Having a tough time thinking about transferring to another university. I really need some advice!

I will be a sophomore at UW Madison this fall and I was just offered transfer admission into GaTech. I’ve been accepted into Computer Engineering for both. Ignoring all other factors simply prestige, salary, and how easy it is to get a job (location, big company like Google), what do you think about the prospect of transferring? I am having a very very hard time. I’ve done tons of forum reading on reddit and CC but I am looking for any more answers I can get. Other factors do play a role but I’m only curious about how the schools compare and what reasons are there to transfer or not transfer. This being a UW Madison forum, I know who’s going to answer, but anything from alumni to current students who have experience with engineering can really help me out! Thanks :slight_smile:

WHY do you WANT to leave UW? Both do have top reputations so it would be a lateral, not a huge up/down change.

Consider the school cultures and geographic locations. Consider the relative costs. Think about why you ended up at UW in the first place. Make lists (easy way of thinking for STEM people). Pros and cons of the majors at each school as well as other factors. Courses required and available beyond the minimums. Overall university graduation requirements. Time to finish. Costs of travel, room and food. Look at where grads go after graduation, campus recruiting. btw- UW grads are very competitive with the big players (computer science grads, although not the same, can get the big name company jobs).

Atlanta, GA is very different than Madison. North/South states as well. Weather, city culture, student body demographics- which appeals most to you? Remember that your undergrad college years are far more than just the classroom academics. Hopefully you are taking more than STEM electives for enjoyment and enrichment- there is a much wider world than just one’s profession (eons ago woman chemistry major who became a physician, friends in the STEM world). Is the exposure to a campus with many more liberal arts instead of as great a tech emphasis better for giving you experiences? Life is so much more than just your major.

How about friends and acquaintances? Social ties versus being new to a campus. Ethnic, religious, political comfort? Types of foods available? Living conditions available?

Finally- there is no single best choice. Whatever you choose do it and do not look back. No hindsight/second guessing. You, not the school you attend, determines how much you learn and how well you do in life.

Wow! Thank you so much for this answer. It’s hard for me to throw away the notion of going to GaTech as it was my #1 a year ago, and now that I got in it’s hard to pass it up. I will follow your advice of picking one and not looking back and be grateful for what I already have at UW Madison (pretty great so far, I’d be a fool to throw it away). Thank you again for your answer, it really has made me open my eyes and stop being in my own little world and realize what is really important! :slight_smile:

Your answer is a little confusing, and seems as impulsive as your first post. Agree that @wis75 has raised an excellent list of questions to consider. You clearly must have decent analytical skills – I’d work through that list and carefully consider your choices. Without more info about what isn’t going well at UW, it is hard for anyone to give more advice.

Also, find out how much coursework you will need to get your desired degree at both Us. Some schools do NOT accept coursework done in your major at their Us after you transfer. Don’t guess, ask for an analysis as to exactly what work you have taken will transfer and what more you will need to take and map out your schedule for now through graduation at BOTH UW and GaTech.

Financially, how much difference will the Us cost? That can make a BIG difference as well. Most Us do NOT award much (if any) merit aid to transfers.

Did you apply to GT just because it was your dream when you were 16 or because something’s wrong at UW?
If you applied because of your 16-year old self, have you changed in any way since then?
If something 's wrong at UW, what exactly?
Both are equivalent in your major BTW .

I applied to GT because I had conditional acceptance which means since my brother went there, as long as I applied and did decently I was basically guaranteed admission, kinda like a legacy thing. I had to send in my application before I could evaluate how much I like Madison and for awhile after I applied I was set on staying at Madison and not going to GaTech after I spent more time in Madison. However, now that the acceptance letter came I got second thoughts and wanted to see if there was any big discrepancy between schools, which it doesn’t seem like there is, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I guess I just wanted reassurance that I’d be OK at Madison because I know myself and I often stress about things that don’t need thinking about. It’s a hard choice for sure but I’ve done some additional research/Googling and it doesn’t seem going to GaTech would vastly improve things, even more so since I’m doing very well at Madison. I’m sorry if I came across as confusing but the more I think, the more I realize I can be as successful as I want to be at Madison, going to GaTech isn’t going to magically get me hired by the big companies. So thank you all for your advice, it’s very helpful and while it still is hard to deny my acceptance to GaTech, I will be very happy in Madison :slight_smile:

Good choice. I think the atmosphere at UW is likely to continue to be good for you. Did not mention hearsay earlier but GA Tech may be more cut throat and staying where you know the ropes and will get at least as good a college education seems best. Remember, it is not just about landing a job, it is about getting a good education. Your education is so much more than just your major. Take advantage of all of the wonderful opportunities, in courses and outside the classroom, available to you. You will join a very extensive alumni group all over the country (and worldwide) once you have your UW degree.

“there is no single best choice”

I agree completely. Perhaps more precisely, there are two very good choices. I would expect you to do very well job-wise after graduating from either with a degree in computer engineering.

If you like UW Madison, then I agree that staying there is a great choice.