Hi! Roll Tide!

<p>Then I guess the rent link you posted seems pretty good(I will look up the other options but yours is super great)
.maybe I can get driver license and get a secondhanded car or ride a bike. I will have to ask if 10 mins from school is close enough to get hoousing exemption. :wink: </p>

<p>Thank you mom2collegekids!</p>

<p>So, you said malls are close. are there like grocery stores too? Here in oregon there are albertson and safeway.
I never saw safeway in other states.</p>

<p>Safeway name used to be in Calif, but the names are now Vons and Pavilions. The company isnt in the south I dont think.</p>

<p>Albertsons is called Star Market in the south.</p>

<p>You may be familiar with Ralph’s…that is Kroger here. </p>

<p>Publix and Brunos are in the south…they’re regional</p>

<p>Most of the Walmarts here are super Walmarts with full grocery.</p>

<p>There is a Super Target and a Brunos near the apt complex that I told you about.</p>

<p>Are super targets better than normal target???</p>

<p>Super Targets have a deliand a bigger selection of food.</p>

<p>m2ck, Safeway operates in Northern California under its own name as its corporate offices are in Pleasanton, east of Oakland.</p>

<p>paul2752, remember too that you’ll have to pay sales tax in Alabama, which is 9% on groceries, merchandise, and prepared food. There is no bottle deposit and glass bottles are not accepted for recycling unless you go to Target and drop them off. You might find that produce and dairy products are more expensive than in Oregon, but a lot of other costs are much lower.</p>

<p>I’m from the Seattle area and visit the Portland area multiple times each year, so if you have any more questions about the differences between Oregon and Alabama, feel free to ask.</p>

<p>I seem to recall that UA has a Korean Student Association and that Professor Junsoo Lee is/was the faculty advisor. You might want to contact him for more details about the association.</p>

<p>Ahhh…thanks for the info on Safeways in Northern Cal (lol…I think of nocal as another state!). We had Safeways in Southern Cal when I was growning up, but then they all became Vons or Pavilions. </p>

<p>Yes, Super Targets have full grocery. I know that regular Targets have a few grocery aisles, but Super Targets have a full grocery store in them. </p>

<p>yes, in Alabama, groceries have sales tax, but other taxes are MUCH lower…property tax, income tax, car tags, etc, are much lower in AL.</p>

<p>so Sales tax is 4%, but what is surtax? Thats like 11%…</p>

<p>I’m not sure what you mean. Maybe you mean the state sales tax is 4% and then each county gets to add their own? If so, then the county of Tuscaloosa adds 5%, because sales tax that is added to purchases is 9%.</p>

<p>However, if you buy a car here, the sales tax is very low…like 2-4%. And car registration is very low. And state tax on earnings is low.</p>

<p>I don’t think you’ll see a surtax on most things a person would normally buy.</p>

<p>Typical Taxes in Alabama:</p>

<p>Sales Tax: 9% in Tuscaloosa, 10% in Birmingham This is applied to groceries, merchandise, restaurant bills, etc.
State Income Tax: up to 5%. After exemptions and deductions, ones state income tax rate is typically a lot lower than 5%.
Car Registration/Drivers License Fees: Very low
Property Taxes: Very low
Gas is about 20 cents less per gallon than in Portland, OR.</p>

<p>here gas is so expensive</p>

<p>where were you seeing a mention of a surtax? That wouldn’t be something that anyone would face on any regular basis. Is that an alcohol tax? </p>

<p>oh no I just saw wikipedia. tahts it</p>