Acceptance chances?

<p>Ok sorry I know these get really annoying but I'm wondering if I have a good chance of being accepted. Madison is one of my top 3 schools right now. </p>

<p>Female (white)
In-State</p>

<p>GPA: 3.61 UW 3.93W
ACT: 30</p>

<p>I've taken a total of 6 Honors classes and 4 AP classes
I have an upward trend in my grades after a rocky freshman year</p>

<p>ECs:
Swimming
Track and Field
Rugby
Student Council
Yearbook
Journalism
National Honors Society
Lots of service hours (100+)</p>

<p>I'm in the process of finishing my application. Still working on my essays because I want to make them more unique. I have two teacher recs which I haven't seen but I assume they're pretty good. How do my chances look?</p>

<p>30 ACT + 3.61 UW GPA + WI resident + sports/ECs look great!</p>

<p>I applied on sept 3rd, and all my materials were received by September 9th. My status has been “Your application is being reviewed by one of our admissions counselors, check back here for status updates” since early October. I have been wanting to go to Madison since I was in 7th grade…can someone truthfully tell me my chances of getting in?</p>

<p>White-Female
WI Resident
ACT-26
GPA-3.72 (i go to a catholic high school, and our grading scale is much harder, so I don’t know if they change my GPA to what a regular public school student’s GPA would be like) Our grading scale is the exact same as UW-Madison uses
95-100 A (4.0)
94-90 AB (3.5)
89-85 B (3.0)
84-80 BC (2.5)
79-75 C (2.0)
and so on…</p>

<p>So i don’t know if they will take that into account at how difficult it was obtaining a good GPA…</p>

<p>and I have a lot of extra curricular activities as well! </p>

<p>will I be admitted? please tell me what honestly you think my chances are!</p>

<p>ps-I had 2 recommendation letters as well!</p>

<p>thanks!!</p>

<p>Can you retake the ACT on December 11th? (Try Kaplan’s ‘Spotlight on the ACT’ - it’s a smaller book, not overwhelming).</p>

<p>The GPA looks fine.</p>

<p>UW-Madison doesn’t have a ‘grading scale’; many classes are curved, and classes that do have a fixed scale are all over the board (for example 90-100 A, 80-89 AB, 70-79 B, OR 93-100 A, 88-92 AB, 82-87 B).</p>

<p>Do not try to presume a gpa from your HS means more than from any other HS. There are so many ways of manipulating test and other scores to get those percentages. Do not compare grades to those from UW- as Mad…stated, you can’t. A course could award an A to a 70% on a test if the test were sufficiently difficult, etc.</p>

<p>I’ve taken the ACT 5 times already, and took a $6,000 dollar preperation class/program that worked with me for 8 hours a week for 5 months to prepare for the June 2010 ACT. That was my best score. I have severe ADD, and standardized tests are VERY difficult for me…I mentioned my learning disability in my essay because I attend a very academically challenging high school.</p>

<p>Will that do anything to up my chances of admission?</p>

<p>And another question-if I currently have a sibling attending UW-Madison, does that help my chances as well?</p>

<p>Swimmer, I would not sweat it. You have a very good shot.</p>

<p>Bucky, does your school profile mention your rigorous grading scale so that admissions is aware of it and can read your GPA accordly? Either way, your GPA looks fine.</p>

<p>ACT may be a little iffy but you still have a good/decent shot imo</p>

<p>BuckyLover: I believe there is slight consideration given if relatives attended or currently attend UW Madison. </p>

<p>Here’s a link to the McBurney Center with information for prospective students who have disabilities that may be of interest to you:</p>

<p>[Prospective</a> Student Information - McBurney Disability Resource Center - University of Wisconsin–Madison](<a href=“http://www.mcburney.wisc.edu/students/prospective/index.php]Prospective”>http://www.mcburney.wisc.edu/students/prospective/index.php)</p>

<p>Here’s information on McBurney scholarships offered:
<a href=“Scholarships for Students with Disabilities – McBurney Disability Resource Center – UW–Madison”>Scholarships for Students with Disabilities – McBurney Disability Resource Center – UW–Madison;

<p>is that for if i get admitted, i look into that?</p>

<p>-and so does that help my chances with a sibling attending and my learning disability? Are my chances better?</p>

<p>A learning disability doesn’t hurt and may help your chances if you are borderline</p>

<p>I thought that a sibling may help your chances if you are borderline, but maybe it needs to be a parent that’s an alumni:</p>

<p>From: [UW-Madison</a> admissions myths: Some students get special treatment in the admissions process.](<a href=“http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth5.html]UW-Madison”>http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth5.html)</p>

<p>Getting in: The not-so-secret admissions process</p>

<p>Myth: Some students get special treatment in the admissions process.</p>

<p>True. Veterans, adult students, students with disabilities, children of alumni, some athletes, some minority students, some exceptional musicians, and students who are the first in their families to go to college all get some special consideration.</p>

<p>If an applicant in one of these groups is clearly admissible, or clearly not admissible, nothing unusual happens; a counselor simply makes a decision and follows the normal process. But in borderline cases, counselors are instructed to give students in these groups some extra consideration when they feel a decision could go either way. “It’s one more penny on the scale,” says associate admissions director Reason. “It’s not a pound on the scale. It’s nowhere near as important as academics. But it’s a penny in their favor.”</p>

<p>The rationale for special treatment is that the university believes admitting these students fits with its goal of building a diverse student body. “These are individuals who in their own way can make a specific and unique contribution to the university,” says Seltzer. “They are typically students who are underrepresented [in higher education], and the university and our society say that they should not be underrepresented on our campus.”</p>

<p>Does that mean students in these groups get in with lower grades than others? Occasionally, yes. “But they have some other set of extraordinary qualifications that justifies them being here,” says Reason. “To be a Division I athlete is extraordinary; to be an outstanding musician is extraordinary. These students add something very meaningful to the university.”</p>

<p>Another consideration is that the university often has resources to support students in these categories who might not fit the typical academic profile. The athletic department’s academic services unit, for instance, offers tutoring and study halls for student athletes, which Seltzer says allows for some wiggle room.</p>

<p>“The question is, can they succeed here?” he says. “We will never admit a student if we don’t believe he or she can succeed.”</p>