Hampshire v. NYU Gallatin

<p>I'm obviously attracted to both schools because of their educational styles. I know Hampshire has an excellent grad school acceptance rate, and I assume NYU does as well because of its prestige. </p>

<p>As both schools meet my academic criterion, I'm having a dilemma. I love the idea of going to school in the Big Apple. That's probably the main thing that's conflicting me. How is Amherst as a college town? And what advantages might Hampshire have over Gallatin? Is it correct that they're probably academically equal?</p>

<p>Thank you :]</p>

<p>12 views + 0 replies… I KNOW YOU PEOPLE HAVE ANSWERS.</p>

<p>;D</p>

<p>Happy to post a reply, though I don’t have a lot of information. My nephew is a sophomore at NYU-Gallatin and loves it, but recognizes that the city is very expensive, rather exhausting and a distraction. Also, it is somewhat hard to feel a sense of community there – he has mentioned that he often meets someone interesting but then never sees them again. If you are very self-motivated, NYU offers amazing opportunities, but you definitely have to give up any semblance of “the college experience”. That’s my two cents worth…!</p>

<p>Amherst is a nice, relatively small college town. There is a good range of stores and restaurants that would make most college students happy. Northampton is a bigger town, just a short (and free for college students) bus ride away. A much wider range of restaurants and stores.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that Hampshire is a few miles from Amherst and Northampton. The campus itself is in a rural location, surrounded by hills, farms and housing developments.</p>

<p>Of course, nothing in the Pioneer Valley even compares to NYC. If you want an urban location with the attendant attractions and amenities, then NYU would be a better choice. Interestingly, my Hampshire daughter’s best friend goes to NYU and they have visited each others’ campuses - and agreed that they made the better choice for themselves. Our daughter could not imagine going to a college that in her mind doesn’t really have a campus. Her friend is sure that he would go stir crazy if he went to school at Hampshire.</p>

<p>I just wanted to weigh in here for future students because I also was trying to decide between NYU Gallatin and Hampshire. I ultimately chose Gallatin, but I now believe Hampshire would have been the better choice. Both are so unconventional to begin with you might as well get the “traditional college experience” of a campus community that Hampshire can provide. This city (and university) is not for the faint of heart. I will be trying to transfer to Hampshire.</p>

<p>I think it comes down to the kind of place you think you want to live. NYC and Hampshire/farm atmosphere are pretty far apart. Amherst and Northampton are fun/funky with a side of preppy/traditional New England (if that is what you want). We love the Pioneer Valley and had been going there for years before D started at Hampshire. But it is definitely NOT a big city, or even small city, environment.</p>

<p>As for prestige,if you live in NYC and environs then Hampshire has a pretty good rep. Other places people either 1) think you are going to school in New Hampshire or 2) it’s that hippy, alternative school where everyone does drugs. Even in the Pioneer Valley Hampshire can have an uneven reputation- inlaws who live in Northampton were kind of lukewarm about the general student populace before my D started there. But if prestige is important to you in general- I’d say go with NYU.</p>