High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

Many families expect their children to be self-sufficient once they graduate from college, and just earning a college degree (with the associated skills of critical thinking, analysis, excellent writing, etc) along with some internships will usually get a student there, regardless of their major.

Many people (most?) are in jobs that have very little relation to their undergraduate majors. Being able to have transferable skills, learn quickly, and adapt are very important, as there are many jobs that exist now that didnā€™t exist 20 years ago, and there will be many jobs that exist now that wonā€™t exist in 20 years and others that will be entirely new. Your major will not chain you to a particular career for life.

What are you interested in? Thatā€™s what Iā€™d pick. If your family has concerns, then I suspect that data science/analytics or statistics would be the best bets. But Iā€™d also be checking out what AI can do and what people think it will be able to do. I donā€™t know how that might play a role in the future. For instance, computer programming jobs are already being threatened by AI. Donā€™t know whether these other fields would be too, or not.

As youā€™ve mentioned being a foreign correspondent and international relations several times, have you looked at Seton Hallā€™s program in diplomacy? One of the majors that might be of particular interest is the International Quantitative Economics and International Relations major which requires fluency in another language and a professional internship. If youā€™re more interested in financial reporting, thereā€™s a major in Mathematical Finance (or just regular finance). Its journalism major takes advantage of the college radio and tv stations as well as the college newspaper to provide experience and requires students to create and maintain a news blog, providing additional experience. I suspect youā€™d get amongst their more generous merit awards, but I donā€™t know if that will bring this school within budget for you. Make sure you run the NPC.

:100:

Are you eligible for any of these programs? These would be good ways to get an education within your familyā€™s budget.

4 Likes

Any job has the risk of being replaced eventually but that risk is less overall and further out for jobs like those you list than journalism. Iā€™m saying that by the time you graduated in 4.5 years from now 75% of the paying writing jobs still left may already be gone. Not 10 or 20 years, but before you could even start. And thatā€™s on top of a long slow decline of the profession before we even got to the era of generative AI.

I wouldnā€™t put much hope in places that commission investigative journalism either. Itā€™s not that AI will take those jobs, its that the sources that pay for that kind of work are simply disappearing. Sure there will always be a few. But there will be literally a hundred people graduating with journalism or writing-related degrees for every job left that pays a living wage. Are you confident enough you will beat those odds?

The options are narrowing and a tiny portion of them are lucrative. Even successful published authors rarely make a steady six-figure income from it, unless they are a celebrity or one of the handful of truly famous fiction writers.

To be clear, writing and journalism is an amazing, noble profession. If itā€™s truly or one true passion, you should go for it. But if its one of a range of options you are considering, you should be eyes wide open that its an industry in massive decline.

4 Likes

OK - Iā€™m confused.

OP - pre med isnā€™t a major so itā€™s ok that your parents donā€™t want you to major in that. Itā€™s more advising - but yes, you have to take the right classes.

So you asked a question earlier - what should I pair with journalism - and my answer is YES.

When I graduated Syracuse, you needed a minor or double major - I forget. Mine was a history double with BJ. So you want print - which is less of an art.

Journalism is a tough degree. Iā€™m not saying donā€™t pursue the dream - but a lot of it what you look like or sound like - or in your case you want to write, perhaps longform, which rarely happens anymore. And many great journalists never ever took a journalism class. And those that do - the success rate is probably really really low.

So when you say which should I double in - I say yes!!

• Political Science
  • International Relations
  • Data Science/Analytics
  • Statistics
  • Economics

Odd answer - but you should choose the one that youā€™d enjoy. Poli Scie, IR and especially Econ will all have a stats basis to them.

So Iā€™m confused - youā€™re a 4.0, 1530 but want to stay near home?

Or donā€™t have money - and youā€™ll think youā€™ll qualify for aid?

I mean, great J schools wonā€™t work for you but frankly, one doesnā€™t need a great J school at all.

So if your NPC (not sure for which school) shows $3K - then look at schools that meet need and would be solid in the areas you listed - Lehigh, Lafayette, Franklin & Marshall, W&L (has business journalism) and any that meet need. Or for local, how about a Ramapo or William Patterson?

Solid B school programs on the cheap - but not the cheap you need - would be like Arizona State, Miami Ohio, UF, Ohio U, Mizzou, Lehman (CUNY), Hofstra, KU, Iowa State.

Not sure I understand the ask here - a lot of comments in the last two hours but responding to the request from @thumper

Finally - and youā€™re print - anyone can write - or for broadcast because print often works on air today to make ends meet - everyone has a phone - and can practice. Having a phone is like having your own TV studio.

Good luck to you - but itā€™s your life - so you need to chase your dream, not mom and dads.

Cost, but also my parents donā€™t want me to move out just yet. And if I do, they wouldnā€™t want me moving to another state.

Iā€™d like to attend a famous university, one that has lots of funding and can grant me really good positions in the future and has lots of resources and connections. I know itā€™s not absolutely necessary, and Iā€™m willing to give up prestige if I can choose my major and be able to pay off the tuition.

