Have you been ACCEPTED or REJECTED SOM School of Management Fall 2015?

Lets begin a POLL…have you been Accepted or Rejected for SOM…School of Managment for FALL 2015? State whether you were Early Action, Regular Decision, Early Action but DEFERRED to regular consideration. Thanks and best of luck to all. Share your experiences as well.

applied reg…no word as of yet

Accepted, early action

Accepted, early action.

@mattyup @jamesjunkers mind sharing your numbers with us? thanks and congrats!!!

Shared it a while ago, but quick stats:
33 ACT (34 super)
740 Chem, 780 Math II SAT II’s
94.4 uw/98.4 w GPA
Decent essay, decent ECs, idk about recs

Originally EA deferred, found out D got in last night.

27 ACT (28 Super)
GPA - 3.9
Excellent essay, 4 yr Varsity sport, this year Captain, some work/volunteer
references I would assume are very good

@mommy9703 congrats!!! what were SAT scores if u dont mind sharing? and acceptance was for SOM? how did you find out? email, snail mail, status change in application/decision at BU Brain?

Thanks! Yes, she was accepted to SOM. We stumbled upon it last night on their website. The decision changed from deferred to regular decision to Decision Made …Decision: Accepted. Congratulations! Still nothing via email or snail mail, but we’ll take this for now. She didn’t take SAT’s only ACT’s.

son deferred SOM
SAT 1840 (740 Math which is apparently supposed to mean something in the SOM).
GPA weighted 98.7
lots of leadership EC and started his own music business…go figure…got into other states Business schools and UMASS with a chancellors scholarship but cant get into his own State School…yet…

For those of you accepted, are you going to attend or is it your safety?

@cbpmom I agree with your comment. Daughter got 2060 on SAT and into other OOS business schools with scholarships, including Chancellors at UMass for the Isenberg business school, Honors at Smith in Maryland prestgious business school, and yet cannot get into our own top state business school! There is something wrong here!! Binghamton SOM needs to seek more money from the State legislature to increase the number of spots --SOM has room for only about 300 incoming freshman, its bursting at the seams. This contributes to the brain drain from NYS to OOS flagship schools.

rgr717, NYS’s sUNY system can’t compete with OOS flagships on (almost) any dimension. If you’ve spent any time at all at Flagships in other states you’d see that none of the SUNYs are in the same category even if the rankings make them appear to be. At a 20-1 ratio of student to faculty, plans to increase enrollments and renovations that were planned for decades ago and when complete will bring the university up to at best, Binghamton and the other sUNYs are hopelessly behind.

@lostaccount‌ The OOS flagships have much higher endowments (are richer) than the SUNYs. This is evident in the newer facilities and overall resources. Its amazing how Binghamton was able to fund the brand new dorms that are like hotels. IMO that money should have been spent on hiring more professors, expanding or renovating SOM and investing in overall academic infrastructure instead of dorms. University of Buffalo has the largest endowment of any of the SUNYs, then Stony Brook and Binghanton are Albany are next. I dont understand how one of the richest states in the Country–New York, has the poorest higher education system! Part of the problem is that SUNY has no flagship where most of the money can be concentrated. It has 4 university Centers and a lot of smaller colleges. So money and resources cant all be concentrated into one flagship. Instead its somewhat diluted. Another factor is we have no big-time Division 1 sports program, SUNY is not in the Big East or Big Ten or ACC conference and doesnt bring in millions in revenue from ESPN or other national TV broadcasts or from ticket revenues from 80000 fans at football games.Rutgers was smart to join Big Ten conference, because it will become a richer University and the increased revenue will filter down to academics.

rgr717, yes what you say is true. About the dorms- Binghamton’s judgement has been piss poor for a good long time. Anything but academics right? Instead let’s put all our money into an arena and dorms. Let’s go Division one but let’s skip all the nonsense about building a genuine team. Instead, let’s jump right in with a winning team at any cost. Corruption top down. And yes about there being too many SUNYs. Something like 65 of them. They misinterpreted Hoover’s quote. It was “a car in every garage” not a “SUNY in every backyard”. Fancy dorms but needing to ferry students into the school from China to fill them. If you call the university now and are put on hold you get to hear a recording that says that the school is on the brink of being “the premier” university of Broome County. I don’t think so because BCC is quite good and there is also Bible College, as I recall. It’s come a long way from the days when it was probably a top choice for strong students. Given a choice, top NY students prefer the flagships of other states because they are simply better schools. Some may choose Binghamton for being cheaper and more efficient but I doubt many (or any) would say it is a better school than any of the flagships of other states.

The PR recording reminds me of KMART. I keep expecting to hear about the blue light sale on aisle 4. I think Binghamton’s PR department believes that if they click their heels 3 times and repeat “We are a public Ivy” “We are a public Ivy” “We are a public Ivy” …“we are a premier…” enough times people will believe it and not worry about the 20:1 student: faculty ratio, dated and poorly equipped campus, string of scandals and poor decisions.

ok, lostyourwhatever, you got your point across. your wisdom is humbling. now go poison another thread.

Sorry, I disagree @jimtoes. I am enjoying every minute of this reality check.

The fact is that SOM has a solid reputation, especially for Accounting and it haa an excellent career placement center and a lot of connections to the NYC market. And the wuality of students there is very strong. And its more affordable than any excellent OOS flagships that my daughter got accepted to. I am just disappointed my daughter was deferred despite an excellent academic, testing, and extracurricular activity record, strong reccomendations, etc… She should not have to wait until end of march or april to find out from Bing, yet has already been accepted to so may great OOS flagships that are too pricey to attend because we dont qualify for any need-based aid and the merit aid is just not enough to make it affordable as our own state school.

Back on topic: accepted RD :slight_smile:
Stats are nothing too over the top
SAT: 1860 (superscored)
ACT: 27
GPA: 93.3 (UW) 95.8 (W)
APs: APush, AP art, 2 full year college courses, 2 half year courses (honors classes mostly)
EC: softball for a year, I have a job, 8 week business internship
My school (fayetteville manlius) is also highly ranked.

I do not think binghamton truly holds ivy standards. A wide range of scholars get in and sometime there are outliers.
Definitely attending if rejected ftom my other schools. Woo!