Some Big Changes at Hampshire

<p>President Jonathan Lash just sent out a letter to families and alumni, spelling out some of the big changes taking place this year at Hampshire.</p>

<p>They are reconfiguring the central part of the campus, removing an access road and parking areas in order to create more green space. In addition, they have started construction on the first new building they have constructed in many years. The 'Campus Portal' (<a href="http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_dx640czh"&gt;http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_dx640czh&lt;/a&gt;) will house Admissions, a café, the Bookstore and classrooms, and will be located on the site of the former access road (<a href="http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_ir3rh7g7"&gt;http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_ir3rh7g7&lt;/a&gt;).&lt;/p>

<p>I know that they've been talking about this for some time. Admissions is currently located in a little house on the edge of the campus. Visitors couldn't even see most of the campus from that location. The bookstore is currently located in the basement of the library and is kind of small and cramped. Moreover, this will free up space in the library for a learning commons.</p>

<p>When President Lash showed up, he talked about making sustainability more of a priority at Hampshire, and this appears to be part of that initiative. The Campus Portal will be constructed to the most stringent sustainability building standards in order to achieve Living Building Certification (<a href="http://living-future.org/node/91/#living"&gt;http://living-future.org/node/91/#living&lt;/a&gt;)&lt;/p>

<p>The letter also gives more details about the reasoning behind no longer accepting SAT scores for admission:</p>

<p>"...we interviewed students who are flourishing in order to figure out what qualities help them get the most from our curriculum. Using what we learned, we're now orienting our admission program to bring to Hampshire those students who are the right fit for our unique approach. This means that as we make admissions even more selective, class sizes will be smaller...</p>

<p>...Hamsphire will be the only college in the nation that doesn't accept SAT scores on its application. Instead, our admissions criteria will emphasize the story told by the high school transcript (looking for rigor, breadth, trajectory, and achievement), expanded essay questions, signs of self-motivation and initiative, and purposeful engagement in the community."</p>

<p>This all sounds pretty good to me. I'll be interested in how the student body changes in response to admission criteria changes. And, I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements in the campus appearance and sustainability efforts.</p>

<p>This sounds pretty good to me too. We visited Hampshire last month. When we pulled up at the admissions office, my son said, I think I liked WPI campus better. (Which to be fair is a beautiful campus.) He liked it much better after we took the tour, which was in depth and he loved the single rooms. We both thought the educational approach was fascinating. Overall Hampshire seemed to be the UC-Santa Cruz of the east.</p>

<p>The new building is barely a hole in the ground as of now. Scheduled to be finished in mid-2016 I believe.</p>

<p>We dropped son #1 off on Monday and WOW! The bus circle is gone - the whole road is gone and is a beautiful field of wildflowers. The whole campus looks spruced up. He’s in the Enfield mod this year and has a great group of mod-mates (all theater majors) and he’s steps away from EDH so he’s a happy fellow. I can’t <em>believe</em> this is his last year. Maybe I’ll move to Amherst and work at Hampshire…</p>

<p>Yeah, we dropped by campus earlier this Summer and liked the new paint job on the Enfield House mods (<a href=“http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_hakjhx1t”>http://www.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_hakjhx1t&lt;/a&gt;). </p>

<p>Our daughter will be visiting with Theatre-concentrated students later this Fall, as part of a program for alumnae to talk to students about working in their chosen field after graduation. So maybe your son will see her then.</p>

<p>One of his mod-mates was happy they’re in a green-colored mod which for some reason i thought funny.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure my son knows your daughter so I imagine he’ll take part in that. I’m always amazed how small the world is.</p>

<p>My D1, at MHC, is frustrated by the construction because it adds 5 minutes to her Amherst PVT commute–as the kids say, “first world problems”…</p>

Hampshire College has initiated a new Strategic Plan that they expect will re-invigorate their role as a leader in promoting educational change. President Jonathan Lash and his representatives appear to be fanning out across the country to inform students, families, alumni and supporters of the plan. I will be attending the Seattle event in late March.

Educating For Change and Changing Education:
Seven Major Initiatives to Support Innovation, Rigor, and Student Success

The mission of Hampshire College is to foster a lifelong passion for learning, inquiry, and ethical citizenship that inspires students to contribute to knowledge, justice, and positive change in the world and, by doing so, to transform higher education.

The following initiatives are the result of an intensive strategic planning process, and position Hampshire to build on the power of a radically different approach to education, preparing students to thrive, contribute, and lead in a rapidly changing world.

1. A Mission-Driven Admissions Strategy

We have radically shifted our admissions strategy to find, recruit, and support students who will thrive at Hampshire College.

Key Projects

Emphasize the unique qualities that enable students to thrive at Hampshire.
End use of SATs/ACT.
Shift financial aid to meet a greater percentage of demonstrated need and support underserved communities.
Expand the HAAP Alumni Volunteer Program to enhance recruitment.
Communicate Hampshire’s unique approach and the remarkable results of its alums
  1. Academic Innovation and Rigor

Hampshire succeeds when we both challenge and enable our students to inquire and analyze creatively and build on their experience.

