High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

No!

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s basically their mentality.

How does Criminal Justice with a minor in Journalism sound? I saw that option in the Kean University program. I could do law school later, or become an officer, maybe with an internship. Maybe that could be my ā€œnicheā€ when I become a journalist.

Youā€™re right about all of this, but I donā€™t have a choice. I wonā€™t get a car for a long time (my brother didnā€™t until he went to med school) and my sisters take the train, sometimes taking two hours and going at nighttime. My parents are cultural, and they donā€™t think taking the train is more dangerous than living away from home.

Iā€™m trying to do so at the moment, but theyā€™re really stubborn. My sister wanted to do fashion or interior design, but she compromised with architecture. Iā€™m trying to compromise as well. I was considering a major like Economics or Data Science to complement the Humanities major, but the bit about AI replacing jobs has me a bit worried.

Which topics would you like to write news stories about? Those subjects could suggest what college major might go well with a journalism interest. E.g. data science or statistics could be helpful if you want to write about things involving statistics (which range from medicine, elections, economics, sports, etc.). Economics is obviously applicable if you are a journalist writing about economics and business topics. Political science and international relations are applicable if you are writing about those topics.

But also consider which majors could be helpful in getting non-journalism jobs if journalism is too competitive to get into, and whether you like those non-journalism jobs associated with each major.

1 Like

Crime stories seem to be a staple of local newsā€¦ but is that the kind of journalism you are interested in?

I havenā€™t, actually! Thatā€™s one of the colleges Iā€™m willing to attend, even though itā€™s not very selective, if NYU doesnā€™t work out. The major you mentioned sounds very useful, Iā€™ll look into it. Does it require fluency in another language and a professional internship before enrollment?
I tried the NPC and it says that my net price will be $19,110 and my EFC will be $11,549. It doesnā€™t include any merit aid, so maybe it will actually be cheaper.

Probably not, since my familyā€™s gross income is about 140k. Do they take into account household size?

1 Like

But if I specialized in, say, diplomacy or foreign language, I think Iā€™ll be able to find a job that hasnā€™t been taken by AI or other people. AI can report the news, but we still need people to interpret it, right?

I believe so, if I specialize in an area that is in demand or underrepresented. Thatā€™s also why Iā€™m not going to take Journalism alone as a degree, because itā€™s not good enough by itself.

Iā€™m not aiming for a six-figure income- my parents are. I donā€™t really want that many kids in the future, if any, and me and my future partner will probably be able to cover all costs of living. Unpopular view- I think money is overrated. Whenever you have some, you just want more of it.

Itā€™s definitely my goal in life. Itā€™s been since fourth grade, and is unlikely to change. I just want to balance it with practical decisions and backup plans in case it goes wrong. The first plan was always to be a journalist.

Nope! Just for graduation.

No idea. What I quoted is all that I know. This NJ website seems to have more info about various opportunities the state provides: NJ Grants Home | New Jersey Student Financial Aid | HESAA

Iā€™m not sure, but they may allow deductions for dependents when calculating the AGI. But thatā€™s something to investigate more and ask the NJ officials about.

If criminal justice is of interest to you, and ā€œlawā€ in general, I could see your parents relating that to feasible career options.

Whether you truly end up working with a public safety agency - or whether you end up with a job that more directly incorporates your passion for the written word ā€“ you are not limited to ā€œcrime reportingā€ either, or ā€œnewsā€ stories in general.

You may discover many other jobs, even outside of public safety agencies, where a journalism/literature/English major will be an important factor, and your criminal justice degree will also be required. Writing talent will be needed for training manuals, for public relations, for advocacy groups,ā€¦

There are journalists with law degrees. So itā€™s practical.

You asked if poli sci is a waste. No major is a waste. Life is long with many turns. What you do with it is what matters. M people become successful withiut colkege, going to junior college b4 a four year school and going to lesser known schools .

If you work hard to secure opportunities, if you try new things and run with them, then you will find lifetime success.

It comes from grit and hustleā€¦so if youā€™ve had a goal, chase your goal. It may or may not be Bos a major. You donā€™t need to be a journalism major to write - but you could be.

If you do IR or Intl studies, youā€™ll likely need to go abroad - great for writing stories - but will your parents let you leave a close radius of home to study abroad ?

1 Like

Iā€™m not picky about which form of journalism I want to take on. Whatever is more in demand, Iā€™ll take it, and take any courses needed to specialize in it. I just want to communicate the truth to people, and since I love writing, itā€™s the perfect job.

