High prices of grocery in T-Town

<p>Dining Dollars are fully refundable at the end of the year, so it’s not like one has to use them to buy pizza without coupons. I didn’t use any Dining Dollars during my freshman year and didn’t buy anything from the on-campus food courts, convenience stores, or vending machines during my time at UA. I lived on campus each year and didn’t have a car.</p>

<p>Unless things have changed, Buffalo Phil’s on the Strip accepts Dining Dollars for everything except alcohol and the food is generally quite good. </p>

<p>While many students haven’t heard about it, Tut’s has the best pizza near campus. My advice is to see where UA employees are eating lunch and eat there.</p>

<p>As for much of the hot food at dining halls not being self-serve, it’s a way of cutting back on food waste and keeping high standards of food safety. There’s no limit on how much one can eat, but occasionally one will have to ask or come back for more. </p>

<h1>38 - Re: Early Move-in and Dining Halls. My son moved in Aug 8 and has been able to eat nearly all of his meals in the dining halls, with his dining plan, since lunch time on Aug 9. The various dining halls were opened only limited hours, however.</h1>

<p>Someone on the UA parent’s FB page said that folks at Bama Bound mentioned you could use your meal plan to order a pizza to go from the dining hall. I’m not sure how good it would be, but DS just likes cheese pizza so it might not be too bad. It was also mentioned that Lakeside is not open for breakfast and I had not realized that. Do they have breakfast foods you can pick up to go the night before at their late night hours?</p>

<p>^^
Lakeside has tried being open for breakfast, but not enough kids used it.</p>

<p>as a compromise, Fresh Food, in the Ferg, is open for breakfast at 7 am. So those who are in north campus dorms can eat there. </p>

<p>@FamilyofFive‌ </p>

<p>for those on South campus…Burke opens at 7 for breakfast.</p>

<p>@SEA_tide‌ … It is all ok. No need to defend the Dining Dollars program :)</p>

<p>I did not have a problem with the concept of Dining Dollars. I thought it would be nice to have dedicated funds to waste on fast food. When I was in college, my fellow poor college student friends and I spent a couple bucks a week on little burgers at Burger King. So $325 of dedicated fast food and restaurant food, to me, seems a fortune, and I don’t begrudge it. That said, I did not expect my son to need to use 25% of the funds since the 7th because he had no access to meal plan options. Perhaps that is the only valuable piece of information from my post to those whose kids move in early. Any place using the meal plan is not open at all during those early days. As a car-less student, and also one unfamiliar with all the local places, I am thankful that he had the Dining Dollars locations to go to (and did not have to spend regular cash) rather than not eating. If I had known, though I would have stocked his suite with tons of food when I was in town.</p>

<p>Now that everyone is moving in, the dining hall locations are opening and keeping regular hours, so I anticipate he won’t have to use his Dining Dollars out of necessity but can spend them for fun.</p>

<p>Unless he wants to walk across campus to Burke to eat a hot breakfast during breakfast hours, he will get breakfast another way. His first care package has a microwave egg poacher and a crockpot, and he plans to keep eggs and milk on hand for breakfast and the crockpot will be for cranberry meatballs (he knows the recipe) so he can satisfy Friday night munchies with something other than pizza.</p>

<p>About the carrots, though, that was the only hot food under lock and key, and that will just go down as one of his most amusing experiences so far. I think there must be some secret cafeteria code about vegetables, because when I was in college, and asked for a second spoon of green beans rather than be given a spoonful of the potato chip encrusted tuna casserole, the cafeteria lady told me no :)</p>

<p>Really, though, it is all good. He is having a grand time, has fantastic suite mates, and is looking forward to starting classes Wednesday morning bright and early.</p>

<h1>41. Yes because your student lives in Burke, correct? Very convenient for Burke students, not so much for Ridgecrest.</h1>

<h1>39. 15th street Dominos. I should include a note that the lady there was very kind when I called to ask how using Dining Dollars worked, etc. She said she would gladly help my son with his order once he called in directly (the best way to order, by the way, she said.) And, yes, coupons are the way to go, and he will definitely have some to use before he orders again.</h1>

