Hampshire “Seeking Partner”

Please don’t encourage that continued debate. It was already fact checked and debunked earlier in the thread.

Well yet another Massachusetts college in trouble after Mount Ida Colllege, Wheelock (merged with BostonU), Newbury and Atlantic Union (did not survive its restart)… seems like more on the way

know nothing about this college but sounds interesting and very unique, with alumni like Ken Burns and Barry Sonnenfeld, and Lupita Nyong’o academy award winner , you’d think they could have a fundraising campaign that would succeed

I wonder if, having been launched by the other 4 consortium colleges as “an experiment in alternative education”, there is now a way for the consortium to retain some of the unique features of and opportunities at Hampshire without its having to survive as a standalone institution. For example, it could offer semester-long residential and academic programs in sustainability, design, advocacy, social justice, etc. that MHC, Amherst, Smith and UMass students (and students from other campuses) could participate in. If those programs retained the distinctive educational approach that Hampshire was known for, and the faculty could be hired by other departments in the consortium, it could be a win-win. Perhaps not as a degree-granting institution, but as The Hampshire Center or The Hampshire Institute or something, as a shared Consortium resource.

Unfortunately that doesn’t help those of us with applicants for this Fall…

@Britmom5 Agreed. I realize the other colleges in the consortium are completely different from Hampshire, but if I were the admissions offices of the other 4, I would allow current Hampshires applicants to very easily (no $, no extra essays) add any of the other 4 schools to their Common App now and receive a conditional admission (i.e., you matriculate at Hampshire but the school closes, you can finish your degree here.)

I just read through some of the news coverage - sounds like the “honors college” model is being considered.

I don’t see Amherst as having any interest in that model. Maybe the others…

I’m not sure that Smith or Mt. H need “honros” colleges either. They’re both quite excellent. What I think should happen is that the four colleges that established Hampshire should pony up some endowment money. It’s been an underfunded school since its inception and it’s done well for 50 years. They could infuse a little more cash into that college perhaps.

I agree @Dustyfeathers, but I would be somewhat concerned that the other consortium members would want some input into Hampshire’s future strategy, curriculum, management, and/or operations, if they do indeed invest.

Hampshire alums need to also step up and increase financial contributions, both in the percent of alums giving, as well as average dollars donated per alum.

I would imagine that much the way Florida absorbed New College as its honors college, perhaps MA might do the same for Hampshire. Hampshire and New college have a lot of similarities.

This is pretty much what the partner they seek would do as well, I’m guessing.

That’s an intriguing idea. UMass becomes the partner, then.

A close family member went to Antioch and was one of the alumni who stepped up to bring it back after it closed. I think Hampshire alumni would need to be involved here as well.

Don’t recall if New College alum stepped up when FL took it over as their honors college . Would certainly be great if alum step up in Hampshire’s case, especially if MA doesn’t absorb it.

Agreed, but many of the consortium members currently have pretty disparate student bodies, curriculums and strategies as compared to Hampshire’s. Finding a partner closer in terms of curriculum and strategy seems like it would be preferred, yet seemingly Hampshire is unable to make things work with those constraints. It will be difficult for any partner to change the perception of Hampshire, and if they are successful, it will take years.

The MA honors college is an intriguing idea, main difference is that Hampshire is private (New College was always public (I think)), not sure how that could make a difference, or not.

Doesn’t McKinsey & Co. have a practice group who focuses on education ? Maybe this management consulting firm can help design a solution.

There are multiple well known consulting companies that have educational divisions. My D1 works for one. I asked what she thought the day this news came out — she thought UMass was the likeliest partner. I’m not sure who would pay the McKinsey bill — they are big $$$.

I sure hope the trustees have engaged a group to sort thru strategic options.

Another option may be to change it into a two year college, something along the lines of a Deep Springs model, where the grads transfer to elite schools. Could be a great situation for the right young adults, and clearly lots of options for transfers both within and outside the consortium

@Mwfan1921 UMass did already take on/in Mount Ida college which was private - https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/article/mount-ida-campus-umass-amherst-opens The difference in students and programs between Mt Ida and Hampshire is pretty big (Ida was vet techs and dental hygienists, fashion design and similar sort of vocational things) , but then again Hampshire kids have been taking classes at UMass forever, and vice versa.

New College of Florida was founded as a private college, became part of the public system in the 60s. And it is similar in age to Hampshire, as well as in many other ways - https://www.ncf.edu/about/history/

UMass used to have an experimental program. Hampshire was borne out of the same spirit – similar era. UMass might see that as beneficial. What will probably happen though is that UMAss will take over Hampshire campus and just use if for its own purposes. The students will get sucked into UMass and allowed to graduate through those programs.

You heard it here first, folks! Watch if this isn’t already in the works!

The more I think of it, the more I believe that Hampshire–

1. already has a partner;
  2. the partner is UMass who wants to take over the land and buildings;
  3. UMass wants to trash the Hampshire programs;
  4. Hampshire is giving its accepted students the Heads Up so that it feels like it’s been repsonsible;
  5. in about a month the merger/ sale to UMass will be announced.

Hampshire will disappear and UMass will have 800 acres more land and buildings to expand.

@Dustyfeathers UMass wants to have its own medical school. They proposed building one in Springfield but the state shot it down due to the cost. Hampshire would provide the land and buildings and endowment for the initial medical campus.