idea why Andersen has any relevance whatsoever. I don’t Hampshire as antiquated (which I do think of when I think of Sears), but more having as a very alternative approach that may be just too far out of the mainstream given the current economic model for small ECs. But they certainly aren’t the first or last small college with financial difficulties.

“I can see how a smart kid who isn’t a fan of punching tickets just to say you did (and a fair amount of getting a college degree from most collleges involves that) and with a healthy dose of intellectual curiousity might thrive there.” Well said @intparent. I have known Hampshire grads who fit that description perfectly and have been very successful professionally in their chosen fields.

Difficulties could be a combination of things:

1. Being in a curricular niche market, and seeing interest in that curricular niche market stagnant or declining as pre-professional pressures become stronger in motivations for college education (whether or not the student and parent beliefs with respect to the value of Hampshire's curriculum are correct).
  2. General financial struggles for small private colleges that are neither highly endowed nor able to attract enough full or almost-full pay students to keep the finances in good order.

@Publisher https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/hampshire-college/academic-life/graduation-and-retention/chart-graduation-rate-first-full.html

This has retention rate for Hampshire vs national rate.