<p>^^^
Is that in response to my post?</p>

<p>Those who live in Ridgecrest (any of them) or any of the Super suites in North Campus can eat breakfast in Fresh Foods in The Ferg.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ Sorry about not typing your name. I just followed the other parent’s lead by referring to the post number. </p>

<p>So, yes, a response to yours, and, yes the Fresh Food place is now open (son tried it today.)</p>

<p>Thanks for the Hungry Howies recommendation. I will pass that along.</p>

<p>@chesterton,</p>

<p>My son was also an early arrival in Ridgecrest. He knew that he wouldn’t have access to the meal plan until Aug 14th when his schedule was confirmed so I sent him with enough cash to tide him over until then. Since his meal plan kicked in he hasn’t had any problems, but I think he has taken advantage of the ability to take food back to his dorm room so he has something to fall back on if necessary. He has some early classes scheduled so will breakfast in his room most days once term starts. </p>

<p><a href=“http://fawp.ua.edu/bamadining/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2013/11/Fall-2014-General-Hours.xls.pdf”>http://fawp.ua.edu/bamadining/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2013/11/Fall-2014-General-Hours.xls.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
Dining hall hours for this semester</p>

<p><a href=“http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/locations.html”>http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/locations.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<h1>2 is Fresh Foods which is no longer located in the Ferg but located closer to the Engineering complex. I assume that is where all of the North dorm students are expected to eat.</h1>

<p>I would think that as many students that live in Riverside/Ridgecrest/Lakeside/Presidential dorms, they could open Lakeside for breakfast. I would assume that each year they would have a different set of students since the majority are freshman. What could it hurt to have Lakeside open for the first 2-3 weeks of school for breakfast then adjust hours as needed?</p>

<p>I had also sent breakfast/snack foods with DS to last for the first week or two. And he and roomies have already found a gas grill and cooked hot dogs out one night!</p>

<p>But, if we are paying a large amount for an unlimited plan, it would be nice if they got there money’s worth!</p>

<p>Since I took this thread off the prices of groceries and onto the meal plans, etc, (my apologies to the OP) let me just give a little more information, so that I am sure to be fair to the school, Bama Dining, but also provide some useful information for parents next year whose kids move in early for things like Outdoor Action (and then I will be done, I promise!)</p>

<p>My son moved in on Thursday, 8/7. We had already confirmed his schedule (he had been at Bama Bound a week before, and registered, and I confirmed his schedule on Wednesday 8/6, and I was aware that he would not be able to use his meal plan until the 9th, so I figured he would use Dining Dollars for any meals he ate on campus, and would be with us for much of the rest of the time. I did not realize, though, until we moved him in and started to look at the Bama Dining facebook page, that hours were severely limited for all locations. Beginning that Friday morning, I wanted him to try out as many of the dining options while I was still in Alabama. He stayed in Ridgecrest Thursday night, while our family went off to a hotel. I called him Friday morning to see how he was and what he had eaten for breakfast. Dunkin Donuts was his only option. I took a look at the schedule of hours for the first time that morning (which I still have saved) and here is what was open for students on Thursday 8/7 and Friday 8/8: Fresh Food (from 11-2, but no meal plans accepted on those days), and Dining Dollar options Chick Fil A (7:30-2pm), Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, and a couple of the quick service places that he was not yet aware of (but none were breakfast places.) No dining halls were open at all on Thursday and Friday. On Saturday morning, Lakeside was not open as it was scheduled to be, so my son found Chick Fil A on Saturday morning. Burke and Fresh Food, if open, did not open until 12 noon. By that time, we had picked him up for the day.</p>

<p>This past week, because his schedule was packed with Outdoor Action, and because the students met each day early to pack lunches together, and ate dinner together as a part of the program, finding on-campus dining was not a huge issue. There were a couple of times when he did go to get a late lunch, and he found the Raising Cane’s (Lakeside was already closed for the afternoon.) He was mostly thirsty from all of the outdoor work in the program and also going to the rec center and playing basketball. We had stocked his refrigerator with bottled water and Gatorade, so at least he had that, and he had found all of the vending machines.</p>

