Help with University of Wisconsin-Madison...

<p>I have heard this is a school that is extremely dependent on GPA... my GPA is only 3.3 unweighted and 3.5 weighted but my ACT score is 33. My grades steadily improved over the years... Fresh/soph year I had a medical condition that kind of made me not want to try in anything (Supravesticular Techycardia which makes your heart beat go really fast when you get excited) and was cured in Junior year, from which point on my grades and ACT scores shot up.</p>

<p>I know my chances of getting in are pretty slim, so I want to know if any schools within Madison is easier/harder to get into. My choice at the moment is Computer Science, but if it is too selective I plan to apply with another major. Could anyone help me out? Thank you in advance :D</p>

<p>School does not matter-you just apply to UW. You apply to schools later in most cases.
I’d say write a good essay about your problems and do well now and you have a 50-50 shot.</p>

<p>SVT is a legitimate medical condition and is an understandable reason for your early performance. I assume that you had ablation therapy and that you can expect to lead a normal life. Your treatment would not have been possible ten years ago. Back then, you would have been placed on medications that would have you feeling a variety of weird side effects. I am happy to hear that you are well. </p>

<p>I am not an admissions expert, but you sound like a very good candidate. My advice is that you write an essay about the challenge that you faced and addressed. You may also want to supply a letter from your doctor corroborating your story. Most people are sympathetic towards others that have overcome challenges. I think that admissions officials are probably no different.</p>

<p>SVT = supraventricular tachycardia, which is what the OP meant, for those who are curious. As above, you get into the university as a whole, your proposed major doesn’t matter. Improving grades will help you, especially with a medical problem that treatment resolved with subsequent improvement- be sure to spell correctly if you mention the specifics.</p>

<p>Thank you for the support… the surgery was an absolute success, and I’m happy to say I am completely normal now.
@ etherdome… how can I supply a letter from my doctor? I’ve never heard of this process before O.o</p>

<p>chrisku,
Here is a link that I had posted previously about me daughter who is a freshman this year and her acceptance.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1063377405-post61.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/1063377405-post61.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The main point is that she was not what some would call ‘typical’ - a little light in the AP’s, EC’s, and average on the ACT for UW (28). 8 semesters of Art. BUT, she did great at explaining in her essays WHY art is so important to her. She is an outstanding writer too (Just submitted to get into the Creative Writing track with the English Dept.).</p>

<p>So, you need to sell yourself, and have great essays, get a doctors letter of explanation, etc… dont count yourself out.</p>

<p>DJD</p>

<p>Ask your heart doctor for a letter. Remember-s/he also had to apply to college, then medical school and understands the importance of supporting one’s cause. Make the request brief but include your name, diagnosis and surgery date plus the fact that you want their professional input that the condition before surgery would have impacted your life enough to influence your grades in HS. It is best if the doctor sends a letter directly to UW instead of having you send it (you will want to know its contents first, of course). Also let him/her know you need this soon to help your application. Use my advice here only as a guideline, not a blueprint.</p>

<p>hurry up and submit your crap, last I checked we still had rolling admissions, so the sooner you submit your app, the better your chances are.</p>

<p>“…the better your chances are” Not true. Get your application done so there is time to be sure all needed materials are in by the Feb 1st deadline.</p>