Help! who gives Merit aid for someone like me?

<p>Please suggest some schools for me to apply. I am a Junior graduating June 2011.
I am unsure of a major, but leaning towards going to law school</p>

<p>I Have no idea and need suggestions for Safeties, Matches, Reaches</p>

<p>Currently in Rural Central VA - Open to any area of the US but will need much merit Aid to attend; parents make about 100k but are deep on debt because of a failed business, both of their 401k's tanked and they are close to retirement. So, they will only be able to contribute about $5000 per year.</p>

<p>GPA Unweighted: 4.00
GPA Weighted: 4.40
Class Rank: 2 of 272
Rigorousness: somewhat all honors/ap's
School: rural school in VA - 1-2 accepted to ivy's each year
Race: African American Female
Recommendation: 2-3 excellent recommendations
SAT: M(630) CR(650) WR(550) OVERALL: 1830</p>

<p>AP Tests: Biology(2), Chemistry(3), US History(3) so far</p>

<p>Current AP Courses: AP Spanish, Computer Science A, AP Calculus</p>

<p>Grade Trend: consistent - will maintain 4.0 probably, currently have all A+ in my course</p>

<p>EC: Volunteered at the FCA camp each summer, bunch of charities, math league,Spanish club </p>

<p>Varsity Field Hockey 3 years
Varsity Basketball 2 years , Captain 1 year
Varsity Soccer 2 years</p>

<p>JV Field Hocekey 1 years
JV Basketball 2 years
JV soccer 2 years</p>

<ul>
<li>will plan on retaking SAT to get my score up</li>
</ul>

<p>I dont want to sound mean or be off topic but I dont think it looks good when you have A’s and get 2s or 3s on the ap tests. Maybe you get nervous, Idk. Anyway, lots of schools have merit aid, but from your situation it seems more likely you’ll be needing financial aid. However, your grades and a higher SAT score should be enough for you to get a presidential scholarship at most colleges. Or you could take the ACT, which I did much better on.</p>

<p>You could get some good scholarships at state schools if you improved your SAT score. Since you’re a junior you have some time. Also, AP scores aren’t heavily weighted by colleges, there mostly used for course placement. Your class rank and GPA is really good.</p>

<p>You do not have to send your AP scores or you can always send them after you are accepted. </p>

<p>They are only used for possible placement and credit.</p>

<p>You don’t have to send AP scores, but some schools list AP/IB scores on the transcript.</p>

<p>First, I would second the recommendation that you take the ACT. It tends to go a little better for some people and I know I was much more comfortable taking it. Also I would make it a top goal to get at least two (if not all) 4s on the AP tests this spring – it will greatly increase your desirability. By the way, does your school allow sophomores to take AP classes? Second, haven’t you considered UVA? I might not necessarily call it a “safety” for you at this point, but with a 4.0 and being in-state I would definitely take a close look at it. Its top ranked, you’d get in-state tuition, and they’ve got a great Black community there (it was one of my top choices when I applied. If you can, try to go to their Fall Fest for Black students). </p>

<p>Other than that, I would recommend University of Illinois (I’m not sure of how generous they are with aid but you should definitely look), Marquette in Milwaukee, Spelman and Tulane.</p>

<p>Check out other HBCU’s too.</p>

<p>Do not really want to go to an HBCU but thanks for the feedback.</p>

<p>Actually, there are lots of schools out there where I think you would be eligible for significant merit aid. Also, the AP scores aren’t that critical - it’s much more important that you took the courses and did well. You are not required to send the scores and even if they show up on your transcripts, most schools, except for the most competitive, don’t give them too much weight until you submit them for credit. </p>

<p>Yeah, by all means go ahead and retake your SAT or take an ACT since you have plenty of time to improve on your scores. </p>

<p>If merit aid is your main goal I think you should look at some LAC type schools. Before I spout off a few suggestions, do you have any geographic restrictions? Are thgere any other specific criteria that’s important that you haven’t mentioned yet?</p>

