Hampshire vs CU? HELP!

<p>Hi guys, so I live in Colorado and really want to go out of state for college. I applied to several ivies, all of which I have been rejected from and then Hampshire is the last of 7 colleges that I got into besides Boulder. Which would you guys recommend? Not sure which to choose. I really want a change of scene, but I only applied to Hampshire because it had the open curriculum like brown (my dream school from which i was rejected). CU is a good school, but I'm afraid it's too big for me, as I am very shy. Any input would be great! Thank you!</p>

<p>CU Boulder is not a bad school. In fact it is considered a “public Ivy” so your username could still be relevant. While it may take a back seat to real Ivys in terms of prestige, it holds its own with many respectable colleges. As for Hampshire, its ACT range is only slightly above CU-Boulder’s (Hampshire: 25/ 29, to CU-B: 23/ 28). I don’t know much if anything about Hampshire as a whole. As for your social concerns, I can assure you, there’s always someone you can relate to in a large college. My older sister is a double science major with a Classics minor as well as very conservative and not a heavy partier (ie. not the average student at liberal leaning Boulder). Nevertheless, she has plenty of friends and is on the fast track to career in medicine. It seems to me (and I could be totally wrong here) but at larger universities, find your niche is easier. Again, just my two cents. I know it sounds like I’m championing CU (which I am) but know that it is coming from a senior trying to convince himself that Boulder is the place. If Hampshire seems right for you then maybe it is. Just don’t forget the option you have in your backyard.</p>

<p>My D is a first year student at Hampshire. What I know about it is that you need to want to be there- as it is a very different kind of school. Typically there are three types of students that go there:

1. very engaged students that are either curious about everything or just want to study what they are interested in and want to minimize work/classes in areas that are not of interest. The creation of your own concentration (major) works well for both. </p>

<p>2) students that want to skate by, taking the easiest road to graduation. A student can take the easy path, and do the minimum and still graduate. Takes a little more effort because of the projects/independent research students have to design and complete, but if you want to spend your final year designing a light show and putting on a rock concert, you can do that. </p>

<p>3) students who are there to party/imbibe various substances- often to excess. This last category can be found at most colleges. At Hampshire the substance and alcohol use is more open as that is the nature of most of the students. </p>

<p>Hampshire is truly the kind of campus where you can make of it anything you want. Most students are highly vocal and there is a definite liberal/PC bent. Definitely an artsy vibe too. My D is in the school of natural science, which is the unloved stepchild of the school- receiving little supplementary funding. But she loves her professors and classes and would never dream of going anyplace else. Hampshire is not for everyone. Visiting would be a good idea.</p>

<p>Thanks!!! I’m definitely a type 1 student, but the school seems really small. Visiting unfortunately isn’t an option for me, as we are losing our house and funds are tight. Cu on the other hand, seems way too big, and living in colorado, I have had the chance to visit. Thanks for your info!!!</p>

<p>Cool thank you very much! Lol btw my username…my dog’s name is Ivy hahaha just a conincidence. :smiley: I appreciate your input and definitely agree with you! :)</p>

<p>Hampshire is really small (1600 students) but the average Hampster takes 5 classes on other campuses in the consortium. (There is no limit for Hampshire studnets who can take all their classes elsewhere after the first year if so inclined.) So there is a lot of crosspollination. You have to rather self directed at Hampshire- getting together an advising committee for your second through fourth years. It can be great because you really get to know your professors. </p>

<p>I dunno what to tell you. It is a very different kind of place- great fun and full of eccentrics. My D is very much an introvert and feels comfortable there as much of it is live and let live/accepting of others (except of course if you are conservative- then you might feel uncomfortable as there is an underlying expectation that most are liberal there).</p>

<p>However, honestly if CU is good for you financially and with the difficult circumstances in your family, you might want to stay closer to your family to avoid transportation costs.</p>

<p>I am definitely learning toward hampshire now. thanks so much for the advice it helped a lot! i know they have a kind of “design your own curriculum” type system, and that’s really what i want.</p>

<p>There is also a downside of Hampshire’s design your own curriculum. Because of it, if you end up having to transfer to another school (for whatever reason) your credits do not necessarily fit the new school’s requirements for their majors. Definitely something to keep in the back of your mind.</p>

<p>oh wow ok thanks for that!!! definitely a valuable piece of info, because i’m going to have to trasfer for my phD. Hmmmm</p>

<p>Well, most students go to a different school for their Ph.d. What I was referring to was if Hampshire did not work out undergrad, those classes would not necessarily fulfill undergraduate requirements for a degree at another school. Hampshire has a good track record for getting into grad school- areas like history and also neuroscience I think.</p>