Help building a list of reaches [NC resident, 3.5?, 32, pre-med/dental]

But note that “fit” for many students and parents is mostly defined by rank and prestige.

1 Like

I’m in NC, too. UNC-G would definitely be a safety, but I would not consider UNC-C or Elon as safeties. I think they are targets/likelies. UNC-G is a safety/sure thing. State is a target/low reach. I prefer to err on the side of caution. Would he consider UNC-Asheville if he likes a smaller school? It should be a safety/likely. You might throw App State in there too.

What kind of vibe does he like? So far I’ve gotten smaller, and STEM and prestige.

3 Likes

OP- a kid who wants personal relationships with faculty will have them. This is independent of the size of the U, the size of classes, or anything size based. How do you think kids from ginormous U’s get into grad schools where recommendations are critical? They ask their favorite professors, that’s how.

One of my kids closest faculty relationships was with a professor who had never taught a course the kid took. But the kid got a job fact-checking a manuscript, which led to a job editing a paper, and by the time the year ended, they were having coffee and chatting and bouncing ideas off each other. This professor picked up the phone and got the kid a fellowship (complete with $ and travel stipend), this professor said “You need a job after graduation, just let me know how I can help”.

You can take a 14 student seminar and never make eye contact, never go to office hours, and never cultivate a relationship, or you can take a 300 person lecture class and be that kid who shows up for office hours to ask questions, volunteers to turn the professors notes into slides before the review session, and before you know it, voila.

7 Likes

@Durham1972
LECOM has agreements with many UGs. It does not have to be Juniata. They have a full list posted on their website. Some colleges may even be in NC (if distance from home is a criterion for you). Looks like your student meets the initial requirements to apply.

3 Likes

If your student is serious about premed, then going to brand name school may actually make him a disservice. Prestigious colleges tend to attract stronger student body. Wherever your student goes, he needs to be top of the class. If he can be top student at Duke - sure, go ahead. But if not, he is better off being stellar student at non-prestigious university.
In addition, medical/dental schools are expensive. So more economical option is usually better (which is usually NOT what you get at brand name schools).

4 Likes

Thank you, that makes sense!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.