You have a lot of choices of colleges in NJā€¦from the list you posted.

How much can your parents pay annually for you to attend college? Be realisticā€¦and ask them. It sounds like they have other financial obligationsā€¦so get an answer about YOU.

Yes, thatā€™s what I mean. Sorry if I made it unclear.

Basically. I wouldnā€™t mind doing something like psychology or something that doesnā€™t require more than six years in college, but Iā€™m really not interested in healthcare as a whole.

It depends on time in college, like I said, and the work-life balance of these careers.

You need to attend a college with good opportunities for internships in your field. That should be a top priority, in my opinion.

We know recent broadcast journalism majors and both did get jobsā€¦but neither one got a job near where their family currently lives. For journalism, you will need to move to wherever you are offered an entry level job. Period.

3 Likes

If you do not want a career in health care then nursing is out of the picture. Have you considered school psychology (you indicated an interest in psychology)?

I am only suggesting careers because I feel it may be important for your situation. Normally, I would encourage somebody to explore their interests for a bit (hopefully you can do that)

So I went to Syracuse for journalism. Well known. Tons of connections except and itā€™s 30 years ago - everyone is there for the major and few end up successfully. I had 9 months at a major cable network, couldnā€™t afford to live and that was that. As a broadcast major, I had a ton of competition for college radio and in class I got to be a news anchor once, weather once ahd sports once.

Yes they put out successes but by the percentages, not necessarily.

My friend Becky came for two years and had to leave. Her parents moved into a trailer to pay for two years and then they had no money. She transferred to her home school - Montana. I visited. 20 kids in class. They all had access to all the equipment and at graduation, all 20 had jobs.

Sometimes going to the big, famous one is a disadvantage, not an advantage. Sometimes in smaller, less known places, you get many more chances to ply your craft.

Itā€™s like In the workplace - at small, unknown companies, people might have to do everything whereas when you work at a big, well known company like I do, opportunities are limited.

Go where you are able and hustle. Take advantage of what is offered. Be first in line to volunteer. The where will matter far less.

When I look up journalist profiles - some come from big name J schools or no J school and some come from William Paterson and Beloit.

You are not limited.

3 Likes

At least in NJ, thatā€™s a 6 semester Masters (after college), resulting in certification.

E.g.

2 Likes

It might include summers, which brings it to 2 years. I guess it depends on the program.

1 Like

A compromise might be to stay at your college during the week, returning Friday afternoon. Sometimes, you can arrange your course schedule to have no classes Friday or Monday (my daughter was semi-ā€œreligiousā€ about that) - thus possibly allowing for a 3 day weekend with your family.

1 Like

I live in Monmouth County. Iā€™m planning to commute by train most of the time (if I have classes at 9:00 I could take a 7:00 train, for example). Itā€™s not ideal, but thatā€™s the plan anyway since we canā€™t afford to get a car for each of us. I figured if itā€™s not over an hour or an hour and a half, I could manage the rest somehow.

1 Like

Does the train drop off at school ? Or is it hard to then get there ?

Honestly if youā€™re going there daily on such a long and inconvenient commute, live home and go to a community college bcuz you wonā€™t be taking advantage of school life - the study session, late night pizzas, clubs, weekends - make your life easy. Then transfer when your family can let go.

1 Like

I did already. Given that I double major, dual degree, or do a co-concentration, there are countless opportunities for jobs in the field. Their main concern is that I wonā€™t make enough money, but if I convince them that journalism can lead to lucrative jobs, they wonā€™t be as opposed.
I know undergraduate major wonā€™t be the determining factor for the rest of my life, but Iā€™d like to study something that actually interests me for at least four years.

I mentioned before that I donā€™t mind going full ride at a smaller college, as long as I can choose my major. Iā€™d do one or the other.

3 Likes

Reminder to posters that CC is supposed to be a friendly and welcoming place.

1 Like

Let me just say for the record:
Your parents have my sincere admiration and respect that they someone manage to afford higher education, even graduate studies, for all their children!

Just to be clear, pharmacy assistant or technicians are low-paying jobs (despite their importance), there is not even a degree requirement. And a pharmacist is a Pharm. D. - a doctoral degree that takes four years to complete beyond college.

Agreed - unless you are absolutely, unconditionally passionate about nursing, then donā€™t remotely consider it. Itā€™s not ā€œjustā€ a job.

I generally do like your idea of data science as something that your parents might view as future oriented, and with a solid outlook. I saw you took Statistics, no Calc - and I see no mention of any computer science related classes.
Do you actually have any interests/talents that way?

Dito - economics. It tends to get math-heavy - is that really where you shine?

1 Like

Theyā€™re too farā€¦ I have to commute, I canā€™t dorm or live on my own. Maybe during graduate school.

1 Like

Oh, I meant if I donā€™t go to law school, not if I do. Like one that will still get me a job without going to law school. Is political science useless? Maybe with Journalism or International Relations?