<p>I guess what other parents may be able to learn from me is that, during the earliest of early move-in, eating on campus, especially using the meal plan, is difficult to do. Hours are very limited, locations are very limited. Yes, my son had plenty of cash, if needed, but as a freshman, new to the area, without a car, his options were limited to what was on campus, and he had mostly Dining Dollars locations, and even those were closed most of the time. I am glad that we were in town until the 10th, and that, because of all of the move-in and rushing activities going on on campus, we picked him up frequently, particularly for meals. My regret is that we did not make one more trip to the store to buy him some groceries, like eggs, milk, bread, cereal, etc. I admit I made erroneous assumptions about the ease of eating on campus during the first and second weeks, especially with that all-access meal plan plus Dining Dollars. With all the choices, I just thought it would be a non-issue. I was wrong.</p>

<p>I think for me, the problem is that Fresh Foods is no longer located in the Ferg. I agree that that would have been convenient for breakfast. Maybe I took the long way around, but FF seemed kind of far away from Ridgecrest. My thoughts were he would get up, eat breakfast, then go back to the room and shower and get ready for his 10 am classes. Being in RCE, he is only steps from Lakeside and this would have been very doable. </p>

<p>If you get stuck like this during early move-in don’t forget that you can get to Publix without a car. DS walked over there and stocked up with some food when he arrived.</p>

<p>For UA freshmen and the unlimited swipe dining, there is some kind of a service where you can preorder a pizza through dining - I have my DD look into it (told her to ask when she is at the dining hall) - heard about it from another parent who found out about it during BB from avanti student.</p>

<p>It helps to keep ears open. </p>

<p>DD was in Million Dollar Band (MDB) rehearsal, and dinner break last week was 4 - 6 p.m. (and dining hall was closed 3:30 - 6 p.m.) - MDB had 6 - 9:30 p.m. full outdoor rehearsal which they found meets what they want to get done. DD didn’t tell me until Wed night. So I talked to helpful person in dining Thursday. I told DD to make herself a sandwich for dinner for Thurs and Fri (during lunch) and swiping a take out dinner. Dining was going to talk to MDB assistant so there can be better communication and coordination to meet MDB student needs in the future.</p>

<p>I was shocked about Target high milk price here in N AL - so now I go a few blocks away from Target and purchase at WalMart.</p>

<p>When in WI and IL last month, I was shocked that gas was higher in WI than IL (never in all my years have I ever seen that). We do have much lower gas prices here in AL.</p>

<p>UA is much different than UAB when it comes to free food available at events - UA has so many more students. DD at UAB marching had lots of free food lots of times. Not what we expect to see at UA.</p>

<p>From earlier comments, I like BOGO deals at Publix, like their bakery, look at their advertised deals. I don’t shop exclusively there. I also love their fried chicken in the deli.</p>

<p>For students, the Publix is convenient for UA students.</p>

<p>Agree with other posters on time and running around is not convenient for students except for those on a very tight budget - and they work it in their schedule.</p>

<p>Free food is very common at UA events. Depending on the organization hosting the event, it can range from pizza and soft drinks to full buffet meals (heavy hors d’oeuvres in UA parlance.) This is especially true if a top company is hosting a recruiting event or a department is hosting a celebration. If an event is hosted in the Alston Parlor (likely the fanciest room on campus) or the Anderson Room (a very fancy room in the Ferguson Center with a big dinner table and large chandelier), chances are there will be a lot of food.</p>

<p>That may be true @Sea_tide but for WOW opening event, food was gone quickly and students were so crowded they couldn’t get into the venue. I imagine there will be adjustments as the number of students increase. New freshmen will figure it out, but in the meantime, they have unlimited meal swipes in the dining halls.</p>

<p>When we come for Parents Weekend we will see how things run on the paid meal events with large crowds.</p>

<p>I know what you say for food for smaller events and that is true.</p>

<p>Part of it is many of the students are adjusting to how to show up for a big event (coming early enough to get in and get to things before they run out).</p>

<p>Where is Fresh Foods now? </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids‌ Fresh Foods is basically across Hackberry for the transportation Hub parking deck. The corner of Margaret & Hackberry</p>

<p>@SOSConcern - When attending Parent Weekend, remember you can use your Students “Guest” swipe for meals not included in the special parent package. My son last year never used all his guest meals, so be certain your kid takes advantage of it.</p>