Key Projects

Strengthen support for faculty and student innovation, collaboration, and communication.
Improve academic facilities and technology infrastructure to foster experimentation.
Enhance resources for scientific research and teaching.
  1. Knowledge and Wellness — Educating the Whole Person

We will renew and build on the vision reflected in Hampshire’s founding design of a deep connection between experience, intellect, and well-being — mind and body.

Key Projects

Create a Knowledge and Wellness Commons by transforming the physical spaces in the Harold F. Johnson Library and the Robert Crown Center to centralize academic support, collaboration and maker spaces, and movement and exercise facilities.
Continue our dining services transition to emphasize healthy, locally produced food on campus.
Build a centrally located Health and Wellness Center.
  1. Revitalize Campus Life and Create a Living Laboratory with Innovative Facilities

Hampshire has the opportunity to create physical spaces that encourage community, support learning, embody our values, and serve as a laboratory for exploring solutions to problems of sustainability.

Key Projects

Complete construction of the R.W. Kern Center, which will meet the Living Building Challenge, with its innovative sustainable operating systems visible as a teaching tool.
Replace the Greenwich Mods with buildings that showcase various approaches to sustainable building, living, and learning.
  1. Deepen Our Commitment to Diversity

Diversity is at the heart of Hampshire’s commitment to social justice and respectful discourse, and the College seeks to be a visible leader in active antiracism practices.

Key Projects

Develop action plans for every part of the College and more effectively retain diverse faculty, staff, and students.
Increase need-based financial aid to support a diverse student body.
Establish an emergency fund for high-need students experiencing an unexpected crisis.
  1. Strengthen Opportunities for Experience and Activism

Along with inquiry and critical thinking, experience and activism have always been key components of Hampshire’s practice and pedagogy.

Key Projects

Expand innovative programming in sustainability, creativity, entrepreneurship, and ethical leadership.
Utilize alumni network to expand internship and out-of-classroom learning opportunities for students.
Communicate about who we are and what we care about.
  1. Market and Tell the Hampshire Story

A clear and focused marketing strategy is essential for the success of the College.

Key Projects

Showcase Hampshire's unique educational model, innovative teaching, and research with a comprehensive marketing plan.
Create a lecture series to explore topics relevant to Hampshire’s values and approach.
Broaden our social media presence and rebuild the Hampshire website.

Replacing the funky and musty Greenwich mod ‘Donuts’ (http://collegeconfidential.com/vibe/hampshire-college/?entry=image_0_dggpuq2c) would be a major improvement to the campus. I wonder what the timetable is on that.

The strategic plan sounds awesome -

My son lived in one of the donuts last year - he’s in Enfield this year. Such a huge step up. I’m SO impressed with president Lash and the direction he’s leading Hampshire.

We just came home from an evening with Hampshire alumni, friends and family, and Jonathan Lash and some Admissions staff. The meeting took place at Seattle’s lovely Cafe Flora (www.cafeflora.com), owned by a Hampshire alum. Jonathan told some great stories about the accomplishments of recent grads, as evidence that Hampshire produced entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary leaders. He also cited some stats regarding the high percentage of grads who go on earn the highest academic degrees in their fields of study.

Jonathan then described the new strategic plan (see post #6 above). He talked about how the faculty were asked to submit the names of some of their most ‘thriving’ grads, and then these alumni were interviewed to determine the qualities that make for thriving (as opposed to merely successful) Hampshire students. This led to a change in admissions policies that included dropping standardized tests, and requiring much more writing and analysis from applicants. They also decreased the number of admitted students, no longer admitting ‘marginal’ students who have not thrived and contributed to comparatively low retention rates and a decrease in community amongst the entire student body. Lash admitted that accepting fewer students hurt the bottom line, but they feel that they are making up for it with renewed and increasing fundraising (annual giving has tripled from $5M to $15M in the last 4 years).

He also talked about eliminating the ‘culture of poverty’ that caused students and employees to never stretch themselves toward bigger goals because they felt that the resources would not be available to achieve those goals. And, he talked about doing a much better job of getting the word out about Hampshire and how great it is.

Jonathan stressed the commitment toward creating a ‘living laboratory’ for innovation by building greener and higher-tech buildings, such as the Kern Center. Faculty are developing at least 4 new courses centered around the processes and concepts involved in building and operating this building. He also talked about new architecturally innovative spaces that would go up, “when The Donuts fall down”. Finally, Lash talked about how Hampshire was on its way to producing all of its own power via several nearby fields of solar cells.

Lash also talked about educating the whole person, including mind and body, starting with an entirely new approach to healthy and sustainable food. He mentioned how the original intent of building the Johnson Library next to the Crown Center was to link together the education of the mind and body, but in practice it never worked out very well. The goal is to renew that original vision.

