Have you been ACCEPTED or REJECTED SOM School of Management Fall 2015?

@lostaccount, Maybe you would care to be specific about what you mean by “most dimensions”, when you compare Binghamton to your selection of flagships.

Can you both stop now? Haven’t you gotten a bit off topic??

Start a new thread!

I agree cbpmom, I am not sure Nisky1’s agenda but we have derailed this thread.I am sorry and will stop replying to Nisky1 and allow the thread to move back to where it was before it was derailed. Google history of SUNY if anyone is interested in more information about the system. I’ve tried to address the questions but there will be no satisfying Nisky1 short of saying Harvard bows at Binghamton’s doors.

Compared to Harpur, SOM is more selective. It is still early in the RD cycle. Most of the more competitive schools have yet to release their results. It would not be surprising to find that SOM has yet to release the majority of available slots.

have any deferred applicants received a decision yet?

None of the deferred students in my school yet!

My daughter was deferred Early Action in January but her status changed to Accepted this evening.

Deferred from SOM. Rejected today, but offered admission to Harpur.

Does anyone know if you can complete this 5 year program. . .

. . .in four years if you enter Binghamton with the maximum credits (from AP and dual enrollment) possible?

Hi jamesjunkers,

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance into the PwC Scholars program! The scholars program within the School of Management is an extremely selective program that prides itself on academic excellence and serving the university and surrounding community in all ways possible. I am currently a freshman PwC Scholar at Binghamton, so I may be able to help you with some of your questions. Regarding your previous question about the possibility of completing the MS in Accounting in 4 years rather than 5, it is highly possible to accomplish if you do come in with a significant number of AP credits. I believe that each year the initial number of applicants accepted into the program is somewhere around 40 to 50, but the number of students who actually enroll in the program is usually 25 to 30 (it always works out nicely, constituting the top 10% of the incoming freshman class). As far as the dinner in New York City goes, I would highly recommend going to the event, as you will meet the Dean of the school, a partner at PwC who is an alumnus of Binghamton, as well as several outstanding freshman scholars. If you have any other specific questions pertaining to the scholars program, please do not hesitate to direct them to me. Good luck with your decision!

Still deferred and waiting for decision. Guidance counselor called and was told if son wanted to change to Harpur school there would be a “slot” for him. Said not interested and still waiting for decision,

My son was deferred in January and is still awaiting a decision. His guidance counselor called and was told the SOM is the hardest school to get into and that they are waiting to hear back on numbers before they can offer admission. Whatever the decision, he will know by April 1. (He was offered a merit scholarship to another SUNY school, but we would like to see how this plays out.)

Accepted, early action, definitely going!

And people do actually believe the “public ivy” title for Bing whether it’s true or not so it doesn’t matter what you think. @lostaccount‌

People believe what they believe. Belief is not truth. The more accurate the information they are given the more likely it is that they will believe what is also accurate and true. Education is a good thing.

Accepted to SOM, Regular decision
SAT: 2060
GPA: 3.9

Did any transfers get accepted? And if so what are your stats?

Here’s the plain and simple. Binghamton SOM students are recruited by New York corporations and firms along with students from NYU, Columbia, and Cornell. How do I know? I talk with people who are execs in NYC who hire graduating business students. The school is seen unequivocally as the SUNY flagship. The large majority of business students are from New York and want to work in the city. The SOM is extremely competitive with SAT and GRE admission scores over 1390 and 97 average. The “Public Ivy” reference is from a famous book written about that subject (not by a Bing grad) that listed Binghamton as such. It was not about Bing PR. If you go to a top Ivy, often the professors are grad students. Not so at Binghamton. This is the case at many private universities. I taught as a grad student (for 2 years) at a private university and then went to teach as a professional for 8 more years. Binghamton SOM students report having a terrific experience there as do most of the students at Binghamton. I’ve talked with their students for years and rarely do I hear a bad word. The athletic programs are now doing quite well and have the highest GPAs of all the America East schools. Check out baseball, softball, track, soccer and others. There are true student/athletes there and most teams have 3 SOM openings that are filled quickly. I know your posts, Ninsky, are a year old, but the nonsense you posted needed to be addressed.

You will get just as good an education and recruiting at Suny Albany. Especially for accounting. Bing is an excellent school, however, the professors are nothing special. Again, check out the Accounting dept. Check out rate my professors. Yes, rate my professors. It may sound silly, but there are good and crappy professors at Binghamton, just like any other school.

Doc1955, In business, school does matter. You seem to imply that the state school is actually better than the Ivy ones. You are far better off going to an Ivy than going to a business school that is not in the top 100 according to most ratings. SUNY has no flagships and none are close to resembling Ivy League schools despite that old reference and despite PR depts of the NY state schools working hard to give the appearance of being something it is not- 'Premier" : not close. Medium to Large public institutions offering efficient degrees at a reasonable cost? Yes.

Off topic but just curious–does michigan, Wisconsin, Virginia, UNC(you get the picture) accept transfers that succeeded at community college freshman year but had abysmal grades and standardized tests in high school? I don’t get how these kids can fare well at SUNY Binghamton but admissions still seems to take them on. It pissed me off while I was there and it still pisses me off today. A kid at my daughters high school posted every school she got into on Facebook so we knew the level of academia she had achieved in high school. One year later, she’s going to SUNY b? Really? I took calculus At SUNY b, had to drop it because everyone had already taken it in high school and the teacher flew through the material. Took calculus at my local community college over the summer and it was so freaking easy, it did not compare at all to the class at SUNY b. I graduated top of my high school class and top of my Binghamton class and I couldn’t handle that class at SUNY b. Listen, I’m sure there are exceptions here but for the most part, I don’t see how all of a sudden these transfers are SUNY b material.