Hampshire vs UMass

DS has been accepted to both Hampshire and UMass. I had been hoping that he would get a significant merit award from Hampshire so that it wouldn’t be such a premium over UMass, but no such luck – for four years, the cost difference will be $75,000. We do plan to appeal, but don’t expect it to make a huge difference.

My question is, is Hampshire worth the extra $75k?

DS is torn; on the one hand, he thought it could be OK to just have “just a little bit of Hampshire in his life” – by going to UMass and taking a few classes at Hampshire. After all, Hampshire has a pretty activist, ultra-liberal vibe and he’s not sure that’s 100% for him. But in the same breath, he said that “you can get an English degree anywhere – going to Hampshire would have been something special.”

We’ve done campus tours at both schools, and we recently went up to UMass to sit in on a few classes; we were favorably impressed at the quality of the professors and the engagement of the students. We plan to do the same at Hampshire soon to get an apples-to-apples comparison.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Both of our kids went to Hampshire at a significantly higher cost than most other choices. In our case, we in Washington have one of the few public Hampshire-style ‘New College’ options, in The Evergreen State College (TESC), which would have been a viable alternative. Plenty of our friends have called into question our family’s college choices, and I too sometimes wonder how things would have been different if our son or daughter had gone elsewhere. Of course, particularly in hindsight, this exercise is not necessarily worthwhile, as we will never be able to really know.

Our son was a rather self-directed free-spirited individual before he arrived at Hampshire, and those qualities were certainly well-amplified there. I imagine that if he had gone to TESC or another school, he might have emerged in a similar place, although probably not as activist-minded. I do know that he was somewhat of a ‘slacker’ in high school, but he learned how to be motivated to work hard, plow through dense and complex readings, and write thoughtfully. He was certainly well-prepared to enter grad school where he told us stories of students with B.A. degrees from public universities whining about the unfair reading and writing assignment demanded by their out-of-control professors. For him though, it felt typical of any semester at Hampshire.

Our daughter was more buttoned-down and conventional, and was perhaps less of an obvious choice to attend Hampshire. However, she flourished there beyond our wildest dreams, emerging far better-prepared to enter her desired field (Theatre Education), compared to her contemporaries from other colleges. She graduated three years ago, but colleagues and employers remain deeply impressed by the depth and breadth of her experience coming out of college. In her case, it would be hard to imagine that she could have become as accomplished elsewhere.

UMass is a great university; both of our kids took a few classes there and were generally happy with their experiences. Particularly if a student is in-state, the tuition difference, as noted about, is quite significant. Hampshire is obviously monumentally different from UMass in a whole host of ways. In the end, both will get you a Bachelor’s degree, but the overall experience is going to be enormously divergent. Is the Hampshire experience better? I would personally say definitely yes. Is the Hampshire experience so much better that it is worth twice the price? For some kids, I would say definitely yes, but for other kids, I would have to wonder.

It makes some sense to consider matriculating at UMass and attending some classes at Hampshire. I don’t know if things have changed much in the 10 years since our son entered Hampshire, but the 5-College transfer enrollment process could be quite cumbersome back then. When you and your son visit Hampshire, I would ask about how hard it is to actually enroll in Hampshire classes as a UMass student. My sense is that the presence of a UMass student in a Hampshire class was a rarity.

@brownie9 it really depends on your child and your family circumstances. If your son is a “bloom wherever planted” type of person, +$75,000 may not be at all necessary. My son is emphatically the opposite - “fit” was the #1 most important criterion in whether he would be successful in going away to college. He’s not a social activist (although he is politically liberal) but notices that many other students are. The fact that Hampshire has relatively few distribution requirements was important, along with the self-directed major (called concentration). He had enough of people telling him what classes he had to take in high school. He likes to go his own way, but he’s working very hard. We are all happy with his choice; for me, it is worth the extra money - in our case a huge monetary difference vs. his in-state backup.

Definitely attend accepted student days at both.

You’ve toured both so I don’t have to tell you about the obvious differences. If money is not an issue, yes I think Hampshire is worth the extra $75 over four years. If its any hardship at all, then no. Is there a chance your son will be in the honors program at UMass? If so, that’s the route I’d go either way; it will give him a smaller community.

I love the 5 school consortium but have heard that its more difficult than advertised to take classes elsewhere, except maybe Amherst College which is so close by. I don’t know much about Hampshire but both of my nieces graduated early from UMassA, one in three years and one in 3.5 years, saving $$. They were both good students, but not top of the class, 2200 SAT students lol, so its doable for those who want to get in, get out, and get on with life. Both were highly recruited in their fields too, one by Raytheon in a financial position and the other with a medical company in event planning.

Please, I know international students qualify for grants at Hampshire but do we qualify for merit scholarships too? Thanks

@iocbobby10 presumably the answer is yes, but you should email the financial aid department and ask, they are very nice.

Hi @brownie9 I’m the mom of a recent Hampshire grad. UMass is so different from Hampshire, as you know. One thing I would encourage is to talk to the folks in financial aid, who are extremely nice and helpful. We did and were pleasantly surprised at their response. The nice thing is that wherever your son ends up, he can take classes at the other four colleges. @NEPatsGirl my son took classes at four of the five over his four years at Hampshire and found it pretty easy to take classes at the other colleges and he really benefitted from the experience. The only college he didn’t experience was Smith.

Regarding registering for 5-college classes. My daughter currently attends MHC, and reports zero difficulties with registering and obtaining spots at Hampshire (PE) , Amherst (classics and poli sci) and Umass (econ). She normally sends an intro email to the teacher ahead of time. I don’t know if that helps secure a spot, but it can’t hurt.