Has anyone had their child pay for school on their own?

Somewhat similar boat… :grin: Due to my D’s interest in med school, we considered the need to fund 8 years of school and discussed in detail with her. She wanted to avoid loans for med school so adjusted her undergrad applications to in-state, less selective privates known to be generous with merit, and more selective schools with competitive merit (knowing she’d only attend if awarded).

We got many great suggestions from CC. With a bit more detail on your budget and what your D doesn’t like about the schools currently offering her full rides/tuition (the fact she has this option is amazing and a privileged position), I’m sure you’ll get valuable information. One thing my D had to accept was not falling in love with any particular school… she decided to love the school that wanted her enough to offer great merit. And she only applied to schools where she felt she could be happy.

Please ignore any negative comments and allow others to help. Good luck!

10 Likes

Please refer to #7 in the Terms of Service, which all users agree to when they sign up. https://www.collegeconfidential.com/terms-of-service/

Your question is helping other people. We are glad you posted it.

9 Likes

You shouldn’t totally retract/delete anything as that makes everyone curious and is confusing, but if you want to modify any of your posts to make them more clear you can do so by editing. If you hover over the pencil below the specific post it should say, “edit this post.” Click on it to do so.

For city schools she can try Pitt. Many high stats kids use it for their safety, and of those, many find they like it better than other options when they truly compare. That said, they have very few “high” awards, so it’s sort of a Hail Mary.

Of her free ride options, have her line them up in order of favorites. She might have to choose one for her best interest financially, so it’s good to ease into looking at the positives (which is what kids do when they pick a favorite - less bad is still better than all bad).

Then she can compare that school to others always working in the financial factor. Is X school better than Y school knowing I’d need whatever level of debt.

Students from my school who regret their college choices have two main reasons. High debt (high 5 figures) is the biggest. Choosing a school far below their capability is the second. She might be wise to take on “some” debt for a better experience, but not high debt.

Is she willing to head to some of the known “good for merit” schools like Miami University (OH) or U Arizona? Miami in FL could also be worth an app if the area appeals to her. I do know one student who was offered a full ride there (all merit), but like Pitt, it’s a Hail Mary. That student ended up choosing a full ride at Wake Forest and loved it - another to potentially check into.

She does need to put this into full time work right now. As previous posters have mentioned, many of the top scholarships need to be applied for early.

PS Is URI affordable if she commutes? I know a lad who went there and enjoyed it. She can spend a lot of time on campus if she chooses to making it seem like less commuting.

1 Like

I love this mentality. Should I go back to school I expect to use it - so making full confession ahead of time to the theft of word choice.

4 Likes

She should take a full-ride offer. Can she go back and accept any that she refused?

Psychology and mental health counseling (grad level) do not pay well. She really needs to avoid loans.

I would not count on loan forgiveness for public service and the loan forgiveness touted by politicians is not going to happen, in my opinion anyway.

3 Likes

We made our kids find one thing to love about every college on their list- even if it felt superficial (“the homemade ice-cream in the Ag school’s creamery was fantastic”). It is so easy to get caught up in the arms race-- if she’s got some affordable options on the table, it might be worth taking another look to see if any of them could be salvaged.

BU and Northeastern are not especially attractive campuses, so that opens up a lot of colleges which might be fantastic for your D but kind of ugly aesthetically.

1 Like

There was on some forgiveness programs, but I don’t think on PSLF.

Some recent changes have eliminated that on the long term forgiveness program. Not sure if it is a permanent change or just for the loans that have been forgiven recently (school closing, disabilities, some fraud).

Also, will there be any younger siblings in college the same time she is? FAFSA-schools will be eliminating the financial advantage for two siblings in college at the same time, but many think that the CSS-Profile schools will maintain that advantage – although you should call the colleges of interest to confirm, if that is part of any planning.

1 Like

My daughter chased merit but ended up at Clemson. She did get about $8000 in merit and was the only school to offer any FA which brought it down below $40,000 (she has 2 siblings in college right now). She could’ve gone elsewhere for less (BING was $28500 with merit, Saint Joe’s in Philly was $20,000), in state Rutgers $35,000, but Clemson was her dream school (within reason, she wants actuarial science which is pretty employable and has no plans to go to graduate school). She had a 3.9 33 ACT and Clemson accepted 6 of her AP’s which will hopefully save a semester.

To answer your original question, YES, I do have one who is essentially paying for college on his own (although we have at times paid him back for successfully completed community college semesters, and we will pay off his minimal amount of subsidized student loans for him if/when he is graduated). The child in question is very bright, understands the need for a bachelor’s degree, but has a very hard time making himself do the school work. He works full time, lives independently, has worked his way through a community college degree and now is working his way through a bachelor’s degree at his flagship state U, mostly 2 classes a semester, year round, so mostly 6 classes a year. I’d say that the tuition for his 2 yr degree was a total of about 10K. His job probably reimbursed him about 5K, and we usually paid him back his portion after each semester, which he used towards his tuition for the next semester. The tuition for the flagship state U is much higher, probably $4500/semester for 2 classes. He’s paying it through small subsidized fed loan, and earnings. We could have afforded to send him to any school full time, fully-subsidized by us, although it would have been a financial stretch for us, but we knew he would have flunked out. What we’ve seen is that even when he is paying for it with his own earnings or his own borrowed funds, he often just won’t do the work, barely scrapes by with the lowest grades possible.

Another child, we paid for public college. We were not willing to pay for private college for that one, who had a very uneven record. As it turned out, the best academic fit happened to be a neighboring flagship state U which gave child the maximum OOS merit, bringing it down to about 5K/semester higher than our in-state flagship.