<p>Thanks FLVADAD - I am wide open in terms of location, no restrictions. Any suggestions you offer would be great.</p>

<p>“Also, the AP scores aren’t that critical - it’s much more important that you took the courses and did well. You are not required to send the scores and even if they show up on your transcripts, most schools, except for the most competitive, don’t give them too much weight until you submit them for credit.”</p>

<p>FLVADAD, is this true? Don’t the AP scores, if reported (I wouldn’t report the 2), provide a yardstick by which to mearsure the rigor of the AP class (ie: student receives an A in the class, but scores only a 2 on the AP exam)? I figured that was one reason many schools do not post AP scores on the transcript.</p>

<p>yea i’m pretty sure the low ap test scores would negate any credit lent to an ap class. i don’t want to be a downer, but if you get an A and then a 2 it says a lot about the class. i would say lac’s because they are more hollistic, if at all, than the larger “brand-name” schools. you may have to apply to places beneath your stats to get the merit/ financial aid you need. you won’t like it, but it’ll be necessary if you don’t want to graduate with a ton of debt.</p>

<p>I’ve spoken directly to a few admissions people on this very topic. What I’ve been told is this:</p>

<p>Most (emphasis on MOST) adcoms do not consider AP scores except to the extent they help you. In other words, if you have high scores that enhance your application they will make note of them. However, they do not go out of their way to get your AP scores if you don’t you don’t send them, and if you don’t send them they do not generally assume you did poorly. </p>

<p>Obviously, if you have low scores and they get reported on your transcripts it won’t help, but it won’t be a determining factor either – not by themselves. Now, if you have other deficiencies AND they see low AP scores, well the weight of accumulated factors will indeed work against you. </p>

<p>That said, the rigor in your courses still carry far more weight than your AP test scores. In other words, they would rather see students who really challenged themselves and maybe didn’t get top scores, than students who didn’t even enroll in available AP classes at all – they make those kind of distinctions. </p>

<p>So, low AP scores may not help, but they are not a disqualifying factor. Adcoms don’t discount your GPA or your accomplishments on the basis of your AP score. In the best scenario it’s better just not to report low scores, but if your transcripts conspire against you it’s not the end of the world.</p>

<p>Look at College of Wooster in Ohio. Really good merit aid there as well as financial aid. It is also a school that is interested in attracting good African Americans. Take the SAT’s again or ACT, and do well on your APs and you should be in great shape.</p>

<p>^^^ Wooster was going onto my list too! I would also add this mix of safetys and matches:</p>

<p>Oberlin
Beloit
Villanova
Denison
Wittenberg
Oglethorpe
Lawrence
Ohio State
Case Western
Randolph Macon
Richmond
Alabama
Washington & Lee
Drew
Trinity U. - San Antonio
WUSTL
Delaware
Xavier (LA)
Hobart and William Smith
Holy Cross
Rhodes </p>

<p>There are more, but these might get you started</p>

<p>“Obviously, if you have low scores and they get reported on your transcripts it won’t help, but it won’t be a determining factor either – not by themselves.”</p>

<p>True enough - - but only b/c no single grade or score is dispositive. It goes w/o saying, however, that any low score is negative/unhelpful. And a low AP score juxtaposed w/ a high grade in the AP class is likely to undermine the value of the course grade. Fortunately, most schools don’t post AP grades on the transcript and as FLVADAD says, college adcoms have no desire to ferret out the scores.</p>

<hr>

<p>As for the list, even w/ her current SAT scores misswhite would get merit $ at Wooster and is an easy match for the schools on FLVADAD’s list.</p>

<p>I have seen black female candidates w/ misswhite’s scores admitted to top LACs – Amherst, Wesleyan, Williams, Haverford, Vassar – which meet 100% of demonstrated need and which award need-based aid to families making well over $100k. If she’s willing to consider women’s colelge, she’d be a contender for merit money at Smith and MHC, both of which are SAT optional for US applicants (though her scores would be fine for either school). At any of the top schools, misswhite would probably end up with no more than $4.5K per year in subsidized loans - - even less at the no-loan schools (at HYP families pay 10% of income and the rest is grant money) or at schools like Wellesley that cap loans at $15K total for all 4 yrs (so less than $4K per year).</p>

