High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

Oh! That’s a relief. I didn’t do any internships yet.

Alright, I’ll see if they do.

1 Like

Alright, then I’ll keep that as an option. I think my parents would be happy if I went to Kean University and got a full ride scholarship (or half), even if the major isn’t STEM or healthcare. I haven’t gotten their opinion on a Criminial Justice major yet, though.

Many of your publics will be even more diverse than NYU. Almost all colleges have study abroad options, and you can do internships from anywhere. You can do any or all of those things from pretty much any college.

2 Likes

I hope so. Time will tell. If not, I could do a different major to go with Journalism.

That makes sense. I’d still have to major in something related though, right? Like, if I did Pharmacy, there wouldn’t really be any avenues for me to do Journalism.
That’s another reason why I want to do Journalism- it’s flexible, unconventional, and requires you to get out of your comfort zone. I love that for me. Others, not so much.
That’s why I want to go to NYU, and not a small, unknown college. They have so many opportunities for connections, internships, jobs, initiatives, etc.

Yes, I imagine it’s very hard. Your advice is sound, and I’ll try to follow it. I’ve been looking at papers close by, not too far out of reach for me. I held lead our school newspaper, so I was thinking of including that in our club initiatives- shadowing or interning.

Internships are made by you, moreso than the college.

You can look at Cornell’s job results…most are being found online (likely indeed) and linkedin.

My daughter is an Intl Studies and Poli Sci major at a lesser name, regional school - and worked for a state agency this summer and is at a top think tank in DC this fall as part of her school’s DC semester.

She had 7 offers when it was all done - a lot of rejection, but 7 offers. And good ones. NYU won’t make you - your hustle and persistence will. I saw the same with my son - different field but 20 interviews and 5 offers in the Fall and one coming in the spring which he didn’t entertain.

If you go to Montclair State or Ramapo or wherever - you STILL can get to where you want. It’s up to you - and it will be at NYU too.

1 Like

Wow, that’s so impressive!

Do you think interning in high school would help me, maybe give me a head start?

experience begets experience - meaning getting the first opportunity is hardest - so my son getting his first internship wasn’t easy. The second one, much easier and the job surprising easy.

So if you can find something local - a shadow, internship or part time job - absolutely - it’d be great. It’d also expose you to an area of interest so you can see what it’s really like vs. what you think. And hopefully gain a great mentor too.

That’s why I mentioned - you might hit up the local community paper and see if they hire or would hire a high schooler.

1 Like

AI can easily interpret…or translate into another language. Actually, very easily, and with accuracy.

2 Likes

If you were to go to medical school, by the time you get there your annual costs could easily exceed your parent take home pay. Where would the money come from. Actually, paying for three kids in varying places in their studies sounds like it already takes most of their income if it is in fact $140,000 a year. I think you need a better handle on your parent ability to fund your college costs.

Commuting has costs too…in time…and money.

You have the stats to get good merit aid at a number of places, but it seems those are not at all on consideration.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I don’t think the options are as expansive, or the outreach more extensive. I’d still consider other colleges, though.

Alright, I’ll see what I can do.

I mean interpret, like explaining the motives behind the Democratic Party’s decision to do etc., or if something is ethical by human standards, etc. Robots can’t have human souls, no matter how smart they get.

I think you buy into a lot of hype or what magazines say, etc. My daughter goes to a no name school but has met with Dennis Ross, David J. Firestein, Jacques Pitteloud, and a former Canadian ambassador to the US. You can look them up.

Many schools have opportunities. You don’t realize it when you apply because they are under the radar but you’d be surprised.

Set up a meeting with a dean or advisor at each school in the area of interest and ask what type of extra curricular opportunities related to the major they have - research, meetings/discussions, field trips, research…whatever.

You might be surprised at what you find out - even at schools that don’t register in your mind - and given your parents have financial issues, when you are an amazing student as you are and you go to a school where the average student isn’t to your level, that often leads to more $$. When you’re a stud, you can get paid. At NYU, you’re not a stud - you’re one of many studs!! No reason to reward you.

Would schools like Manhattan College or Sarah Lawrence be accessible by train within a similar commute??

1 Like

Then you might have least that as a possible fallback position. If going to Kean will give you the freedom to choose to follow your interests, then that is more important than a “brand name” college, and trying to motivate yourself to be successful in a field that you have little to no interest in.

I realize that you keep expecting NYU (or similar) to open lots of doors for you – but I genuinely think that you are far overestimating the impact. The graduating class of 2023 has 22,000 people (from all their schools combined). Do you really think every single one benefited individually from whatever of NYU’s connections, opportunities, etc.? In reality, it will be the determination and the persistence of some students, who will maximize what they can get out of NYU.

But, the same determination and persistence will also open doors for you while attending a Kean. In fact, with your academics, studying habits, excellence,… you will likely stand out. You are much more likely to catch the eye of your professors, who will be more likely to create opportunities for you, get you involved in their own projects, use their own network for one of their top students, and recommend you personally.

My daughter’s professor pointed her to specific internships run by professors at other top universities in the area!

So - don’t assume that you’ll have to “settle for second best”. In reality it will be as good as you make it!

4 Likes

Exactly my argument. As I mentioned before, sometimes they don’t listen to reason.
If I get a part-time job, the cost to commute could come from my money.

I’d definitely consider going to a nearby college that offers a substantial scholarship. If NYU turns out to be too expensive or doesn’t accept me, I’ll take that into consideration.

@JayLab does your high school have a newspaper, literary magazine or something like that? If so, are you doing that? If not, why not?

The most successful journalist I know was the editor of our high school paper. He founded a well regarded newspaper. Another journalism major I know became a very well regarded conductor of orchestras. Another went on to do political writing, another did the production end. Another was a broadcast journalist for a well known channel.

ALL of these people did this type of work for their high school and college papers, radio and TV stations, literary magazines etc. AND in college, a lot of that work happened late at night. Very late. How will your parents feel if you need to do these types of things at your college and it happens at night…after classes end.

I think getting involved on the high school level is where you need to start if you haven’t done so already. What IS your current journalism experience?

So…you will commute 3 hours a day (round trip), take classes full time, be involved in journalism activities at your college and work part time?

You know…you need time to study, eat and sleep too.

Maybe. They’re a bit farther than NYU and might give OOS extra tuition, but I could apply and see. Do they have good programs?