Third kid works incredibly hard, very reliable. That one is getting tippy-top private college fully paid for by us. It hurts, but kid deserved it.

Assuming that we had the money, I would have never told my kid, “You’re on your own.” It’s very, very difficult for a kid to even manage 2 yrs community college plus 2 yrs state U, on their own while living at home. The absolute cheapest route to a degree is getting as much dual credit/AP credit in high school (theoretically possible to get as much as 2 yrs worth), plus if necessary as few semesters in community college to finish associate’s and qualify for transfer to state’s public college, then finish there in four more semesters. If possible, do it while living at home, and working part time. Even with that cheapest route, it’s unlikely for a kid to be able to do it on their own while borrowing the max the feds will lend them and working a part time job.

In your child’s situation, where your EFC is 30K/yr, I assume, it sounds as if she’s applying to private schools which you/she are not going to want to pay for. She really should be looking at the places where her stats can get her a full ride, or at least a full tuition scholarship. You need to be very honest with her and tell her this, so that she plans accordingly. I was very straightforward with the kids about what I would and wouldn’t pay for, and college applications were made accordingly. You should not feel bad about not being willing to pay 120K total or more for her degree! It’s wonderful that she’s a high achieving student, and can win full rides to excellent institutions. She needs to take advantage of that.

1 Like

Remember CLEP exams too. They serve a similar purpose to APs, except anyone can take them and they often replace gen ed classes. I think the fee is cheaper than an AP too. Many public U’s accept CLEP credits, but I think hardly any privates U’s do. CLEP Benefits for Everyone – CLEP | College Board

3 Likes

Because of a divorce situation, etc., our EFC always looked high but the actual available funds were more limited with the older kids than with the younger. Here’s how we approached it.

All of our kids have earned some merit aid — and that does pay for college, so in that sense, yes, we’ve had them pay. In addition, we expected them all to have summer jobs and use that money to cover some living expenses.

Finally, we expected them to cover their own grad school costs through loans and earnings. (Despite that “expectation,” we ended up with some unused college funds available to help with grad school for the younger kids.)

What we did not do is expect them (or us) to take out loans for undergrad. After seeing too many friends with an albatross of debt after grad school that no public interest forgiveness program could ever make right, we decided it was better to avoid undergrad debt at all costs.

But that doesn’t mean footing the bill no matter the amount, either. Our kids knew we were contemplating in-state tuition or enough merit aid from a private or out-of-state school to match that. (Again, with the younger kids it turned out there was a little more cushion/flexibility, but that’s not where we started.)

If in-state tuition plus room and board is too much for the family budget, and there are no schools that will offer merit aid to bring the cost below that, then our approach would be to look to schools she could commute to ( either 4-year or community college with a plan to transfer). That was the back-up safety plan for our older kids. It matched up with what we could comfortably pay and required their participation to cover their own car insurance, books, etc., and earn some merit aid, too.

2 Likes

Yes! And also ModernStates.org has free online prep for CLEP, and gives you a free voucher, so CLEP is a totally free way to get gen eds out of the way.

But the reality is, I would much rather have my child get the better education available at a highly selective school, than have them dash through it as quickly and cheaply as possible via the methods outlined above.

4 Likes

Sure, but if a student has to pay themselves, then it makes it a lot more affordable.

I read an article long ago about a student who earned tons of AP and CLEP credits. He earned his degree in 2.5 years and saved a ton of money, then went on to earn an MBA and is rolling in dough. Wish I could find that story again.

2 Likes

She will most likely need a masters degree for this. Is this part of the plan?

1 Like

Also to the OP. I put myself through college. Didn’t go to the college where I “wanted” to go to. But my end goal was medical school. Didn’t have any money and choices like kids do today. Sometimes we need to sacrifice to get to where we want to get to. I would seriously reevaluate the free colleges she got into per se. She’ll always be in debt with this degree and those loans. Not a great way to start your life. But it’s not her fault that there is no money for college if that’s the case. If you have a dollar amount your willing to contribute it would be much easier for recommendations. If she’s on her own then community College for 2 years while living at home then transfer to a 4 year college. This will minimize her loans.

3 Likes

How much can you afford to contribute per year?

Where has she received free tuition or free ride offers already?
(You want to avoid an academic mismatch, so check the top 25% threshold to see if she’d have a solid group of peers; and you also want to help her turn down a notch the prestige mindset.)

If she likes Northeastern, UCincinnati pioneered the co-op system, is urban (great architecture), has a solid honors program, and Cincinatus scholarship program covers full tuition.

If she likes BU, UMN Twin Cities is superurban/heart of metropolis, strong honors college, offers merit.
Miami Ohio has excellent merit and a “private school” feel, especially for its honors studbrts.

Usc columbia Honors is a great suggestion, too, but the application is extensive and due soon.

UArizona would require about 10k and UAlabama would require about 12k from you if she also takes the federal loans. Both are automatic.

4 Likes

That is assuming that the student can earn enough money in the high school graduate part-time job to pay for living expenses as well, or will continue living with parents at no or minimal charge (which is a form of parental subsidy).

The other alternative is to earn a full ride or close to full ride merit scholarship.

A problem is that full rides have become very rare or have near impossible conditions to keep them (like a 3.8 annual college gpa).
And as you point out, college tuition has grown at a pace completely unrelated to minimum wage.

2 Likes

The deal we have with our kids is that they have to stay in-state (GA), attend a state University and keep their grades in the zone where they earn and keep the HOPE scholarship. If they want to go Private or OOS, they have to find a way to pay the difference. Since we are in a demographic where scholarships are unlikely, they are considering ROTC or merit/talent scholarships. We are a military family, so ROTC is something they are willing and eager to pursue.

1 Like