<p>Also, if misswhite want to play field hockey in college (or use it to boost her application), keep in mind that most of the teams are in the northeast - - very few southern schools have field hockey teams.</p>

<p>If misswhite were my D, I’d advise her to apply with the current score, then take the SAT - -if the second set of scores is stronger send them but if the second set is weaker (which happens more often that students think - - check out last month’s thread on Parents board), you don’t have to disclose them to anyone. In the meantime, refine your search - - what type of school do you want: rual? suburban? small town? LAC? Large uni? warm weather?</p>

<p>Good luck!!</p>

<p>OP should check out the admissions post from spring 2009 also the ED results which will begin posting next week. </p>

<p>In the meantime - - a March post from the 2009 actual results thread:</p>

<p>Accepted to Yale (SCEA), MIT, Vanderbilt, Early Notification Columbia SEAS and Cornell Engineering, UT Austin (Cockrell School of Engineering/Plan II honors)</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT: 1980 660 CR, 690 M, 630 W
SAT IIs: Math IIC (700); Biology-M (640); Chemistry (700)
ACT: n/a
GPA: 4.0/4.0
Ap Courses: English Language 5 US History 5 Chemistry 3 World History 4
Senior Year Course Load: Biotechnology, AP Calc BC, AP Eng Lit, AP Physics C, AP Biology, Theater Arts </p>

<p>Subjective:
Essays: Strong, personal perspective
Teacher Recs: Great ones from biology teacher known for 4 years and english teacher
Counselor Rec: Great one
Hook (if any): URM, science, well rounded…
Location/Person:
State or Country: TX
School Type: Public
major strength/weakness: strength: good writer, leadership weakness: standardized tests
why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: Good essays, good recs, diverse activites, a miracle perhaps, showed myself in every application, leadership ability
significant awards/recongitions: National Acievement, AP Scholar
summer activities: AusPrEP (Summer Engineering Program at local college 3 years) </p>

<p>Other Factors:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Class president 3 years 9,10,11
National Honor Society President 2 years 11,12
AP Ambassadors 3 years 10,11,12 (Science Director for tutoring)
Leadership Committee (Plan out things for the school and a freshman transition camp) 4 years 9,10,11,12
Science Olympiad 4 years 9,10,11,12 (Competed state level every year)
Soccer 4 years 9,10,11,12 (2009 25-5A District Champs!)
French Club 4 years 9,10,11,12</p>

<p>I would suggest trying for top ranked LACs that are test optional (or test flexible like Bryn Mawr). However, the need for merit money might preclude that. You need to dig down and find schools that are test friendly but still give merit money (F&M comes to mind).</p>

<p>Flavadad, I disagree. Low AP scores coupled with high grades sends a bad signal. I would suggest that poster find out whether those scores are on the HS transcript. If they are not then consider not reporting them.</p>

<p>Many LACs offer merit awards of $5K as a token discount to otherwise full-pay families. Full-tuition and full-fare awards are VERY competitive, and OP is unlikely to qualify for the top award and any of the schools in posts #14 and #15. If OP is looking to land one of the top scholarships, she’ll have to look at considerably less competitve schools.</p>

<p>OP might be considered for some of the half-tuition scholarships ($15-20K) at Wooster - level schools, but that would still mean coming up with up to $30K - - probably about the same out-of-pocket expense as with need-based aid from school that meets 100% of need. </p>

<p>If OP’s family can afford only $5K (or is willing to pay only $5K), she should consider state schools. Since the state schools start off with a lower sticker-price, a $10-15K scholarship could put the cost of attending w/i her family’s reach. But beware, some state schools are very expensive for out-of-state applicants.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t think I said anything contrary to this. My point was that it would not be definitive. </p>

<p>I agree it’s best that the scores not be reported.</p>