Neither. My parents donā€™t want me to leave the house just yet. Itā€™s a cultural thing.
Weā€™re middle income, but I have so many siblings, so I have a limited budget to work with. The problem is, I donā€™t think grant-giving institutions really look at household size, which puts me in a difficult situation. Iā€™m going for merit scholarships or sweepstakes- just throwing the net as far as I can.

I know it will be difficult. But I think if youā€™re really passionate about something, youā€™ll find a way to make it happen. Maybe itā€™s naive, but what else should I do? Throw away my goals and let others decide my life for me? No, thanks.

I canā€™t figure it out. It seems their ability to pay rests on whether they care enough about what theyā€™re paying for. Recently, they enrolled my younger siblings in a private school and paid a lot of money for it. But when my sister had to pay nearly $10k for her tuition one year, she paid for half of it with her own money from her job and had to take out loans for the rest. So, I donā€™t know. I think if I did med school, theyā€™d pay for it all, but if I did a humanities major, they wouldnā€™t pay because they donā€™t care for it as much. That kind of makes it difficult.

Great, then go for it! As others have noted, there is not much advantage to a journalism degree (perhaps a minor bump if its one of the renowned programs) versus a degree from a good program in one of the areas you would like to write about. For the journalism itself, it will all be about internships and other experience (working on the college paper or TV station, getting traction with your own website, getting published in known places while in college, etc.) ā€“ all of which can be done whether it is your major or not.

2 Likes

I believe NYU has many opportunities for internshipsā€¦ especially because theyā€™re in NYC. Do you know of any other colleges that offer good internships?

I donā€™t have a problem with moving away, but my parents might. I think by then Iā€™ll be gone anyway, since Iā€™ll have a paying full-time job and be out of college. I am willing to travel almost anywhere, thereā€™s nothing rooting me.

When you talk about making enough, a lot of media today is contracted. To magazines, to tv stations vs employees.

So these folks have to fight for everything they get. All the talking heads you see on various stations or writing for Forbes. So many are contractors.

You become a journalist and a business person. You are the product.

Maybe you can ask a local journalist, at a community paper if you can shadow and maybe write some short stories forā€¦covering a school board meeting or town council meeting, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah, my parents donā€™t like that major either, unfortunately. My sister wanted to do Psychology, but she ended up doing Clinical Lab Science instead.

Hopefully I can. Parents can be stubborn, though. Itā€™s hard to get them to listen. Thanks for your encouragement, though!

Thank you, your insight was very enlightening.
I suppose I do put a lot of emphasis on college prestige, but thereā€™s other reasons I want to attend NYU. Itā€™s located in NYC, where Iā€™ve always wanted to go, and itā€™s diverse and expansive. There are a lot of options to study abroad and do internships. But if I donā€™t end up enrolling and instead go to a small-town college, Iā€™m hoping to just do a major Iā€™m passionate in.

Nah, theyā€™re ā€œreligiousā€ about not dorming. Iā€™ll be fine- my siblings managed. They took the train.
Like I said, my parents are stubborn. Sometimes they donā€™t respond to reason.

They want me to commute because they donā€™t want me to experience school life. Itā€™s too liberal for them and they think Iā€™ll go wild or something. Itā€™s alright, Iā€™ll just take the train.

I think it depends on the college. To Kean there are 1-2 train rides, and a short walk. To NYU I think thereā€™s a train close to my house, that goes to NY-Penn Station, then a short walk to a short subway ride, then another walk to the university. Overall, itā€™s about an hour and a half. Not too bad, considering it takes nearly an hour to get there by car anyway. Itā€™s a bit expensive, though.

We take out a lot of loans. Obviously my parents canā€™t pay 70k a year for med school. We also budget a lot- on trips, shopping, etc. My dad has a pretty stable job, and my mom works too. They work hard, and Iā€™m grateful. I just wish theyā€™d be a little understanding.
For example, pharmacy is not easy to get a good job in, but they still want me to do it. If not, then something else related to healthcare or at least a STEM major.

Iā€™m not really interested in math or economics (as a matter of fact I hate it), but Iā€™m willing to study it if I can do Journalism alongside it. Itā€™s not that Iā€™m bad at math- Iā€™m pretty good, I got an A in all my math classes, which were all Honors, and my math teachers give me good feedback. Given a reason, I can do math, and do it well. Economics could be a little trickier- but Iā€™ll just work harder and Iā€™m sure I can manage. Again, I need motivation.

I want to write about international topics, be a foreign correspondent. Thatā€™s what I want to do most, but I also want to have a backup plan if things go wrong money-wise. The Data Science and Statistics is to mollify my parents, who need to see some STEM in their kidsā€™ studies or else they think itā€™s useless. Iā€™d really like to do something related to Government, History, or International. Iā€™m hoping to report abroad, become an activist, that type of thing.