High Point University vs James Madison University for Engineering

For math as well I would choose JMU. HPU is only for those seeking a certain fit

If she needs a bit of hand-holding then HPU might be a better place for her. Apparently, kids are not “allowed to fail.” But if she wants to be a practicing engineer then she might want to go to an ABET accredited school because otherwise I don’t think she can take the PE exam. But, I also know engineers that are doing fine without it.

Another option is to look at a transfer pathway after a few courses are out of the way – like statics, calculus 1-4, and thermodynamics. I routinely see kids taking these courses at community colleges because they can’t pass 'em at their regular school and transferring credits. If HPU will allow her to do this, then go for it. Not sure how this is looked upon by employers though!

Engineering is brutal.

2 Likes

PE licensing matters when signing off on designs used by the general public. This is most commonly an issue in civil engineering, although it sometimes matters in other areas of engineering. Having an ABET accredited degree matters for PE licensing.

1 Like

This has been my underlying thought as I followed this thread
 without ABET or even confirmation that HPU is in the process of accreditation, I would rule it out for any kid with a remote interest in engineering.

I would do the same for W&L (where I have a current happy student)
 although they do graduate engineering students it seems the majority plan on grad school. The difference is that W&L is clear about the lack of ABET accreditation and apparently has no plans to change that.

6 Likes

Thank you!

I live in NC and am very familiar with HPU.

Every accrediting body for every industry is different. Some may require a certain amount of years in a field such as physics, etc and not every school is looking for accreditation in engineering.

If OP has any inkling to be an engineer, they should attend a school where it is 100% possible and where one 100% excels in STEM, including math and physics.

I would ask the school point blank on the first as they don’t say they are seeking. The link I provided to Randolph Macon shows they are. I’d also check STEM outcomes. I read a lot about business and communication outcomes, little about STEM.

If I’m OP I’d do my homework. Making sure I can get to the places I want to from there.

It’s great that when you come for your tour your name is on a parking space. It’s great the dorms are nice and campus manicured.

In the end, you need to be happy and employed. Yes they place people and it might be a suitable choice for this student. But I’d see how/where they place them. Good luck to OP.

I can’t speak to High Point, however, my son is also an engineering major (civil engineering,) was accepted to JMU and has decided against it.
JMU only offers a General Engineering degree, and after looking at the curriculum, it looked more like a combo of mechanical engineering and engineering management.
If that is what she is looking for, then JMU may be the schoool, but if your D is looking for a more specific concentration, it might not fit the bill. I believe my son will likely choose UMASS, which will have him taking civil engineering specific courses in year one.

3 Likes

Do you understand what is involved in the accreditation process? There is no single “office of accreditation” that understands the nuances of every nursing program, every pharmacy program, every civil engineering program, etc. and rubber stamps each program once a U applies.

Every profession has its own standards, guardrails, etc. You don’t want a civil engineer administering your chemotherapy, and you don’t want a Nurse Practitioner designing bridges.

I get that it’s your kid, your money, and your kid’s choice. But do NOT assume that any college that wants it gets its engineering program accredited. If that were the case, 100% of programs would be accredited- and they are not.

2 Likes

FWIW, I would be concerned not just about the accreditation but the breadth of class offerings, labs, and makers spaces at school that hasn’t previously been accredited or had that major. Not to mention industry connections for internships.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.