Has anyone had their child pay for school on their own?

Yours is a valid question.

How far is she willing to travel for college?

Is she a national merit finalist?

I’d start with University of New Mexico, University of Arizona, Arizona State University, University of Alabama. They offer guaranteed awards for her stats.

She is likely competitive for some competitive merit awards, but she needs to get going on some of these as some have early application deadlines in early November…and have extra essays.

You might find this thread helpful. Parent is looking for large merit awards and there are some good suggestions. Plus some posters you can flag for additional information.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/help-me-build-a-college-list-top-1-student/

4 Likes

Try threads like this long one - there are bound to be some ideas here. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/looking-for-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarship/

3 Likes

Keep in mind that for mental health counseling, she’s quite possibly going to get more “real world” experience at a state school because those draw more from all walks of life, not just top grades and/or money. Real world experience (outside of classes) can count for a lot - or at least it has for me working in an average public high school. I’ve seen a lot of life my own experience and education didn’t show me.

If she gets high grades in college, she should be able to get in for a Masters or PhD at a more “name” school for the field - if that’s even necessary (meaning name school - the higher level degree IS needed). I don’t really think it is though. There’s a big need in the field.

3 Likes

Just want to jump in regarding any assumptions folks may be making re: PSLF. Private loans are not eligible for PSLF. While Parent Plus loans are eligible for PSLF, the public service requirement is for the parent, because it is the parent’s loan (and the parent is the one legally required to repay, so if the family agreement is for the kid to repay & he doesn’t … the parent is on the hook). Here is the real kicker, though: Parent Plus loans are not eligible for any of the income-driven repayment plans, so they need to be repaid in the standard 10 years. So really, PSLF would not come into play if all the parent is repaying is a Parent Plus loan (if they had their own loans & consolidated, they could benefit that way).

I always counseled my students to make borrowing decisions independent of the PSLF program. The program could change or go away, the borrower might not get a qualifying job, the borrower might prefer a non-qualifying job, etc. It’s best to plan for a world without PSLF & have it be the icing on the cake if it ends up benefiting the student down the road.

12 Likes

THIS! If your child is a senior, many schools have 11/1 deadlines for merit scholarships and honors college. And as noted, extra essays that can be very school specific.

9 Likes

Is that $30,000 a year? You aren’t the only parent who finds these cost really unaffordable.

Would she be eligible for any scholarships at URI that might bring the cost to attend within a more reasonable amount for your family?

1 Like

Is that $120K over 4 years or per year?

Just curious. I have no right to pass judgement on anyone. So, I will just share a personal story. I stopped my kid from applying to a reach school with $80K price tag by being honest. You can be too, especially if she has full ride options.

4 Likes

The government doesn’t do co-signed loans, so a true co-signed loan wouldn’t be eligible for forgiveness.

1. Direct student loan = a loan to student only from fed govt
  2. Parent Plus loan = loan to the parent only (student is NOT responsible) from fed govt
  3. co-signed loan = a private loan to the student or parent with the other liable if the primary doesn’t pay; these would be through a private lender and not part of any government forgiveness program

The PLUS loan is to the parent. It can be forgiven under PSLF, but it is the PARENT’s job that has to qualify, not the child’s. BE CAREFUL. Is your job eligible for PSLF? Your spouse’s?

"Yes. Direct PLUS Loans are made to graduate or professional students and to parents of dependent undergraduate students. Like other Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans are eligible for PSLF. However, there are additional factors to consider if you are a parent who has taken out a PLUS loan.

First, your PSLF eligibility is based on your qualifying employment, not on the employment of the dependent student on whose behalf you borrowed.

Second, PLUS loans made to parents may not be repaid under any of the income-driven repayment plans—the repayment plans that are best for borrowers seeking PSLF. However, if you consolidate a PLUS loan that you took out on behalf of your child, you may then repay the new Direct Consolidation Loan under an income-driven repayment plan called the Income-Contingent Repayment Plan (ICR). You can’t repay under the Revised Pay As You Earn (REPAYE), Pay As You Earn (PAYE), or Income-Based Repayment (IBR) plans."

5 Likes

With a 4.0 she’d get a great scholarship and Honors College at UArizona.

It’s common for a family’s EFC to be too high but how much can you contribute? Basically, what’s ypur budget for her (irrespective of your EFC)?

If she’s NMSF she has more choices.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you, but that’s not how CC works. Typically, when you post a question, you get “attacked,” even long after you stopped posting to the thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

@kelsmom @twoinanddone if a student loan is forgiven…is there a tax liability on the amount remaining on that loan when the ten years have passed?

2 Likes

The old saying beggars can’t be choosers will likely apply here. If she doesn’t already understand, it’s no surprise that the less selective and “desirable” the college is, the more likely it is that the college will offer nice merit awards for good students. That doesn’t mean she can’t get a great education, but it does mean she will have to adjust her expectations.

It could also mean that she can go for competitive merit scholarships. She can research schools of interest. Often there are amazing scholarships that will require extra apps, supplemental essays, interviews, etc…

We are answering your valid question and we aren’t villainizing you. It seems clear that you may not be aware of the reality of paying for college today. There’s a lot of collective wisdom here from people who are very knowledgeable about this topic. Good luck.

5 Likes

She wants a relatively large campus in or near a city that’s safe. She’s looking at BU, Northeastern, Clemson, UNC…etc. I am in her field of study so I know the time and requirements needed :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I am aware…just looking for advice and wanted to speak to people in a similar boat.

Wish I had known that before posting and not having an option to retract my question or cancel responses is frustrating

Has she looked at U of South Carolina? They give good merit and will be more affordable than UNC. Alabama is another southern school with high merit.

If she wants to stay in the Boston area, don’t discount URI. BU and Northeastern are going to be frightfully expensive.

8 Likes

Just ignore the posts that you don’t like or want to answer. It can be frustrating at times.

2 Likes

She needs to look at less competitive options. Apart from Clemson, those schools are not handing out many scholarships these days. BU and Northeastern are notoriously stingy. If you mean UNC Chapel Hill, unless she is instate, getting a merit award will be tough to impossible. Scholarships are often for the tippy top cream of the crop student who is also applying to Harvard, etc… Maybe that is your daughter.

That’s why people have suggested Arizona and Alabama. If she needs a Masters, might be best to get her undergrad degree as cheaply as possibly and save money for grad school.

3 Likes

Where my DD’19 wanted to go to school and where we/she could afford where two different sets. However, over the course of senior year she came around. She is very happy where she’s at and very happy to have no loans. Like I said above, she has contributed to the cost by paying rent and a chunk of tuition each time. And she’s going to be able to take a short term study abroad in May with money left over. With no loans, it will mean a lot less worry and a lot more freedom post graduation to do what she wants.

I wish you the best of luck, it can be a struggle to mesh needs, desires, and budget.

6 Likes

I second University of South Carolina. They have an honor’s college and I think some fairly decent merit aid.

2 Likes