Jonathan was very proud of the new Mission Statement (see #6 post above), which was the product of collaboration with the entire Hampshire community, and is short, direct and to the point, unlike Hampshire’s many past attempts to formulate a meaningful mission statement.

An interesting Q & A session followed the talk, including members of the audience questioning whether Hampshire’s new admissions policies would foster too much elitism and decrease overall student diversity. Lash pointed out that the most recent class is the most diverse ever, and that dropping standardized tests yielded greater diversity and less elitism. Jonathan was also asked if the Division system was changing at all, and he noted that there was an effort to reduce the amount of administrative red tape around forming committees and completing milestones. In particular, he noted that rather than students casting about to find a Div II committee, students submit their overall preferences to an online system that matches their preferences to those of the faculty, in a similar manner to the way medical student internships are processed.

All in all, a very interesting session!

ALF, thank you so much for sharing this great information with us!

Echoing - thanks for posting! I’ve been so impressed with President Lash and his vision. He became president of Hampshire the same year my son started so I feel like they’ve grown up together. I can’t believe my son graduates in 6 weeks - it doesn’t seem possible.

Looking forward to admitted student day in less than 2 weeks. Spring has come to New England. Hampshire remains one of my son’s top choices. I am still quite concerned about the writing-intensive curriculum. Not about the merits of it, but about how it would work with my son. He can write for many pages explaining scenes and themes in his honors film class journal…but 3 or 4 pages of expository prose on something he views as esoteric or not too interesting is - I’m not exaggerating - existentially difficult.

We shared your concern about both our children, who graduated from Hampshire in '09 and '13. Our son (F06) was a good high school writer when he concentrated, but most of his work was cursory and slap-dash. Our daughter (F09) was a mediocre high school writer who struggled to complete a 3-page composition. I am pleased to report that both of our kids dramatically rose to the challenge and became far more accomplished and analytical writers. Both wrote impressive and lengthy Div III papers, and our daughter is an aspiring playwright who also writes content for Playbill as part of her job working in an NYC theatre.

I recently overheard a discussion our daughter had with our son, who is starting grad school (tomorrow!). He talked about attending an orientation with his future classmates, where a professor warned them that there would be an expectation of writing 5-page summaries each week, and how some of the attendees audibly sucked in their breaths in response. Our kids laughed over how, after Hampshire, such an expectation sounded like child’s-play to them.

Thanks Alf…I see that accepted students day offers several chances to sit in on classes so we will do at least one of those. I am so torn. We both liked Hampshire very much when we visited in the summer and love the idea of Hampshire’s narrative evaluations and academic freedom. On the other hand, my son is liberal minded but completely uninterested in gender politics and social activism. He’s on ‘the spectrum’ and won’t stay up all night participating in intellectual arguments about race and class (sounds great to me but it is not him at all). He’s a mathematician and wants to do his own thing in his ivory tower. I feel like Hampshire would either be fantastic or a total disaster for someone like him.

P.S. What do the “F” and “S” mean when shown by the graduation year?

To be sure, there are a bunch of activist-minded students who are deeply involved in gender politics and other subjects. Our son was very much one of those students. Our daughter was far far more apolitical and instead hung out with the rest of the ‘drama nerds’. I have absolutely no psychological training or experience, but it seemed to me that I saw a number of possibly ‘on the spectrum’ students that were heavily involved in computer gaming and LARPing. In addition to sitting in on some classes, your son should check out the dorms and mods to see what the social/student life situation seems to him.

‘F’ or ‘S’ refers to the incoming semester (Fall or Spring), and the year refers to the INCOMING year, as opposed to the graduating year. Hampshire goes out of its way to do things differently!

At the event described in post #10, my wife and I were given name tags with description, “P06, P09” after our names, indicating Parents of students who entered in '06 and '09. It was kind of fun to see folks approach us and look at our name tags and go, “whoa!”

Hi there - my son is one such drama nerd and while he’s liberal leaning, he could care less about politics. If anything, he might stay up late discussing a play or book he’s read with like-minded friends. My son is deaf, as I think I’ve shared with you, and also has ADHD. The disabilities coordinator at Hampshire is wonderful and has been such a great support for him. (I hesitate to call him the disabilities coordinator - but I do think he works with students on social and organizational issues - he’s a great guy. I’m a P11, by the way :slight_smile: I can’t believe my son graduates next month - wow. I agree with ALF if your son can do an overnight and check out the dorms and living spaces, that proved to be helpful for my son. He’s been one who’s taken full advantage of the Consortium which has been a HUGE plus for him. He’s taken classes at all but Smith.

I read the alumni mag and could not figure out the nomenclature - thanks! And thanks very much to you both for the helpful comments with regard to social and political life. I will report back after the 15th!

@Snowdog - My son won’t be going to the April 15 event, but will be doing an overnight on the 21st. I’d like to come back and compare notes. He’s doing an accepted students day and overnight at Brandeis just a couple of days before, so it should be easy for him to compare his top 2 side by side. Good luck!